Journal vs. Chit-Chat

Springbok

Hi everyone

As most of you would've noticed, this forum now consists of 2,345 registered members who have made a combined almost 50,000 postings! The growth seems to be exponential and obviously we need to be mindful of the amount of space all this valuable information takes up, and also what is really relevant to immigration and what is not.

While the general stance is that this forum is an immigration assistance network and not so much a social one, we do recognize the need for some members to socialize here to some extent, and it was for that purpose that the Chit-Chat forum was created. Topics on that forum will stay visible for as long as folks want to chat about it, but will get pruned two weeks after it loses interest among the membership.

Some folks appear to confuse the Chit-Chat forum with the Journals forum and I think we just need to highlight the difference between the two. The intent of the Journals forum is for people who want to write about their immigration experiences in Australia and not just for any run-of-the-mill experiences or poetry or whatever. While there will always be varied opinions about this, please let's try to keep the distinction between the two fora clear and reserve the Journals forum for stuff that has a bearing on immigration and will be of use to future immigrants.

Thanks.

Ag ou suurknol!

Springbok,

Skaars 'n host en jy gooi jou gewiggie ne? Se journals nie dis vir skrywers nie? Jan Stoof het sy alie afgeskryf in journals en dit was definitief nie oor emigrasie dinge nie. Mauritz het geskryf oor alles en nog wat.

Ek gee toe dat die forum vir mense is wat besig is met die emigrasie proses maar ek dink daar moet ook iets wees wat mense kan opbeur en laat goed voel. Dalk laat vergeet van al die swaar en sukkel.

Juis iets geskryf deur iemand wat ook van Suid Afrika af kom en wat weet hoe moeilik die hele proses is. My hele doel met my skrywe is om my mense op te beur en te laat besef dat daar 'n liggie aan die einde van die tonnel is.....dat, as die groot trek uiteindelik verby is, dan is daar tyd vir iets moois ook in die lewe.

Nie alles is net swart of wit nie, jong man, daar is grys ook tussen in.

Se reguit en moenie om hoekies en draaitjies kom met my nie..as jy wil he ek moet ophou skryf, se so.

Hendie, verander dan journals dat die posts ook verdwyn na 2 weke, dan spaar jy nogtans plek.

Springbok, dis nou nie of my wereld se boom gaan uitval as ek nie meer op die forum is nie, die lewe is tog meer as net 'n rekenaar.

Ek se weer, as daar iets wat iemand pla, praat reguit...ek haat dubbelsinnigheid, ek sukkel om dit te verstaan want ek is 'n plein en simpel mens mens.

Betsy.

NS. Ek vra mooi aan die moderators om asb. nie my post af te haal nie. ek het niks om weg te steek nie. Sorry Hendie, ek bedoel nie sleg nie. Betsy.

Edited by Kannidood

Springbok,

If this is the case then the description of Journals on the front page is misleading. I was under the impression it was a place for members to exercise their creative talents. I can't speak for others but I enjoy reading the experiences of others in Journals, whether their post has to do with immigration or not. I think it's rather insulting to those who have written in Journals to have their efforts called "run of the mill experiences, poetry or whatever." If you read some of the posts you can see that the writers are revealing a part of themselves and it shouldn't be dismissed like that. If space is such a problem then why not prune journals too from time to time?

I know things often come across in a different way as was intended on a forum but honestly the tone of your post sounds a lot like you have a bit of a gripe not with the Journals section itself but with the people who post there. Perhaps worded differently it would receive a more positive reaction.

Just my 2c worth.

Hi Julle,

Ek dink nie Springbok wil he julle moet enig sins op hou skryf nie! KD jy weet mos ons ALMAL, selfs hy hou van jou werk!!!

Die Forum raak net vol! Even my Africa's Rhythm was Chit chat toe geskuif!! Dis mos okay man!!!

Toemaar Springbokkie man ons like jou en jy is 'n Financial Ghoeroe!!! Baie geluk met die Host skap!!

Lovies

Nilo

NS: Toe is die ene my 1000ste post!!

Edited by Nilo

Springbok was not gooiing his gewig around whe he wrote his missive at the top of this thread. He was conveying a decision made by the host team to you, the membership of the forum. We continually keep our finger on the pulse of the forum, and keep on striving to make it the best immigration forum on the web. To that end, we will sometimes share things with you as well :ilikeit: With respect to Chit-Chat vs. Journals, we felt it prudent to share with you the intent of the two areas after some discussion amongst the hosts. There are more forums on the Internet than I can even imagine, each with its own area of specialization. This one is for immigration assistance to South Africans coming to Australia. Therefore when a sub-forum like Journals is bylined with "Undercover writer? How about sharing some of your experiences with us? Post your stories here!" it is meant to be taken in the context of immigration. Come on, it's not rocket science after all? There is no hidden agenda to stop anyone from contributing, merely to keep order on the forum. This is one of the foremost immigration forums on the web today, and it has that status because of our host team and their loving but jealous guard of the level and quality of discussion recorded here. Please don't misunderstand our intentions.

Enjoy!

Nilo,

Jy is dierbaar om te probeer suikertjies op smeer...maar dit werk nie. Sy bewoording was uiters onsensitief en ek is oud en lelik genoeg om tussen die lyne te lees. Ek weet die forum raak vol, daar kan 'n ander plan gemaak word deur Hendie, beslis nie deur 'n rookie nie. Ek het nie nodig om in die bek geruk te word soos 'n halstarrige perd deur iemand wat nou 'n klein bietjie mag gekry het nie. Lees die onderskrif van journals en se vir my of ek dan rerig so stupid is. Dit wat ek uit my hart uit geskryf het, veral vandag se posts, is heeltemal afgekraak tot iets onbenulligs. Is dit hoe ons Suid Afrikaners maar maak. Die bo dorp en die onder dorp sindroom?

Dedrei het my goed geskuif, maar sy het dit so mooi gedoen en vir my 'n pm gestuur...DIT WAS OK! Maar hierdie ander een!!! NEE WAT MAN. Hy is te slim vir sy boots en het geen respek vir sy naaste nie, ook nie vir ouer persone nie. Ek se weer, ek is nie stupid nie, ek lyk net anders!

KD.

Thanks for clearing that up Hendie. Maybe I am just plain dof :ilikeit: but honestly I thought that Journals was for people to write about anything they liked (within reason of course) and was one of the "not necessarily about immigration" sections of the forum (such as chit-chat, funnies, recipes etc). Anyway, now we know. :ilikeit:

"Come on, it's not rocket science after all'

Gee, thanks Hendie, for making me feel even more stupid than that other blesbokkie does!

Most of my stories ARE South Africa versus OZ related. Please treat me as you would treat (more clever?) others. I am not a child and don't make me sit in the corner....I will not.

As always, yours truly...Kannidood.

Ja, now we know

I agree with MzT : Journals I thought was about anything and everything but a sort of a longer story / journal whereas chit chat means to me just a quick word or two. If you chit chat then it's just a chat but a journal is a story and that is where I looked for the stories was under journals not chit chat and the members that have written under journals even though it might not have been relevant to immigration but the member is. Don't know if I am making any sense but leave the members that they write their stories under journals. Its never bothered anyone and if it goes about running out space then KD's suggestion about deleting journals of over 2 weeks will help won't it ?

Betsy, ek is jammer as jy nou nóg meer stupid voel (as ... ?), dit was nie die bedoeling nie. Ons het gesê hoe die twee forums werk, en dis hoe dit gaan bly staan. Indien ons plasings op verkeerde plekke vind, sal ons dit skuif na 'n meer paslike forum (dié word al van die begin af gedoen). Kom ons stop nou die argument. Verdere woorde kan net skade doen.