Desktop computer compatibility between SA and Aus

Nieuwoudts

Hi.

I currently have a desktop PC here in SA and recently spend quite a lot of money on it upgrading it. For this reason I would not like to sell it because I'm going to loose to much money. Can anyone tell me whether or not I will be able to use my PC in Aus as I think the voltage between us and them are different?

Hallo,

Sover ek weet, is die krag 230V, dieselfde as hier. Ek gaan my desktop ook saamvat, met alles wat daarmee saamgaan. Dis net die kragproppe wat verskil. Soos ek kan aflei, is hulle pennetjies vierkantig en nie rond nie.

Groetnis

JJ

ps. Is ek reg? Wil iemand nie ASB vir ons 'n foto plaas nie???

Dankie vir jou antwoord.

Ek was ook met 'n ander ou wat 'n rekenaar plek het in verbinding. Hy het vir my dieselfde antwoord gegee. Wou net seker maak daar is nog iemand daar buite wat dieselfde daaroor dink.

Kyk net bietjie na die file wat ek ge-attach het. Die file kan nogal handig te pas kom maar nou wonder ek of ek die inligting daarin reg verstaan. Daarin sal jy sien dat die volts en ook ander goed (ek's nie elektronies

aangele nie) tussen SA en Aus verskil. Dis hoekom ek die vraag gevra het.

Electrical_Reference_Chart.pdf

The only investment you will nedd to make to get your computer compatible to Australia is a new plug which will cost you between $1 & $3 although you can really upgrade and buy a cable with a plug already attached.

Your computer will be just fine here as will all your electrical goodies, yes even your hairdryer will work here.

Good luck

Des

Edited by DesV

I don't think I would be too concerned about what is in that document. It says that the voltage in Australia is 240 while South Africa is 220/250. From what I remember (and this is going back a long, long time) in most areas in SA it was 220/230V, but some places, notably Pretoria and Port Elizabeth had 250V.

As far as I know, the standard voltage in Australia is not 240V. That is what it used to be up until about seven years ago, now it is 230V. So, did all the lights suddenly go dim when they did this? Well, actually no, because it was all done on paper. The voltage is not exactly as specified - there is a range, or tolerance, that it is allowed to be in, and all they really did was increase the tolerance - so the "old" voltage is within the tolerance specified for the "new" voltage (the range is from -6% to +10%). Most electrical equipment can handle such relatively small differences.

Yep, bring it over, you won't have any problems.

We took our 'pooter from the UK, to SA, to Aus, and are happily running it over here. All that was needed was a change in plugs, or adapters.

Same goes for our Hi-fi, Xbox, Electric toothbrushes, Heater, Phone chargers.... (you get the picture)

The voltage does vary by 10 to 30 volts between the UK, SA and Australia but it doesn't affect applicanes.

Whaaooo!!

Thanx alot for all your replies / help on this issue.

If this is a prelude of how things are done in Aus, then I really can't wait to get there.

Eugene.

We brought all the electronics’ and electrics’ and they are doing fine. It is only the plugs that differ.

To make the change easier in the beginning I made a couple of “adapters” that take Sa plugs but have a Aussie plug that goes into the wall socket:

The Aussie socket and plug

post-890-1193825591.jpgpost-890-1193825577.jpg

A lead with 2 Sa socket (e.g. for washer and drier) with Aus plug.

post-890-1193825611.jpg

Multi plug for all the kitchen goodies.

post-890-1193825638.jpg

You will need this for your Sa stuff that has the plug-converter in one (cell charge and electric shaver).

Sorry but I have to add.

We did not bring the TV but got one here. I think that TV from Sa do not work in Aus.

You fridge must be CFC free to bring it to Aus.

To make the change easier in the beginning I made a couple of “adapters” that take Sa plugs but have a Aussie plug that goes into the wall socket:

We had a similar extension cord when we arrived - it was very useful. I called it the "very long extension" because one end could be in Australia, while the other was in SA.

Be careful though that you don't exceed the common Aussie plug/socket rating though, it is only 10amps. Unless you have a very impressive computer that won't be an issue but watch out with things like heaters, kettles, driers, . . .

I think that TV from Sa do not work in Aus.

The SA and Aussie TV systems are similar but not exactly the same - the spacing between the sound and vision is slightly different, which means that you might get a good picture with no sound, or, if you adjust the tuning to improve the sound, the picture goes bad. Older SA TVs needed to be changed by a technician to get them to work in Australia - probably not worth doing. Newer TVs will probably be OK, as they can handle different systems, but you might have to hunt around in the settings menu to find where to change it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ninja Turtle
We brought all the electronics’ and electrics’ and they are doing fine. It is only the plugs that differ.

The Aussie socket and plug

post-890-1193825591.jpgpost-890-1193825577.jpg

A lead with 2 Sa socket (e.g. for washer and drier) with Aus plug.

post-890-1193825611.jpg

Multi plug for all the kitchen goodies.

post-890-1193825638.jpg

You will need this for your Sa stuff that has the plug-converter in one (cell charge and electric shaver).

We brought our TV and it worked fine, it's a late model Sansui

• 2 weeks later...
Does the normal telephone socket for the modem fit?

Sorry, I'm blonde....

Does this mean our Iburst modem will work in Australia?

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, I'm blonde....

Does this mean our Iburst modem will work in Australia?

Well, I think that the telephone sockets here in Aus is the same size as the ons in SA. See attached Photo

cat3split.png