flies

Overtaker

hi all,

well summer is here, and the flies seem to be arriving. And to top it all, I don't seem to be able to convince my kids to leave the fly screens closed, so the house is filling up with annoying little beasties.

So having tried the venus fly trap route - which didn't work - what tred and tested methods are there for sorting out the flies.

In RSA we just used fly paper / ribbons, which seemed to work, but I haven't seen it around here at all.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

hi all,

well summer is here, and the flies seem to be arriving. And to top it all, I don't seem to be able to convince my kids to leave the fly screens closed, so the house is filling up with annoying little beasties.

So having tried the venus fly trap route - which didn't work - what tred and tested methods are there for sorting out the flies.

In RSA we just used fly paper / ribbons, which seemed to work, but I haven't seen it around here at all.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Here in Eneabba we keep fly nets, Mortein and Aerogard as stock items in the store. They also stock fly paper- Aeroxon fliegenfanger...

So keep on looking and order in bulk!!! They tell me that the flies will be getting worse. I am trying to convice myself that they are sweet loyal little pets.

Now can any one tell me. Is the flies in oz more than in SA or are there just less people around to keep them occupied?

Try getting a zapper, its one of those electric thingies that zap the bugs flying into it, its got a blue light. Or try getting a old paint can, a thingie(fly trap) that fits over the can got it on Ebay then put a piece of rotten meat in the can, make sure its down wind otherwise you can't live near it for the smell................ It works but it pongs. :) I have been able to buy sticky fly ribbon on Ebay,

I don't seem to be able to convince my kids to leave the fly screens closed, so the house is filling up with annoying little beasties.
Hi Rich,

The best advice I can give you, is to reward the kids for keeping the fly screens closed!

SAS

Put springs on the flydoors so that they close by themselves.

cheers

Hi Camper,

I just had to look on your profile if you are a male or female. :P What a practical. logical, stupid but brilliant solution! :) Why can't I, being female think of that? :angry: Here I am sitting and thinking my butt of what to do with the same dilemma I've got and here you are with a short but sweet answer! :ilikeit: Bravo!

Regards, Kannidood.

Put springs on the flydoors so that they close by themselves.

cheers

thought of that, but they're sliding doors, and to get a long enough spring is a challenge, and my 2 yr old also needs to be able to get in and out so it can't be too strong.

I figure its ok if the flies come in the house, but if they do, then they need to head straight for some gadget and die - be it fly paper, zapper or what ever. I just need to know what actually works, adn where to get it...

thought of that, but they're sliding doors, and to get a long enough spring is a challenge, and my 2 yr old also needs to be able to get in and out so it can't be too strong.

I figure its ok if the flies come in the house, but if they do, then they need to head straight for some gadget and die - be it fly paper, zapper or what ever. I just need to know what actually works, adn where to get it...

On asliding door you use a small pulley, string and a counter weight to suit, with a child the weight will be just enough to close the door but easy enough for the child to open, to make it even more child proof let the weight slide up and down in a piece of pipe.

keeping them out is the best remedy.

cheers

Camper

I have my house sprayed once a year. The spray kills all creepy crawleys and if flies do come in, they don't last long and die as well. This might be an option for you.

The spray used inside the house is non toxic. The house is protected for 6 months if it is the 1st time you spray and then for 12 months if you spray the 2nd time and thereafter.

SAS

I have my house sprayed once a year. The spray kills all creepy crawleys and if flies do come in, they don't last long and die as well. This might be an option for you.

The spray used inside the house is non toxic. The house is protected for 6 months if it is the 1st time you spray and then for 12 months if you spray the 2nd time and thereafter.

SAS

Cool - now that sounds like a plan...

Exactly what spray is it, and where can one get it? Or who does it?

When you've figured that one out, Rich, send me an email and I'll let the missus read it so that she'll know what to do.

Flyscreens on your windows keeps flies and mozzies out to a large extent, but then if you've got kids, getting them to close doors after they've gone through them is what we'd all like to see . . . . even when they turn into big bruisers like my 24 year old young bloke.

Cool - now that sounds like a plan...

Exactly what spray is it, and where can one get it? Or who does it?

Hi Rich,

I can't see from your profile where in Aus you are. I am in Sydney and use a local pest control company. You should be able to find one in your local yellow pages.

The only information I have of the poison they use to spray the inside of the house, is that it is made out of flowers. Look up a couple of pest control companies in your area and give them a call. Here in Sydney, they give you a quote over the phone based on the size of your house. Also ask them what type of poison they use inside the house and whether it is toxic.

The first time I had my house sprayed around September. The company guaranteed their work for 6 months, which was until winter started and the insects and flies were less. Every year now, I have it sprayed in September and I have no problems for the rest of the year and the company guarantees their work for the entire year.

If you don't come right, PM me and I'll send you the details of the company I use.

SAS

Edited by SASydneysider

Can you be sure the spray they use, even if it lasts a few months has no chemicals/poisons that could harm your family? maybe do a little research.......

Rich PM your address so I can pop a packet of fly ribbon for you.

Can you be sure the spray they use, even if it lasts a few months has no chemicals/poisons that could harm your family? maybe do a little research.......
The contents of the spray can be requested from the company. This type of thing is quite strict here in Aus and I don't believe they will give you a guarantee that it is chemical free if it actually isn't. Get a list of the contents and have someone check it out to make sure it is safe.
Does anyone know how long these little buggers are going to visit us ?
I've found they are around for most of summer and become less as winter approaches. Still a long wait!!

SAS

I've found they are around for most of summer and become less as winter approaches. Still a long wait!!

SAS

Not sure what they are like in Sydney but they are so much worse this year. When we arrived (just over a year ago) we didn't understand what all the fuss about flies was as there were less than in Durban - but this year is bad :ilikeit:

We've just bought a $10 fly trap from Bunnings which contains a liquid which atracts them in and drowns them. Seems to be working so far and relatively odourless (although the odour is meant to build up as it fills with flies). The electric zappers don't work unless you stick bait in them as most flies are not attracted to light.

Not sure what they are like in Sydney but they are so much worse this year. When we arrived (just over a year ago) we didn't understand what all the fuss about flies was as there were less than in Durban - but this year is bad :ilikeit:

We've just bought a $10 fly trap from Bunnings which contains a liquid which atracts them in and drowns them. Seems to be working so far and relatively odourless (although the odour is meant to build up as it fills with flies).

We have been in Sydney (Hills area) for 4 and a half years and I must honestly admit, I have less flies at my home now than what I had at my home in SAfrica. I have not found the fly problem worse than years before. I can walk outside in my garden and also in the neighbourhood without flies all around me.

I was in the Sydney CBD earlier this week and there the flies are a bit of a hassle. Towards the Blue Mountains and the more rural areas, the flies are bad too, but then it was like that in years gone by.

I used the fly trap in SAfrica (not sure if it's the same one you have) and I just couldn't handle the smell, which becomes worse as time goes by. Once this fly trap is full, it has to be cleaned and boy oh boy, that's a job to make me never ever wanting to use it again! I just got rid of mine straight into the dirt bin!

I was paging again through a book I bought a few years ago. It is called: Good Housekeeping - the eco-friendly home.

The book has a section about household pests. Some of these things you guys already do, but I do not know if you knew about the herbs, I didn't. So here is the piece regarding flies. I am not one for fly traps either, because we had one in Namibia and I am sure we attracted even the neighbors' flies, because their numbers didn't decrease.

Bluebottle and house flies are pests that are attracted to your home by rotting food and open food containers. Instead of reaching for the standard fly spray which , allthough an effective killer, contains harmful chemicals and artificial perfumes that are neither healthy or naturally biodegradable, avoid infestation in the first place. You can do this by covering food, clearing away leftovers straight away and generally keeping kitchens and dining rooms clean. Grow and dry fresh herbs in and around your home to scent the air and repel flies. Keep rubbish bins clean and site them as far from your home as possible.

I have no idea how many herbs you need to plant to repel all the flies, because you are bound to have flies from the neighbor's rubbish bin and in rural areas, from animal farms, but maybe it will make a little bit of difference. Dog poo is another flie magnet. So if you have a dog, also pick up after him in your backyard , same as you would have done when you take him for a walk in the park. Sies, that is why I prefer cats.

Regards,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr