Missing SA

crasand

Hey everyone,

I really enjoy reading this forum and the interaction with all my fellow current and ex South Africans.

I am based in Perth really enjoying my time here. I have been here for almost 4 months. I have relocated by myself and have some distant cousins that I met for the first time on arrival. They have been great.

I am enjoying the easy pace of life, no crime and the friendly Ozzies. I am also enjoying the weather now that this unusually wet winter has passed.

I am missing home though. I am from Durban and I love Durban this time of the year. I miss the warm and friendly South Africans who are easy to talk to. I had a business meeting with someone this morning (a South African) and it was really nice to connect with someone from home. Feels like we speak the same language.

How are other people coping who have just recently moved over? I would be interested to know.

Hope everyone is well otherwise.

O yes, and well done to the Bokke

C

Hi C,

"speak the same English?" :ilikeit:

Isn't it strange that both nationalities DO speak English, but it's so different!!

I decided to throw myself into as many things as possible when I got here so I didn't have time to start missing SA. I have made a pile of new friends, got involved in volunteer work and I have connected with a motorbike crowd, stated up my tennis again, and now my MTB has arrived, that as well!

Work also keeps me very busy.

Of course I miss my SA friends and my Dad, but so far I haven't had any feelings of homesickness. That's not to say I don't have bad days, but we had that back in SA too.

I don't read on-line newspapers about SA either.

I have been accpeted by all sorts of people here as just one them, and that has helped tremendously.

I have been very lucky.

Hope you get over your blue days soon!

Tracy

Hi C

I think you've been very brave to come here by yourself! Not many of us would be able to do that. So keep being strong - the more activities you do, the more people you'll meet!

My husband and I have also only been here for 2 months and have just tried to continue our lives as per normal. I'm finding Perth a great place to live and the people are incredibly helpful and friendly!

Where in Perth are you based?

Hiya.

I totally agree, the more you integrate into the local community the quicker you settle.Australia as a HUGE volunteer attitude, they are the highest volunteering country in the world!! The nice thing is you can also volunteer to do things you really have an interest in from sport, to education to social etc. Evening classes are also a GREAT way to integrate.

A bit controversial BUT dont surround yourselves with South Africans, the aussies wil not respect you for it!! We integrated into an dads group of 6 dads. It has been GREAT, and they have accepted us into their group so quickly (all aussies) we are now invited to barbies, weekends away dinner etc!!

Cheers

P.

P/Reid,

Your comment about not mixing with other Saffers is so true, and I know it could be wrongly interpreted.

It's not that I wouldn't want to meet other Saffers or mix with them, or even ignore them if our paths DID cross, but I'm not actively looking for them. It's amazing that Alice is a small(ish) town and I know there are Saffers here, 2 on this forum who have been very helpful to me!, but so far not bumped into them.

This is not meant to sound rude at all, but to mix with Aussies as much as possible is the way to go.

I am also here on my own and have made some aussie friends and make sure I am busy on weekends.

Like others I dont want to be in a little South Africa I am getting involved with all the stuff I did in RSA but with Aussies.

As has been mentioned they are very accepting