Who stays in Queensland Mackay

Ester

Would like to chat to people from South African staying in Mackay Queensland and how u find everyday life

Would like to chat to people from South African staying in Mackay Queensland and how u find everyday life

Hi Ester

We know a family that moved from the Gold Coast to Mackay as they are involved in sugar cane and thats the area where it is farmed the most. They seem to enjoy living there and have not looked back..

Sorry cant be much more help

Guest fishermanswife

Hello,

We have a friend who came to Brisbane, disliked the city life and went up to Mackay. He has two young children and they are very settled. They love it . Apparently it is very laid back ,few shopping centres and not much to do other than fishing and lazing on the beach.It also gets very hot.

A few Aussies have told me that from Gladstone up the coast your cannot swim in the sea because of saltwater crocs. I am not sure how true that is though.

The salaries up there are higher then here because alot of mining is done around that area.

Hope my 2dollars worth helps

Are you here, or still to arrive? I am in Mackay.

No problem with crocs here. More problems with erakangi (cant remeber the spelling) jelly fish and snakes and spiders.

It is warmer than Brisbane but a lot wetter. On the weather every night it is a few degrees cooler than north or south of here. He town is small ( about 10 x 10 blocks )

Housing and rentals a re a bit pricey due to mining. Prior to the mining boom it was impossible to get work here unless you were a long time resident or knew somebody who could get you in.

I prefer it to bigger cities now, but struggled for a while coming from JHB.

A large and growing South African community

Edited by LeeInOz