Trying to land a job - being a Woman

Ester

Can anyone please tell me how to land a job in Australia Queensland??? We've arrived here 3 months ago and we are on a 457 visa. I've got a pretty good resume with 12 years working experience at the mines in south africa. My husband is working for and electrical company. I'm getting invited to all the interviews for the positions i apply for but just dont get the job? What am i doing wrong????

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Ester

The only way to know is to ask. There is no harm contacting 2 or 3 of the people who interviewed you and ask for honest feedback. Tell them you would apppreciate some pointers. It could be something you haven't even thought of.

In general, all I can suggest is

-Research the company online before you go to the interview, so you at least know what they do, where their head office is, what their share price trades at, what they manufacture, etc.

-Be prepared for the 'strengths & weaknesses' question. Try to turn your weakness into a postive.

-Never wear more than 5 peices of jewellry including wedding ring & earrings

-Dress smartly but not too much perfume or make-up

-Shake hands firmly but don't crush. Everyone hates a wet fish handshake

-Be 10 minutes early

-Relax and know your CV. Try to treat the interview like a conversation or a meeting. Have some questions ready to ask THEM!

-Don't ask about maternity policy, leave or childcare in the first interview

-Try to memorise names as they introduce themselves and use them in the interview. If they give you a business card leave it on the table in front of you so you can refer in need (Don't get their names wrong! ;) )

-Take a copy of your CV so you can look up dates etc if you need to.

-Speak SLOWER than usual. You probably have an accent that sounds very different to the Aussie ear. They may be wondering if customers wll be able to understand you.

Don't give up. :lol:

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

Have your resume drawn up Australian Style.

General RSA resume have far to much detail.

Australians are intimidated by to much details on a CV!!!

Good Luck

Have your resume drawn up Australian Style.

General RSA resume have far to much detail.

Australians are intimidated by to much details on a CV!!!

Good Luck

Thank you so much will do this and keep u all updated