Fluoride in water in Brisbane

row

Apparently Brisbane is the only capital city in Australia that does not add fluoride to it’s water. My doctor has recommended that I give my kids (until they are 12yrs) a fluoride supplement. It seems quite a few people I have spoken to are not aware of this. I buy it from the chemist in liquid form and give it to the kids every morning when we brush teeth. The dose is very small, but apparently it makes a huge difference with tooth decay etc.

I realise that there has been a fair amount of controversy around this issue, so chat to your doctor or dentist and see what is best for you.

Hiya

Just to give the flipside, we've done some research and decided against supplementing our daughter. Our reasons being that as long as teeth are cleaned regularly and well, kids are no more likely to develop tooth decay - the kids toothpastes here contain fluoride (well, Colgate at least, not sure about the others!), and brushing twice a day they should get the recommended maximum dosage just from this - certainly until they're old enough to spit it out after brushing! The research does seem to vary quite a bit, but didn't fancy giving her more poison unnecessarily.

Clare x

Beware of fluoride!

I was the perfect Mom with my nr 1 and gave the "correct" amount of fluoride supplement. His permanent teeth has yellow spots in, and the dentist (who told me to add fluoride) says it is because of too much fluoride. GET THAT!

Nr 2 I did not attend so closely to this - she's fine, beautiful normal teeth!!

Seeya

This is one of those debates that can go either way...I was a guinnea pig in the 70's when flouride was not available in SAfrica - my mother was a dental nurse and we got special toothpaste from USA to trial for 6 months - well, I have many fillings - so I think that starting at an age when your permanent teeth are out is not the right time to start taking flouride. (as they made us do in those days) When my kids came along I religeously gave them their correct amount of zymaflour tablets they needed for their age right up until their permanent teeth came out. They are now 22,19 and 17 and except for 1 of them, the other three have absolutley no marks and not one filling... so who knows if it works or doesnt - but I compare my kids teeth to those of their friends that have grown up in Queensland all their lives and I hate to say this but - my kids have beautiful teeth compared to some of the kids here.. In South Africa they already have flouride in their water, so sometimes areas had more than others and that could explain the spots on your daughters teeth - but here there is absolutely none and judging by my experience I dont think just the toothpaste is enough...but then again... I am no dentist...

This is one of those debates that can go either way...I was a guinnea pig in the 70's when flouride was not available in SAfrica - my mother was a dental nurse and we got special toothpaste from USA to trial for 6 months - well, I have many fillings - so I think that starting at an age when your permanent teeth are out is not the right time to start taking flouride. (as they made us do in those days) When my kids came along I religeously gave them their correct amount of zymaflour tablets they needed for their age right up until their permanent teeth came out. They are now 22,19 and 17 and except for 1 of them, the other three have absolutley no marks and not one filling... so who knows if it works or doesnt - but I compare my kids teeth to those of their friends that have grown up in Queensland all their lives and I hate to say this but - my kids have beautiful teeth compared to some of the kids here.. In South Africa they already have flouride in their water, so sometimes areas had more than others and that could explain the spots on your daughters teeth - but here there is absolutely none and judging by my experience I dont think just the toothpaste is enough...but then again... I am no dentist...

OOps sorry didnt mean to call your son a girl..:)

Guest Bronwyn

Wow I had completely forgotten about Zymaflour tablets. In a little pink dispenser, powdery minty white things? That took me back 25 years! :)

Edited by Bronwyn