DSTV

Overtaker

Ya look I prefer Foxtel to DSTV to be quite honest. More channels with better programs for my tastes. What I do miss though is Supersport which I found to be much better then fox sports.Not to mention I would prefer to listen to South African commentators who are a little less biased.

But everyone thinks that I suppose :ilikeit:

You need your neighbours permission

We once had a german lady in our town house complex - she insited that her neighbour remove his DSTV dish, because "the signals form the dish was causing her plants to die". She confirmed this with "scientific studies". :ilikeit:

There are incredibly stupid people out there...

My neighbours approved, ordered my stuff from Space TV in SA, so DSTV here i come ....... I guess they don't stop the magic

What size would be recommended for cities like Sydney and Melbourne? I'm making the safe assumption that the signal gets weaker the further east you go.

Hi Jules,

What I believe is that Perth is on the very edge of the signal stream and that's why a huge/wide dish is required. May be some one in Melbourne or Sydney can respond to whether they have DSTV over there?

AA

The footprint on the internet seem to indicate that the IS10 C band footprint goes all the way to Sydney but have not heard of anybody picking up DSTV in Melbourne or Sydney. If you live on the eastern side AUS your best bet probably is to get somebody with a motorised C - Band dish to first confirm whether they can see IS10 before you go off and buy any equipment.

Something else nobody has mentioned thus far. It is definitely against DSTV's terms and conditions to subscribe to it outside of sub-Saharan Africa. They do not have broadcasting rights for their content in Australia. You may even be breaking Australian copyright law...

BTW you need a 2.4m+ dish even in Africa if you cannot see one of the spot KU band beams.

Edited by GTrotter

Something else nobody has mentioned thus far. It is definitely against DSTV's terms and conditions to subscribe to it outside of sub-Saharan Africa. They do not have broadcasting rights for their content in Australia. You may even be breaking Australian copyright law...

Very good question actually!

I currently live in Canada and although several American satellite companies have their signal cover Canada, it is VERY illegal to subscribe. The same applies to the Canadian satellite companies who have their signal that cover the USA. Americans may not subscribe to Canadian satellite because of many international copyright laws.

It kind of makes sense because the service providers pays fees for a certain region only. Take a Trinations rugby game - Supersport pays to show it in Africa and some Australian provider pays for Australia. This topic is a hot potatoe in North America because USA and Canadian satellite signals cover the whole continent and even down to the Caribbean. I've heard of people getting big fines and the distribution dealers (knowingly selling & installing) getting arrested. :ph34r: