Houses Adelaide

Die Krugers

Hi All!

I've heard that most of the houses in Australia are not made of brick anymore, especially the newer homes. Apparently they are very cold, because the wind still blows into the house and it's not airtight. My husband always complains, because I am always cold in winter, I cannot imagine how much worse it can be if you have wind coming into your house. I was hoping that maybe there are still some houses built of brick (apparently a double outer brick wall makes quite a difference) that you can rent, as we will be renting for quite a while before we would probably be able to afford a house. Also, are there enough furnished houses to rent, or will we struggle to get a furnished 2 bedroom house?

Thanks everyone!

Tania

Hi All!

I've heard that most of the houses in Australia are not made of brick anymore, especially the newer homes. Apparently they are very cold, because the wind still blows into the house and it's not airtight. My husband always complains, because I am always cold in winter, I cannot imagine how much worse it can be if you have wind coming into your house. I was hoping that maybe there are still some houses built of brick (apparently a double outer brick wall makes quite a difference) that you can rent, as we will be renting for quite a while before we would probably be able to afford a house. Also, are there enough furnished houses to rent, or will we struggle to get a furnished 2 bedroom house?

Thanks everyone!

Tania

Hi Tania

I'm not sure who gave you that information, but here in Warwick Queensland, the newer houses are all built from brick. I have searched on www.realestate.com.au website (for Adelaide) and there are loads of brick rentals. As far as furnished accomodation goes, that may be a bit trickier (and remember, the rental will be a lot higher because its furnished).

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Tania

This winter was quite cold in Adelaide. I would not worry too much what the house is built of. Rather worry about whether there is heating. Ask whether there is a reverse-cycle aircon, or exactly how the house is heated.

It is colder in the Adelaide Hills (3-5 degrees lower), so if you don't like the cold you should avoid the Hills.

You can look for a house to rent on http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsear...en&snf=rbs&a=sf

Most are not furnished, but I think you can do an advanced search and look for furnished houses.

If you are only looking for 2 bedrooms, it might be cheaper to just rent a few items seperately, like a fridge and lounge suite. Radio Rentals is the place most people go, and each item will only cost you a few dollars a week. Here is their site- http://www.radio-rentals.com.au/

There is also a big IKEA here, and you can pick up plates, glasses, & cutlery basics quite cheaply. The stuff will be new & funky.

You should narrow your search to 3 or 4 suburbs, depending on where you will work and whether you will use public transport, if you need to consider schools, etc. When you know your suburbs you can narrow it down, or else the search is too wide.

I will give you some names of suburbs if you need me to. Just tell me more or less where you will be situated. I know it is hard to do from over there.

Hope it helps,

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

Tania!

You amaze me girl!

Last time I read a post from you, it seemed you were determined to live it up in Cape Town till the houses around you were burning down and the barricades had been stormed.

Now you want info on rentals in my home town?

Well, I'm glad to inform you that most South Aussie houses are brick . . . at least on the outside.

It's a feature called "brick veneer" cos that's exactly what you get . . . an outside 'veneer" of brickwork with the inner skin being a wooden framework over which is tacked Gyprock plasterboard that is painted in the latest Australian colour scheme.

Australian home buiders realised that it was cheaper to build a house this way, by putting up a wooden framework and just have a single wall of bricks on the outside for protection against the weather.

Over the wooden framework is tacked wooden panelling or Gyprock platerboard, etc. as an internal 'wall'.

This was a temporary cost-cutting economy of the war years (1940s) in Australia.

Maybe an outsider like yourself might like to let the Australian gov't know that World War 2 has finished and they can go back to building with double brick walls like the pre-war houses were!

By the way, my house isn't draughty. I built it myself, framing up myself and lining the inside myself.

If a house is "windy", it's a sure sign it wasn't built right . . . . windows and / or doors installed incorrectly.

Tania!

You amaze me girl!

Last time I read a post from you, it seemed you were determined to live it up in Cape Town till the houses around you were burning down and the barricades had been stormed.

Now you want info on rentals in my home town?

Well, I'm glad to inform you that most South Aussie houses are brick . . . at least on the outside.

It's a feature called "brick veneer" cos that's exactly what you get . . . an outside 'veneer" of brickwork with the inner skin being a wooden framework over which is tacked Gyprock plasterboard that is painted in the latest Australian colour scheme.

Australian home buiders realised that it was cheaper to build a house this way, by putting up a wooden framework and just have a single wall of bricks on the outside for protection against the weather.

Over the wooden framework is tacked wooden panelling or Gyprock platerboard, etc. as an internal 'wall'.

This was a temporary cost-cutting economy of the war years (1940s) in Australia.

Maybe an outsider like yourself might like to let the Australian gov't know that World War 2 has finished and they can go back to building with double brick walls like the pre-war houses were!

By the way, my house isn't draughty. I built it myself, framing up myself and lining the inside myself.

If a house is "windy", it's a sure sign it wasn't built right . . . . windows and / or doors installed incorrectly.

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply! Are you sure that it was me and not another Tania/Tanya? I was never determined to stay no matter what happens - my family is too important to me. Maybe you misunderstood my post in the general section, like most seemed to do, but I clarified it further down in the post.

I am more at ease to know that the houses are not 'windy'. Is there something you can do if you rent a place and it is'nt built properly and lets a draft in?

Have a great day!

Either I'm getting my "Tania / Tanya"s mixed up . . . . . or Dementia is kicking in earlier than I thought!

Forgive me.

Bob,

I think it's dementia.

Tania1000 (Tanya) as far as I can see all the old new and inbetween houses that I have taken an online tour of to rent and buy have looked pretty solid to me. Remember when you first get over you will rent what ever you get your hands on as long as it's a roof. Generally most will use the meet and greet houses and then use this time to take a first hand look around for something more suitable for the long haul until you buy or stay and continue to rent.

Regards

K&B