Converting Drivers License in WA

DesertDaisy

How do you convert your drivers licence in Oz? Do you have to get an international licence or can you just drive on your SA license. Or, worst case scenario, do you have to retake the test? What if you have more than one "code" (my dh for example, has a licence to drive heavy vehicles, old code 11, which he will need for his job)?

How do you convert your drivers licence in Oz? Do you have to get an international licence or can you just drive on your SA license. Or, worst case scenario, do you have to retake the test? What if you have more than one "code" (my dh for example, has a licence to drive heavy vehicles, old code 11, which he will need for his job)?

Hi DD,

This is one of those things that depends on your visa again. If you come in on a 457, then you are able to drive on your SA license, as long as it hasn't expired. Once you apply for PR, you need to sit the whole thing again to get an Aussie license. Also, if on a 457 and your SA license expires during the period covered, you need to either get your SA one renewed (difficult from here) or else get a local one.

CHeers

Ajay

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey everyone,

DD, I am glad that you have asked this question as there is something that I want to add here for ppl on their way to NSW :

To all South Africans moving to Australia from countries other than South Africa :

I have good news for you if you hold a licence from one of the following countries :

Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark

Finland, France, Germany, Greece

Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg

Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain

Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA

You do not need to redo the driver's test, nor do the knowledge test. If you have had your licence for longer than 12 months you can have your licence converted to an Australian licence with the minimum effort. This is also valid if you have a licence from one of the countries mentioned above which has expired within the last 5 years. You need to do the following :

1. If your licence is in another language have it translated to English (done by Community Relations Commission for a Multicultural NSW or the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.)

2. If your licence has country specific coding on e.g. for the specific vehicle you are allowed to drive, get a letter from the relevant consulate explaining the licence information.

3. Go to an RTA motor registry and present your licence.

4. Also take the following with you :

proof of your NSW address.

proof of your identity.

5. Take and pass an eyesight test.

6. Pay the fee (it changes all the time so find out before you go)

Hope it helps someone !

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Hi,

Sorry to butt in here, but I seem to remember from an earlier post that one doesn't need to take the practical test in WA, see the following Western Australia licenses, The practice test

Hope that helps

Cindylou

Hi there,

I live in WA, and I just walked into the offices and asked what I had to do to get my licence. They showed me a computer, and told me I could take the test whenever I wanted, and as many times as I wanted. Would I like to have a go right now? (And only pay if you make it!)

Needless to say, I walked out there with my temp license! That easy. No practical tests.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Great news!

It took me 3 tries to get my licence when I did it first time round some plenty-odd years ago, and I think I've only parallel-parked once since then (last week actually).

On a 457 in WA you have 3 months to convert your licence, the test is done on the pc (and you can practice on their site before you go), there is no practical test. For each different licence you hold you do a seperate theory test. For example I have a motorcycle as well as a car licence, I first did the motorbike one and then the car one. Just found the motorbike one also asked a lot of questions regarding the riding of the bike. Since I rode about 15 years ago I had to do a bit of guessing, but I got full marks, so it's really not hard and you don't have to stress about it that much. :boxing:

On a 457 in WA you have 3 months to convert your licence, the test is done on the pc (and you can practice on their site before you go), there is no practical test. For each different licence you hold you do a seperate theory test. For example I have a motorcycle as well as a car licence, I first did the motorbike one and then the car one. Just found the motorbike one also asked a lot of questions regarding the riding of the bike. Since I rode about 15 years ago I had to do a bit of guessing, but I got full marks, so it's really not hard and you don't have to stress about it that much. :boxing:

The rules changed about a week ago, a practical test is now required. I have some friends where the wife went in on the Friday and only did the theoretical and the husband went in on the Monday (after the rule change) and had to book a practical, long waiting list!!!

Leon