Melbourne

MANDYL

Our plans have changed from visiting Sydney to say goodbye to 2007 as accomodation just too expensive. We are now visiting Melbourne as from the 27th of December until the 2nd of January 2008. Planning to do a lot of sight seeing as we have intentions saying bye to the country and move to the bigger city. Any suggestions of good places to see ... I heard about the Zoo which I believe is a must.

Aahhh, dis jammer ons sal dan nog nie in Melbourne wees nie. Dalk as julle weer daar gaan kuier!

Groete

Lindie

Hi Mandyl

So much to do, so little time. Well the fireworks display on the Yarra River is a must for the 31/12/07.

Healesville Sanctuary is a good place to see for Aussie animals.

Penguin Parade on Phillip Island has always been a winner for our overseas visitors.

A day trip on the Great Ocean Road will always be remembered for the great scenery.

Coffee with Mara will not go amiss!

Thks Mara ! If you are available definitely- will contact you closer to time to arrange. We heard about the fireworks and where we are going to stay walking distance.

• 2 weeks later...

I can also recommend Healsville Sanctuary and the Great Ocean Road for a good drive - good windy roads and plenty to see. Will you have Transport MandyL, i.e, will you have a car?

For something different, you can have a meal on the TramCar restaurant as it takes you around the city - http://www.melbourne.com.au/tramcar.htm

Also - are either of you cricket fans? How about spending a day at a boxing day test at the MCG? That's about as Melbourne as it gets over Christmas. (although I do realise you don't have much time)

Definitely take a drive around the bay.

Maybe a Drive to Phillip Island. Plenty to see and do there.

Olinda is a nice little town in the Dandenong Ranges if you're into antiques, home cooked food, etc. (Pie in the Sky is a MUST, it's a gourmet pie restaurant)

If you're into watersports, you can hire a canoe or rowing boat and row along the Yarra? Good way to see the South Bank.

Just some random Ideas.

Hi Hansa - thks will definitely do the tram thing ! The plan was to go by car then hubby thought it best to go by train.

Our plans have changed from visiting Sydney to say goodbye to 2007 as accomodation just too expensive. We are now visiting Melbourne as from the 27th of December until the 2nd of January 2008. Planning to do a lot of sight seeing as we have intentions saying bye to the country and move to the bigger city. Any suggestions of good places to see ... I heard about the Zoo which I believe is a must.

Make sure you go to the Yarra valley. Very scenic and lovely coffee shops and curio shops to visit.

Melbourne city is great too. It is so old and has plenty of heritage. Lovely parks to stroll through. The lights on the river at night are very good. Stand on the bridge that looks up and down the Yarra river and you get to see all the boats too.

Cheers,

Craig