Cats and quarantine

Tim & Abby

Hi there, all

Well, our application continues, slowly but surely.

Today, though, I wondered if anyone had any advice on quarantine, because I haven't seen much posted on the site about it. We're bringing across four (ja, FOUR) cats. We heard that it's seven months of quarantine - three months in SA, four months in Oz. The recommended kennels seems to be Keringa in Pretoria (although we're based in CT, so we're already wondering how we'll survive without them for 10 months! :ilikeit:).

Recently, though, I heard that you can send pets to France and then Oz and the quarantine period is shorter. Does anyone know anything about this?

- Abby (& Tim)

P.S. Dodgy internet connection this evening, resulting in me clicking the "post" button a few times - Hope it doesn't come up as multiple posts!

Guest colton

I want to take my dogs over with us as they are my breeding pair. I have done lots of research on this matter. Unfortunately if you take your pets straight from Africa there is no getting away with the quarantine period: three months here and four months there. Obviously these people do not consider our pets as our family members or else they would understand the anguish both humans and pets are going to go through!!! If you fly them first into another country, like Dubai or U.K quarantine is one month there and a shorter period in Oz, not too sure how much shorter though.

I am still looking into it all but it seems definitely worth it to fly via one of the other countries first. Look on the Ausimmigration site re animals into australia. Good luck and please post any info you can find, would certainly help me :ilikeit:

Its because rabies is so common in South Africa.

We are fortunate because the UAE is rabies-free and therefore we will have far less hassles in bringing our cat over. All we have to do is give her a rabies shot (already done). Then after 3 weeks she has to have a blood test to confirm that the rabies shot has been effective. And then, 6 months from the date of the blood test, she will be allowed in to Oz without quarantine.

If however, we go before the 6 months are up, then whatever time is left of the 6 mths is what she will have to spend in quarantine.

Our local vet here arranges everything for you - from the shot itself, to the blood test, and to the flights and then for the boarding afterwards. Its going to be expensive, but Cleo is part of our family. In fact, my youngest says that Cleo is not just a cat, but a PeopleCat and she has decided that when she grows up she wants to be a cat too!

Well I think I am the only one on this forum, with pets in quarantine at the moment, so let me give my two cents.

They (my two beagle babies Ruby & Leo) have been in quarantine at Keringa for exactly two months now. We are from Cape Town originally. so Tim and Abby I really understand your concerns. Our babies went into quaratine two weeks before we left for oz. Thinking about it now, I would have rather put them into quarantine earlier in SA. Soon they will be on their way to Sydney and then just a 'short 4 months' and their home.

I really miss them so much, they are like my children. Hence, I call them my babies, my kinders. Prepare yourself that you will miss them like crazy, I mean really crazy. Somedays are just worst than others and I just go into sob mode :holy: It helps to let all the emotions get out and all the heartache too.

Please be rest assured, the people at Keringa are freaking amazing. No doubts about that. And you might ask how are the babies doing in quarantine, well they are having a ball. My female is even picking up weight, can you believe? I thought they might take it a bit difficult as they love attention and crave people company, so I started to fatten them up for quarantine. Just incase they don't do well and don't eat for some reason, that they don't get too thin. Well, yeah, that backfired on me, seriously. They are on strict diet once they are home.

Please, you are welcome to PM or email me and I'll forward you some pics of what it looks like and to see for yourselves how happy they are.

:ilikeit:

Don't worry, they will be absolutely fine in quarantine, believe me.

Well I think I am the only one on this forum, with pets in quarantine at the moment, so let me give my two cents.

<...snip>

This is exactly how we feel! We love our little kitties to bits and the idea of 7 months away from them is frankly, nuts. Nice to know that there are people that share these stupid mushy feelings, but decided to go ahead anyway (just like us). Anyway, we're looking into the whole thing and still trying to find a way to reduce quarantine time. If we figure any top-ultra-uber-secret way out, we'll let you all know.

Cheers,

Tim (and Abby)

I am going to throw my 2c worth in the wishing well here!

There is no shortcut Tim and Abby, unfortunately, be glad it is now down to 7 months, it used to be 9.

The root of the evil is rabies, it can have a very lengthy incubation period, from two weeks to six months. My understanding is also that there is no test, at this point, that they can do to check whether or not the animal is a rabies virus carrier during this incubation period. If you want to take dogs or cats from a country that has rabies, into a country that does not have rabies, you have to have the long quarantine period to ensure that there is no chance of you bringing rabies into the country that does not have it. You have to remember, it is not a rule made to make your life a misery, but to ensure the sheer preservation of a country's rabies free status.

There are countries from which you can take your cats and dogs into Australia with no quarantine at all! We did so when we moved from NZ to Australia, but you see if I had brought them into NZ they would have had to go quarantine before they were allowed into NZ. However, as neither NZ or Australia have rabies, there was no problem for them to move between those two countries.

Coming from Africa I find it is amazing the number of animal illnesses that are found there and that are non-existent in Australia and I definitely understand why the Australians would like to keep it that way!

Now, having said that, I do sympathise with you for the lengthy quarantine period. At the time that we left SA we had two pussycats that we would have liked to bring with us, we could not face the 9 months quarantine and therefore we re-homed them. That in itself was a nightmare for me! We acquired two new pussycats in NZ and were very happy when we could easily move them with us to Australia.

I hope that all goes well for your pets - just wish I could be there with a camera for the joyous reunion!

Edited by Mara

Thanks, Mara!

We'll post some pics of the cats before we put them into quarantine, so you can all see what we're obsessing about :stretcher: .

Abby (And Tim)

I look forward to seeing the picture - perhaps we should start a new thread - US AND OUR PETS!

We're still in SA for the next (long) while, but are starting to make the long term plans, which includes the animal relocation - 2 dogs and 3 cats - and I was on Keringa's site the other night looking at the photos of their residents. By the end of the evening I was in tears - the thought of my babies "locked up" for seven months was just too much for me. What is really hard for me is that my dogs are both pretty old and the fear that they might die in quarantine is horrific.

I was talking to a collegue who's relocating to NZ and he's still deciding what to do with the furniture and his dog. My response was: you can replace your furniture but you'll never replace that pet.

I know that there are people who think we're crazy, but we've come to the conclusion that this is the only option for us. Otherwise we'll regret it for the rest of our lives.

Cindylou

Thought I would just bring you all greetings from Babski and Lucy! :rolleyes:

Babski

Lucy

Thanks Jules, they are pretty special! He (Babski) is so laid back if he went any further he would be walking on his hind legs! As for Lucy, she is a female Dennis the menace, just looking for a place to happen!

Cindylou - I had the exact same reaction when I started to do the research for my two babies. Crazy :ph34r:

Just an update, my two are doing really great and they are flying to Sydney 29th of June, can't wait. Not that I will able to see them in Sydney, but just to know that they are a bit closer to their new home.

post-2-1149249476.jpg

post-2-1149249605.jpg

Not to be outdone, here is a picture of our Cat Cleo, and a little story about why Cleo is a Secret Siamese. The pic was taken when she/he/it was still little used to enjoy sitting on top of my computer screen.

post-68-1149253314.jpg

Edited by DesertDaisy

Dedrei - they are gorgeous, only person I know now that has her own quarantine department! :ilikeit: I am sure there is going to be great joy the day they come home!

Desert Daisy, I love the story of the Secret Siamese! :ph34r: Tell your daughter to do a search for an Oriental, she will find a twin for her Secret Siamese.

We're still in SA for the next (long) while, but are starting to make the long term plans, which includes the animal relocation - 2 dogs and 3 cats - and I was on Keringa's site the other night looking at the photos of their residents. <snip>

Cindylou

Hi there

I was up in JHB on Monday and took a drive out to Keringa to check it out. I was very impressed: the staff (Colin who looks after the animals and Deanne who does the admin and sends the huge bills :)) were really enthusiastic. The cages for the cats were bigger than at a regular cattery and Colin, who showed me around, knew the names of all the kitties and where they were travelling to. They do seem to try and give each pet personal attention, they encourage visits from owners or friends in the area if you aren't there, and they send you photos every two weeks if you can't visit.

Keringa isn't home by any stretch of the imagination, but I did leave knowing that our cats would be well looked after.

Abby (& Tim)

Dear Tim and Abby,

I had the great opportunity to visit Deidre’s dogs; Leo and Ruby. I was also extremely impressed with the premises and staff. My 2 Yorkies will also have to go through the whole quarantine thing and after visiting both Keringa and another Quarantine Kennels (which is much closer to me), I have decided on Keringa.

Cindy-Lou, I share your thoughts; … we would much rather take our dogs than our furniture, as the dogs are totally irreplaceable. They are part of our family and we will NEVER leave them here!

Ciao, Pippa!