Petrol Station Etiquette

Polyanna

Do you move your car before paying the cashier, or do you leave your car at the petrol pump and decide that everybody else can wait?

Judging from this question, you can guess that I have had some strange looks from other motorists while I leave my car at the pump. :ilikeit:

I asked the cashier whats the correct "thing" to do, and she said I should leave the car parked at the pump or else people could think I'm doing a runner!

Edited by Polyanna

I leave the car at the pump too. Usually there's nowhere to park your car if you moved it from the pump, and yes, it does look like you're doing a runner.

I don't think it's abnormal to leave it at the pump - both here and in the UK.

People who look at you funny should just wait their turn - it's one of those things. That being said, don't go for a burger and coffee whilst your car is at the pump. :ilikeit:

That being said, don't go for a burger and coffee whilst your car is at the pump. :ilikeit:

Darn it! I knew I was doing something wrong... :ph34r:

Occasionally, I'll shift my car up so that somebody behind can access the pump and fill up while I am paying at the pump.

Just make sure that you don't leave the petrol station at all by driving on the road, or the console operator will rightly press the panic button to get a photo of your licence number plate for driving off without payment, like some low-lifes do from time to time.

I hop out my car straight after pulling away from the pump to let somebody else fill up, to take any anxiety away from the console operator.

I think it depends on the garage etc, some of the older garages you can be blockig other pumps by leaving you car while newer garages each pump has its own accesee, so use your discrtetion, but basically no one can the pump you hve used till you have paid and it has been re zeroed by which time you should be back at your car any way.

cheers

Des

• 2 weeks later...

While on this topic. Do i check my oil and water at the same time while putting in juice? What if i need a pint of oil? Do i go to the attendant or what? I might fill my first petrol tomorrow!!

Hi All,

Now that we are on this topic :whome: . The petrol station closest to us, have a guy that comes out to fill my car :ilikeit: and then another one that cleans the windscreen... :ilikeit: (I could not believe my eyes!!!) I don't mind this at all, but I am not sure whether I should tip :whome::ilikeit: ???

I was thinking about it the other day when I was there, but did not want to do anything inappropriate... :blush: What do you think should I do <_< ? I did give them both a very sincere "thank you", but wasn't no sure as to whether I should tip.

Please help!!!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Rodz,

Are you by any chance driving a BM?? <_<:ilikeit::ilikeit:

Just a joke!!! :ilikeit::whome:

I was very heartsore when i handed my car keys over to the new owner. But i am a Ford XR6 or Holden man now. I ant to hear the roar from that engine!!!

While on this topic. Do i check my oil and water at the same time while putting in juice? What if i need a pint of oil? Do i go to the attendant or what? I might fill my first petrol tomorrow!!

Some folks check their oil and radiator levels at the service station, although you'd be best to do this before you start your car in the morning.

That way, all the oil has had a good chance to drain to the bottom (the "sump") of your engine and your dipstick will tell the full story of whether you need more oil or not.

Also, you never open a radiator cap when the radiator is hot, after running around in your car. All the fluid inside is pressurised and will spray boiling hot radiator fluid all over you . . . your arms and face!

Check it first thing in the morning when the radiator is cold, or check the radiator fluid level in the reservoir alongside the radiator.

You can check it at the petrol pump and nobody will be fussed if you don't take forever to do so.

If you need oil, buying a litre at a service station isn't the cheapest place in town to buy.

You buy a good quality oil . . . . not the cheapest drop in the shop . . . at a car spares shop, or even a supermarket, if they have your car's oil there.

Keep a one litre, or five litre pack of oil in your boot for topping up between oil changes.

Hi All,

Now that we are on this topic :whome: . The petrol station closest to us, have a guy that comes out to fill my car :D and then another one that cleans the windscreen... :ilikeit: (I could not believe my eyes!!!) I don't mind this at all, but I am not sure whether I should tip :whome::whome: ???

I was thinking about it the other day when I was there, but did not want to do anything inappropriate... :blush: What do you think should I do :lol: ? I did give them both a very sincere "thank you", but wasn't no sure as to whether I should tip.

Please help!!!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Pip!

my nineteen year old daughter occasionally gets the same treatment. She has blue eyes.

I can pull in at the same service station next day and flash my blue eyes, but it doesn't work, for some reason.

I'm obviously not holding my head right! :P

Don't tip in Australia . . . . not at the cafe, the restaurant, nor anywhere else.

Australians all earn a living wage and don't need tips to survive on, unlike in America and some other places.

If you ever tip, they'll see you as a foreigner straight away.

"True blue" Aussies don't tip.

Let me answer your question on this one, Speaking as an ex Servo Chick, working in a few servo's for +- 8 years. Leave your car at the pump and then pay for your petrol. Please make sure you know which pump number your parked at. Be considerate to your fellow users by not doing your weekly shopping with little rugrat screaming for lollies. If you need to check oil/water/blow your tyres up move into a parking spot, get what you need oil etc, then pay for it, you will be surprised how many customer walk out without paying, they just wave the item at you and walk out and then forget to come and pay. There are signs on the bousers, no mobiles(cellphones), no kids under 15 filling up while mommies chatting on the phone or just to slack to get out. And please use legal petrol cans for your lawn mower fuel. It is adviseable to still lock your car when your not in it.