Things to do in Perth

DesertDaisy

The lovely folks I work with have been putting together suggestions of things to do with the kids in Perth. I thought I'd share them with you. ANyone who has other ideas is welcome to add them!

You will find that everywhere in Perth is split up into North and South of the River.

North of the River

Cottesloe Beach, Cottesloe - It’s a beach where the beautiful people go, but has a good stone groin which provides some safe swimming for the kids.

Harbour Town, City West – Discount brand shopping outlet. There are lots of shoes, bags and kids clothes stores. You can get there by a short walk from the City West train station (Take the Fremantle line from Perth station) or by car.

AQWA, Hillary’s Boat Harbour– Aquarium of WA.

Scitech

Heathcote playground, Applecross – A great, fun playground with a fabulous view of the river.

Subiaco Markets, Subiaco – There are two sets of markets in Subiaco, both open Sat and Sun (and Fri, I think.) The best ones are not ones in the building on the corner of Rokeby and Roberts Rd, but up the hill from the Subiaco train station, on Station St. They sell the usual market junk, but the fruit and vegies are good and they’re family friendly.

Spare Parts Puppet Theatre – A puppet theatre that runs productions and school holiday puppet classes for kids.

Guilderton (on the Moore River) – about an hour and a half’s drive north of Perth. Guilderton is situated where the Moore River meets the Indian Ocean and is a small, old-fashioned beach town. The river is great swimming for small children but kids would have to be a bit older before they swim in the ocean (it’s very rough!). There is also fishing, canoeing, a park, and an old golf course.

South of the River

Sir James Mitchell Park, South Perth foreshore – a huge park on the river esplanade dotted with play equipment, bike trails and lots of grass for running around. Great on a fine day but it can get very windy. Bring a kite!

Margaret River – I would recommend at least 2-3 nights in Margaret River as it is a long trip (4-5 hours). Kid friendly stuff to do includes the chocolate factory, the cheese factory, walk trails, the beach, a raptor (bird of prey) exhibition, pony rides, caves (I recommend Lake Cake – it’s an underground lake that is drying up from a lowering water table and probably won’t exist soon) and lots of other stuff. They have a tourist centre there and there’s lots of places to stay.

Rottnest Island – A small sandy island about 30 mins ferry ride off the coast at Fremantle. This island is named after its small marsupial inhabitants called quokkas – some Dutch guy thought they were like rats and called it ‘Rats’ Nest’ island. They are not like rats; they are more like wallabies, and are very cute and accustomed to people. The island has some beautiful swimming and snorkelling beaches and you get around by bicycle (there are few cars). There are also several historical attractions as it used to be a jail and an army base.

Booklovers (New and Used Books), Albany Highway, Cannington (near the Nicholson Rd turnoff)– Gotta get in the plug! They have the biggest collection of new and used books south of the River and lots of great kids books imported from the UK.

Hills Attractions

Kalamunda Wet ‘n’ Wild Water Park, Kalamunda – This is up in the hills and a bit of a drive from you, so probably make a day of it. There are several large slides plus kids pools, a big lap pool, kiosk etc. It is outdoors and the water is always cold, so make sure it’s a warm day and don’t forget the sunscreen and hats.

Stirk Park, Kalamunda – This beautiful park at the top of Kalamunda Road has play equipment, lots of grass slopes to roll down, a creek and a shallow lake with ducks.

Other ideas

The Bell Tower

The Perth Mint – Go along, but don’t make a day of it. There’s a max of one hour’s entertainment there.

Perth Zoo - well kept zoo, not too big, but big enough to make a day of it without getting exhausted from walking your feet off (unlike Pretoria zoo). You can see all the animals in one day. Its nice to make a day of it - catch the train, then the ferry, and then walk up road to the zoo.

Kings Park - lots of different places within the park - Synergy Parklands is good - they have a dinosaur for the kids to climb on and a variety of climbing things all with educational info on them about dinosaurs. In a different part of the part is Sticky Beaks which has a cafe and a variety of playgrounds. There are probably other places in the park, but those are the ones I have been too.

Edited by DesertDaisy

There are two publications out below are the online versions however I have only ever looked at the printed ones and they are great for getting ideas of what to do, For a place tat is meant to be quiet and issolated Perth certainly has it all, well almost it does not have the congestion and traffic jams of the "bussier" places.

Kids in Perth - The Parents' Paper - PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Targeted at parents with children aged up to 14 years, this is a monthly publication and is distributed free.

www.kidsinperth.com/

Perth's Child - Perth's most reputable guide for parents

PERTH’S CHILD - CALENDAR - JULY 2007. Sunday 1 •Perth Observatory Guided Tour A visit to the observatory will give insights into the science of astronomy ...

www.perthschild.com.au/dailycalendar.php

Enjoy

Des

:ilikeit:

Hi Desert Daisy and Desv,

I can't wait to visit all these places I have been on Google etc showing the kids where are we going and Iam not sure who is more exited. These attractions will break a few years of boredome of Pretoria.

We land in Perth on 30 October 07.

Thanks for the info.

Blessings

Alias

• 3 weeks later...

Since we live south of the river, I would like to share some of our favourite places:

Naragebup - Rockingham environment centre

Point Peron - great walking trails giving an elevated view of Rockingham

Penguin Island

Adventure world - water playpark

Rockingham foreshore

Mandurah foreshore

Peel zoo

Enjoy :)

www.enjoywesternaustralia.com

Edited by tarentaal