Schools in Perth

DesertDaisy

I've just been reading with interest the schools thread on Aussie education vs SA education. The crisis in SA education is one of the reasons we aren't keen on going back to SA. We would not be able to afford private education in SA, but the problems in the government schools are just not worth the risk. Put it this way, when my niece was 11, she was at a "good" government school in a decent well-to-do area in the Northern Suburbs of Joburg. And she was slashed at with a razor blade by one of her fellow pupils (fortunately not injured) and the teacher simply didn't even see it - because there were more than 30 kids in the class.

We have been very spoilt here in Abu Dhabi - my daughter is currently in year 1 in a british curriculum school (actually her second year of school - and she's only 6!). And she is absolutely thriving. She can read and write fluently and the level of her maths is close to Grade 2 in SA.

I do have a few questions though.

1. Are schools graded? My daughter's current school is part of the British OFSTED programme, and gets graded yearly by independent evaluators whether it is performing up to the standards OFSTED sets. This gives parents a reliable and independent guide as to whether the school is actually doing a good job of educating the kids. It goes on more than just the kids GSCE/A-Level/O-level results. Basically, I would want to know if the school we choose (we will be using public education, not private) is doing the best it can.

2. At what age do the kids start school? As I said, my eldest started at 4, and has thrived. If she is in Year 1 now, and we go to Aussie this year, I know she'd have to join in the middle of the school year, whereas here, she finishes her school year in June (it runs from Sept - June). I don't mind her repeating half a year, as it can only help her settle in, but I don't want to her to be disadvantaged in anyway (like put back a year just because of her age). At the same time, I don't want her put ahead of her peers if she is going to be the smallest (she is a petite thing) and youngest in her class. Difficult. Where would your best guess be as to where she would fit in?

3. This is the difficult one. She finishes her school year in June, but at this stage it looks like we will only get to Aus in November. Which means that we will leave here in September (earlier if we are able to) so that we can go home to say goodbye to family in SA for the month of October. But I cannot put her in school here for just a month (new school year starts beginning September) as they will charge me for a full term (and it is expensive). But then when we get to SA, I can't just put her in school for another month only to move her again! So ultimately, it would probably mean she would be out of the school system for nearly 6 months - thats if we get there in November and she is able to get into a school immediately. Would the school authorities have a cadenza at her having been out of school for so long, even though she had already completed her school year?]

4. Where can I find out about school fees in Perth? We will be on a 457 visa until we can get our PR approved.

Hi DD

I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions but I do know that we only pay $20 school fees per year on 457 visa at public school in Perth. Moved to a new school in March and previous school also charged $20 for year.

My youngest is turning 4 in July and because she is born after June she can only start kindy Jan 2007. If she was born earlier in year she would have been in kindy this year already.

I would advise you to ,once you have decided on an area to live and a school for her, to contact the school and explain your situation to them. Find out about school fees and if they will have a problem with her being out of school so long etc etc

Enroling her in November is not really going to be worth it either, unless you do it so she can settle in quicker, cause school closes for Dec holidays on 8 Dec 2006. So will only be in school in Oz for month as well.

Hope this helps even if just a bit.

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

Thanks Lindy-lee, that does help a bit.

We're hoping like mad we can get out of here earlier, and then maybe I can pop her in an SA school for a few months.

It all depends on how quickly the darned paperwork is done....

:whome: Glad I could help even if just a little bit.

Good luck with all your paperwork etc...

Lindy-Lee

:blush:

BTW My brother in law is in the UAE (Abudabi *spelling*) as well for about 3 years and is coming over to visit us for a month end of June. We can't wait. Have another friend who lives in Dubai, shes been there for couple of years now already.

Useless info I know :ilikeit: just thought I'd mention it!

Love Abu Dhabi - hate Dubai. While Abu Dhabi is the capital of the UAE, its still very small town in feel. Dubai could be any big city in the world - big, ugly, under construction with horrid traffic. Abu Dhabi is quiet (its an island, so nothing is more than 20 minutes away), peaceful, lots of parks, just more relaxing. After living here I don't think I could ever live in a Big City anymore!

My youngest is turning 4 in July and because she is born after June she can only start kindy Jan 2007. If she was born earlier in year she would have been in kindy this year already.

Hang, thats got me thinking about my youngest. She will be 4 in May 2007. Does that mean she will have to start kindy in 2007 or 2008?

Hang, thats got me thinking about my youngest. She will be 4 in May 2007. Does that mean she will have to start kindy in 2007 or 2008?

As far as I know yes...cause they told me if she was born in June or earlier she would have started Jan this year. So if your daughter is turning 4 in May I recon she should start Jan 2007.

Lindy-Lee

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi there DD,

1. Are schools graded? Yes they are. The Ministerial Council on Education, Employment, Training and Youth Affairs (MCEETYA) has created a national comparability reporting system looking at the following learning areas : literacy; numeracy; student participation, retention and completion; vocational education; science; information technology; and citizenship and enterprise studies.

The Oz grading system is brand new. For a comparison between the best known grading systems of countries and how OFSTED fits in you can read here :

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/reviews/ngsreview/4_educre.htm#28

If you want to have a look at the reports and inspections MCEETYA are involved in look here :

http://www.mceetya.edu.au/mceetya/?id=11582

The comparability report for 2004 can be read here :

http://cms.curriculum.edu.au/anr2004/pdfs/...ndix1_stats.pdf

2. At what age do the kids start school?

I think best would be for her to repeat half a year. My eldest is in the exact same situation, he finishes up now on the 15th of June with his school year. I am only looking at private schools and they all seem to test the new children anyway to see where they will fit in best. Don't know if public schools do the same.

3. I have no idea how the school authorities will react. As far as I am aware they can only force your child to attend school when you are living in their country and as you will be entering her in a school upon arrival they probably won't be able to do anything. I understand the situation you have described and am very sad for your daughter.

4. Where can I find out about school fees in Perth? We will be on a 457 visa until we can get our PR approved.

Lindy-Lee has already answered this and I have also found the official answer and posted it under Werner's welcome in the Foyer.

Hope this has helped.

Love from here

SS

Thanks so much. We are doing our best to leave here as early as we can so that I can make arrangements for schooling. We are fortunate that she loves school and will happily do "homework", so we may just get all the appropriate books and home school her for a few months.

I know that it will also help her to settle in much faster if she is put in a school ASAP.

Enroling her in November is not really going to be worth it either, unless you do it so she can settle in quicker, cause school closes for Dec holidays on 8 Dec 2006. So will only be in school in Oz for month as well.

Hi there,

My two cents worth on late arrivals: We arrived in Aus in November, with only 3 weeks of the school year left. As our employer has already contacted the schools, we went in to see them, and enrol the kids for the next year.

They convinced us to get the kids into classes immediately - and I mean immediately! They scooped them off my hands, and into classes before I could really think about it, no uniforms, no suitcases! They were allowed to attend school in "civvies" for the whole 3 weeks, and were supplied with the basic stationery and books.

It was the best thing that happened, for all of us. In those 3 weeks, they made friends, to see them through the long holiday season. They overcame their fear that they would not be able to adapt in the new environment, and could relax and enjoy the holidays. My son was placed in year seven, and got to go on their year end camp, and have the "Graduation" ceremony with all the others, before being shipped off to "high school" the next year. Being "the new kid in the class" at that stage of the year, also made them the focus of attention, and that helped the shy ones to make friends easier, and not "dissapear" in the masses.

My kids were placed solely on age, and not ability, but they are in state schools. I find most schools very friendly, and helpful. The teachers mostly have a genuine interest in your child.

SS, you should write an encyclopedia... :ilikeit:

Greetings,

Dreamy

That's great, thanks Dreamy.

I just wish we knew what is happening. Its so frustrating being in nowhere land with all of this....

Guest Seoul Sister
SS, you should write an encyclopedia... :D

Hi Dreamy and DD,

Hehehehe, Dreamy, you are right, I should !! :sleep1: I'll call it Blonde's Guide to the Galaxy. Hehehehehe. IMAGINE that !! :D:D

DD, good luck my girl. I have great sympathy with your situation, as mine is very similar. In the end, we can only do our best. Luckily the kids are still young enough to adapt and once they fall back into a routine I am sure it will all be great again. The thought that you have put into the situation is already proof of what a great mom you are ! :boxing: Good luck, the home schooling sounds like an excellent plan. Jules has done the same and had great results, I'm sure she'll be happy to share some tips with you. :D (Hope it's ok Jules).

Love to you both from here

SS

:)

Blonde's Guide to the Galaxy.

:boxing::sleep1::D At last, one book I would be able to understand! :):D

Greetings,

(Blonde) Dreamy

Guest Seoul Sister
:):ilikeit::whome: At last, one book I would be able to understand! ;):P

Hehehehehe. :lol::D

I'm not sure about this. A blonde writing an encyclopaedia for blondes... :)LOL.

Would that classify as the dumb leading the deaf ? ;) Or the blind leading the drunk ? Of dalk die een-oog wat koning(in) is in die land van die blindes ?? :D Hehehhe, ag d*mmit, now I have gone and confused myself... :lol:

Love from here

Seoul Sister (World-renowned author and poet of whatnot)

:D

Well, at least we got you to say some positive things under the schools post, seeing that it has not been such a positive experience for you up to now :whome:

I think the Blonde Encyclopedia is a great idea. It would be a volume of such distinction that only those with the highest intellect, and the blondeness to prove it, would be able to fully comprehend. :blush:

Forget MENSA - Viva BLONDE! ;):ilikeit:

• 2 months later...

Is there a list somewhere of all the schools in Perth? I'd like to start investigating now that we know we are going for definite!

Yes, it's the Department of Education and Training website - www2.eddept.wa.edu.au then you go into school profiles I think. There are over 700 schools to chose from so I hope you have an area in mind or you could be busy for a very long time.