Immigrated with out a LSD

ChrisV

Hi All

I would just like to know who and how many ppl immegrated the Oz without having a Look See Decide (LSD) trip.

And what was your experiance (good :) or bad :ilikeit: )

We immigrated to New Zealand without a physical LSD, but we certainly did a lot of research for the 2 years prior to our move. As I mentioned in other threads we also investigated Aus and Canada.

When I say 'research' I do mean a lot, but on the one hand it removed some of the 'newness' of our surroundings when we arrived. It felt as though we just came back from a holiday. Meaning we settled extremely well.

I am not against a LSD but we could not afford one and I knowing ourselves we seriously doubt that a LSD would have had any purpose in our case. For other people is is a must.

You might also want to do a search for other LSD threads on this forum.

Same as NZHigh

We came over wothout a LSD trip. Didn't have the money for one but also don't think it would have made a difference in our case. Hubby did some research but not as much as most people. He had applied for jobs everywhere in Oz and he got one in Perth. We had month and a half to sell all our worldly goods and be in Perth.

Have not regretted a minute of it. :ilikeit:

We wanted to get to Oz and weren't really fased about where in Oz....getting here was the most important for us. Luckily we have been happy in Perth since day 1.

Lindy-Lee

:whome:

We'll be coming over without an LSD. We did the same with coming here to Abu Dhabi. Bloody scary, but worth it. It teaches you to adapt quickly and to make the most of your situation!

But that said, I am doing more research on economic issues this time around instead of taking things for granted!

Guest colton

I know a few people who have gone to Australia, seems like everyone is :whome: , those that left having never been there before, came back, and those that stayed (without LSD) are unhappy but can't afford to come back! I know it is expensive to go LSD but I would say definitely worth it!!! I am glad it works for some people and maybe you are one of them but it is a HUGE step you are taking. Alot of people think that Oz is the land of milk and honey, anything is better than S.A attitude, and those are the people that find it difficult to settle as no country is perfect. We decided that Australia was the way to go, lots of family there who are anxious to have us come over, and so hubby and I went to have a look see. We left the kids behind as we couldn't afford for all of us to go, we went with our eyes open and travelled alot making sure we didn't just do the tourist thing, we checked out schools, education standards (I am a teacher), cost of living, drug situation and racism. It is quite interesting when you see things in the real light and not in the holiday atmosphere. Needless to say we decided that it wasn't for us as my children were all in highschool then and we felt it was better for them to stay in S.A. Strange as it may seem we wanted our children to have black friends and experience all the other cultures available here. We were happy with our decision not to go, based on facts rather than hearsay!

Needless to say things changed and here we are getting ready to make that big move and we are VERY happy with our decision :ilikeit: once again based on facts. We see Australia as a new stepping stone on our journey in life and our attitude is that now we have made the decision we are going to enjoy every moment of our new life and become part of that great country. We want to move forward and embrace our new land and contribute positively to it, for us there is no turning back. We will not hang on to anything here, house, money, etc but move forward and work hard at making it work for us, this all decided on facts and not hearsay.

Sorry if I offended anyone who just made the great leap of faith without LSD, to you I say GOOD ON YOU MATE, but for some people it's just not right and to make a mistake that BIG is disastrous!!!

Hi,

We also came over without a LSD trip. (That sounds weird :ilikeit: ) as we could not afford it. It has worked for us. I do aree with colton though, that it is a big mistake to make if you are not sure. Everyone has to decide for himself, if they should come and see first.

We were lucky with having my sister in Aus already, although we are nowhere near her. She could tell us things about Aus that you don't get on the tourist pages, like that there are many flies in the outback! We also did extensive research on the town we live in, as well as anything else we could lay our hands on.

I am VERY scared of change, it took me six months to decide to move 250km from town to town in SA! Somehow, this went much better. It was six months since we made the decision, until we landed here. In fact, I don't think we would have had time for a LSD.

But if you are able to do it, or have serious doubts, why not? It is a big step in your life, and for many, there is no going back. Whatever you decide, you have to be comfortable with, and stick to it. There is no use in flogging yourself about a wrong decision after the fact. And even if the decision is not always yours to make, be at peace with it. :whome:

All is not always as it seems - There is more to life: Live it!

Greetings

Dreamy

Hi!

Our situation were very similar to Dreamy -

It was six months since we made the decision, until we landed here. In fact, I don't think we would have had time for a LSD.

However mine has a nice twist - After I had been offered the position at the Consulting firm, I made contact with a friend from my previous company whom had moved over to Aus the previous year. As the details unraffles he was working for the same company in the same town as to what they have offered me... :ilikeit:

Thus he was my "insider" in Aus. I asked him all the questions that normally gets asked here on the forum, got some pictures from him. And in the 6 months preceding the move allot of time was spent on the net, searching & e-mailing & crawling, to gather as much as possible info on the area, the company, Australia, anything that was worth while reading! I felt I knew enough about the place that was to be come our new home!

Thus thinking back...would a LSD made a difference...nah, nope... I was informed well enough and am glad about move to this area.

However, each one must assess his own circumstance, and might not be so lucky to have an insider and the LSD might just settle the nerves...

Good luck :whome:

D

We decided to immigrate, and less than 5 months later I landed here with PR and a job without a LSD, and am loving it!

Guest colton
We decided to immigrate, and less than 5 months later I landed here with PR and a job without a LSD, and am loving it!

Hi Otto

This may not be the place to post this but how did you get PR so fast? We want to get PR as quick as possible, doesn't everyone?, but the reason is my son wants to join the Navy there and PR is required first.

Hi there

we came over without a LSD. We did a lot of research took in everything that we could from forums like this and had a really positive attitude. We knew we wanted to leave SA and Australia seemed like the easiest option. We were fortunate that we once the decision was made my hubby applied for a job and got it and a month later we were here. One needs to be realistic Australia is not SA but I don't believe that one can make a decision on a LSD trip anyway. It takes time to mix with the locals see what they do week in and week out. See how the schools operate week to week. I am glad we are here. If we had a lot of money would we do a LSD, yes sure, but would it give us the answers I don't really know. You've got to be realistic, no maids, no family, big steps back financially. Is it worth it? Yes 100 times over.

Hubby came over for an interview but other than that, we also did it "blindly" - backed by a huge amount of research and information we gathered from the internet and emigration forums. We did experience an expected amount of difficulties in the process, but for us, that was part of the adventure. I was not disappointed in what I found here - in fact, I was awed!!

I must just mention that I can adjust very easily to almost any situation (being to 9 different schools in my life) and if you're the kind of person who can't, you should maybe consider an LSD trip.....

I beg your pardon NZHigh? I am currently living in Abu Dhabi, we came here without an LSD, and plan to do the same for Oz. Whats the problem?

Hehe, Sorry DD, my mistake, I have read all about you and was actually 'defending' my post and yours from a remark in POST 5 not 4. Colton mentions 'hearsay' and I wasn't sure whether he means people like You AND I simply migrate on hearsay, despite my earlier posting (just before yours I believe) that we migrated after extensive research but no LSD, or whether he means some other people may have migrated on hearsay. That I can believe as I do know such people, but I certainly did not and as you mentioned in your post 4 you are also researching aspects.

Sorry :sleep1: must have used the wrong finger and pressed the wrong button. Hehe.

Now the question is should I edit my previous posting or leave it as it is..... :ilikeit:

And by the way, nice to meet you even if it is by accident; I have actually read all your postings ;) . Good luck with the BIG move and everything that goes along with that. And I do mean that. :D

PS. Pardon granted. ;) (Me just having fun with myself) :whome:

LOL, not a problem. I'm a newbie, so was worried I'd done something offensive/wrong....

Guest colton
?Hearsay? Post # 4

NZHigh I wasn't judging you or even talking about anyone in particular, it's just that we all know people who have immigrated because EVERYONE says australia is the place to go. I wasn't even judging them, just stating that it's a big mistake to make if it turns out not to be the right decision for you. (Not you personally, you as in people in general) I would never state that anyone's decision is wrong, we each have to make our own decision and different circumstances motivate different people. I didn't mean anything negative by that, just being realistic towards people who do it blindly. Kinda to make people think and get them to do more research on their own who are considering immigrating.

Hope I haven't offended anyone else? :sleep1:

Guest Lara

We arrive in Perth in just over 2 weeks time. We had thought of a LSD but we got a visa way faster than we thought we would - we going on a work sponsored temporary visa - and then applying for PR in Oz.

Our situation is a bit different from some. We've been living in the UK for 6 years. We don't want to go back to South Africa so we thought lets give Perth a try. We've got friends there and some family is moving over soon as well. Our kids are still little so we think it is the best time for us to move as they're not in school yet.

Hi All

I would just like to know who and how many ppl immegrated the Oz without having a Look See Decide (LSD) trip.

And what was your experiance (good :whome: or bad :sleep1: )

No worries, Colton. I don't think your post has offended anyone. (Just wasn't sure on your target group with the 'hearsay'). We all tend to focus on our own experiences and obviously post them. Your post was good reading and one should be aware of what lies ahead. I also read your posts on the other thread and same applies. Informative thread and quite true :sleep1:

As I mentioned in my last post I know people who really did migrate to New Zealand solely based on hearsay. No research of any kind. They lasted 1 year before going back to SA. They really believed that there is absolute NO crime, road rage, murder, issues etc here. That's sad because they were very nice people but were somehow led to believe this is the land of milk and honey. What's even worst is that there plans in SA fell through and now they can't come back to NZ. They too old now, their visas aren't valid any longer and they aren't particularly happy there.

As we have noticed many of the postings on the various threads about this issue reflect on that migration is not that easy, or for everyone. For us everything did go fairly smoothly as we expected (except for the financial side). We adapted 1,2,3.

In any case, nice to meet you too, :whome: I'm sure we'll talk some more later.

• 3 weeks later...

Colton, apologies for the late reply - I came in under the RSMS scheme, and have signed a 4 year contract with my employer, so in turn for that he pressured DIMIA to get me in here fast.

• 2 months later...
Hi All

And what was your experiance (good :ph34r: or bad :blush: )

On the topic of LSD:

Our story seems to be in favour, athough I'm all for diving in the deep end.

We got married and sold all our stuff and got mostly cash as wedding gifts, then we travelled and visited most Anglophone countrys. Aus, NZ, Fj, Canada, USA (presently in Texas), next stop UK. We disguised our LSD as one big honeymoon as round the world tickets are relatively cheap.

Our LSD was more like fun and adventure than research and job interviews.

Our rating:

1st prize is WA (Perth or South West)

2nd prize goes to British Columbia

3rd prize USA

Fantastic trip and no regrets! (Although we're presently broke and unemployed, please excuse me as I now have a job interview as a rodeo clown! :o )