Food Allergies

Michele R

Hallo julle.

Ek is Lactose intolerant...(waaaah! :ilikeit: ) en wil weet of julle in Oz ook van hierdie 'lactose reduced milk' het. Het dit hierso verlede week begin koop en maak 'n groot verskil, want die soy melk en ek het glad nie goed oor die weg gekom nie en ek's verslaaf aan tee. Dink die lactose reduced melk hier word deur Parmelat gemaak.

Groete,

Michele

Yes Harvey fresh makes both lactose free milk and lactose free skim milk

Enjoy

Des

Hi Michele V

You will be surprised at the groceries you can buy for those that have allergies, there is a huge variety! I cannot have dairymilk for instance and I buy goatsmilk at my local supermarket. Yes, they definitely have lactose free milk.

Have you tried delre Caprakaas, it is a lactose free goats cheese that is imported from Holland. You can buy it at any of the speciality cheese shops in town. We can’t have any cow dairy products . Unfortunately we react to the lactose free cows milk. Have you tried sheep’s yoghurt? I can have limited amounts of it. You can usually buy it at any of the health food stores or speciality shops.

Hi Michele

There's a huge range of lactose-free over here in most Coles and Woolies I've been to - as well as the milk you can get yoghurt, cheeses, margarine, butter etc etc. Most supermarkets seem to have an aisle and a fridge section for 'special' foods

Clare

Thanks Sonnetjie and Clarebear!

Wow, looks like Oz is much more organized that SA regarding food for those of us that can't eat the normal stuff. Initially it was such a pain to get something that had no milk and no wheat in it, luckily, I seem to have found a few things, but nothing compared to what you guys are mentioning. Think I'm going to be very happy in Oz! :D

A lot of Aussies seem to be alergic to something, so you will have no problem finding what you want/need!

If you are heading over to Melbourne you will love the Gluten Free shop in Ormond. :ilikeit: There is a big awareness of food allergies, intolerances and sensitivities here. There are also a lot of restaurants around Melbourne who cater for people with intolerances. You'll be surprized, thats for sure!

Michele

You can also try the http://www.orgran.com/ I used their gluten free All purpose flour & self raising flour to make 150 mini dairy free dark chocolate cupcakes for one of my best friends daughter’s birthday party. They were a complete hit the kids & adults loved them. They could not taste the difference between the gluten free flours and the non-gluten free flours. They all thought they were non-gluten free cupcakes.

Are you a coeliac ?or are you just intolerant to wheat and not the rest of the gluten grains. If you are it is worth your while joining the http://www.coeliacsociety.com.au/ they have a fantastic support network.