Hello there

janine K

:ilikeit: Hello to all forum users.

My name is Janine, and my hometown is Hillcrest, KZN. My husband and I have plans to leave SA in a few years and want to start the ball rolling to relocate to Aus. We have family in Toowoomba, Queensland, so want to be close to them. What should we start to do? I am a nurse, he is a QS and we have 2 young kiddies.

Welcome to the Forum Janine

Get your passports up to date make sure they will still bevalid for your planned departure date. Apply for Full birth certificates for all mambers of your family, these are the ones that show parents names etc.

Start collecting all documents you have such as marriage certificates, Qualifications etc.

Visit www.immi.gov.au and download visa application forms and check requirements

Start to apply now go for the Permanent Residence visa - (Skilled Migration)

once you hand in your forms it can take 1 - 2 years to process and once you recieve your visa you have to visit Australia within 1 year and moe here within 5 years of date of issue so its worth getting going with applying ASAP.

Good luck

Des

Hi Janine,

Depending on how you get there, it could take as little as 3 months, or as long as 2 years.

The best advice I can give you is to start asap, and to get unabridged certificates of everything like marriage, birth etc, bearing in mind with our home affairs it can take a LONG time.

All the best and good luck! :ilikeit:

John.

Welcome Janine!

Not much I can add, Des and John have mentioned the important things.

We plan to only go over in 2 years time, so we're getting passports sorted, unabridged birth and marriage certificates and will be booking our IELTS test for hopefully Jan/Feb next year. Go to the immi website and have a read there, it'll tell you everything you need to have in order to submit your application.

Good luck!

Michele

Hi Janine

Welcome to this fabulous forum. I'm also from Hillcrest! Keep an eye out for details of our next Coffee Club, and you should come along -its's great fun :ilikeit: We are leaving soon, 23rd November - going to Perth. We're on a 457 visa, which means my husband was offered a job and his employer is sponsoring us - took about 2 months from start of application to grant of visa. Sorry, don't know much about Queensland.

Mary

Janine

Welcome to the forum--where you will get everything.

Take the advice from Wislon who speaks with Wisdom. Start ASAP!!!!!!!

The shortage on power is here to stay!

Enjoy the forum

Janine

Welcome to the forum.

Albert & Ursula.

Hi Janine

We also needed SA police clearance certificates. They take up to 6 weeks to get and I think they must be recently issued at the the time you submit them to the Aussi migration department.

Good luck!

Graeme

here's another one.....WELCOME! :ilikeit:

janine,

Hi there I'm also a Hillcrest member who decided to kick the habit (SA that is). We have decided to head for Adelaide and are at the point where I'm waiting to write the IELTS (English test) before we submit the application for the General Skilled Migration visa.

If you read through the forum, aprticularly applications and check out peoples timelines (most members have them in there signature) you will get an idea as to what is needed.

Regards

K&B

Janine,

like most Western countries nowadays, Australia has a nursing shortage, so you'll get in without any dramas, as long as you've been nursing recently, are physically alright and your police check is fine.

You could even be "fast-tracked" to work in Australia, if you wanted to.

Also, going thro a Migration Agent will involve spending hard earnt cash. It might double the cost of the whole exercise.

Many immigrants to Australia do their own paperwork and leg work, paying for only the necessities (medical checks, police checks, visa payments, etc)

Janine.

A QS and a nurse will have found work in SE Queensland yesterday. I kid you not.

I also lived in Kloof/ Hillcrest and have found great happiness in Ozz.

You can apply for PR immediatly, you have 4 years to take up the offer.

Hi Janine

Welcome to this fabulous forum. I'm also from Hillcrest! Keep an eye out for details of our next Coffee Club, and you should come along -its's great fun :ilikeit: We are leaving soon, 23rd November - going to Perth. We're on a 457 visa, which means my husband was offered a job and his employer is sponsoring us - took about 2 months from start of application to grant of visa. Sorry, don't know much about Queensland.

Mary

Hi Janine

I am also from Hillcrest, and will be leaving for Sydney on the same day as Mary!! (6 weeks today...and counting!!) Hopefully we will get to meet you at the next coffee club.

Robyn

Hi Janine,

You will be pleasantly surprised when you start applying...My hubby thought it might take a good year to get a job and all in place...well, surprise! We had a very good offer yesterday and are thinking about taking it. And that after just a month and a half?

So, especially in your lines, you will get settled very easy... :hug:

Good luck then, hey? :ilikeit:

Elize

Edited by elizes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I'm a newbie on this forum, as well. I concur with all the replies so far. It's essential to make yourself a checklist of all the paperwork you need to do, in the order in which you need to do them. I've booked myself an IELTS exam for 7 Nov and sending off my certs for assessment today. I do wish I hadn;t dilly-dallied so long and done the application before the 1 September changes, but no use crying about it now! Once I've got my assessment done and my IELTS results, I will submit the application.

I must just add that you can also start looking for a job in the meantime and, if you find a company/organisation willing to sponsor you, you can also apply for a 457 visa. This simply means that you can go across much earlier than you would if you waited for you PR to come through. It has its disadvantages (eg. you can;t access free public healthcare, etc) but it's a way of getting into the country sooner. As soon as your PR comes through your 457 will get cancelled and you immediately become a permanent resident. I'm told the advantage of doing this, as opposed to going on a 457 and then applying for PR once you're in Aus, is that you don;t need to leave Aus in between to 'validate' your PR. It will simply be granted and cancel you 457.

More experienced folks in here, please correct me if I've got the wrong information!

Judging from your post, both of you are in professions that are in demand in Aus, so I would be very surprised if you had a problem finding a job. Note that if you confirm to a potential employer that you have initiated the process to move to Aus as a permanent resident, they would be far more inclined to consider your CV and possibly sponsor you. At least, this is what I've been told by employment agencies, particularly Hays, who were at the Expo in Jhb last month.