Mieps

Hi all,

My name is Mieps, I hail from Kloof in Natal. Like everyone (I think) we are also thinking of joining the great trek.

We have just started on the road, so learning everything we can. This site looks like it might be helpful so I logged up.

I see so much good info, I don't know where to start, but its so nice just to calmly look through it all. We haven't yet made up our minds about Australia for definite, but it is probably the first choice so far.

My husband got a very good job offer in Nigeria, but we are a little bit unsure about this prospect, even though there is so many South Africans there, the crime is also quite high like here, but you get a personal driver and guard.

Australia seems better to me anyway, money isn't everything and we have to look long term is how I see things, as we should start looking to have a family soon. Now I must just convince him, men can be very short term, hey, rush and grab.

Hope to see yous around for lots of tips, and if anyone did Nigeria before Aussie, I would love to hear your experiances?

Mieps

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find answers to whatever you need to know about the move to Australia here. Good luck with the decision making, Aus is a great choice. :ilikeit:

Welcom Mieps, its a long road, but there is lots of info here, from many experienced Groot trekkers.

Nigeria, that sounds interesting, can you tell us a bit about it, what kind of work, and do you get housing as well?

Koen

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find answers to whatever you need to know about the move to Australia here. Good luck with the decision making, Aus is a great choice. :ilikeit:

Thnx Koen and MzT.

Koen Yes, the Nigeria job is with a private mining company, my husband is a mining engineer.

The salary is very high, much higher than he is getting now, at least four times as much. Yes, how do you know? We are offered a package including house and relocation expenses plus personal security, a driver and a guard.

I went over with my husband to do a LS and the housing is very nice, we can basically choose what ever we want on the open market. But things like security and distance to airport (my husband would if he took the job be doing a lot of flying) and neighbourhood all come into it.

My honest opinion here, I wasn't so impressed with the idea of living in Nigeria. Its not like home in the sense that, well for starters no one speaks Xhosa or Zulu and its difficult to understand people, and it feels a bit run down in places. Where we could end up is very nice in fact, but I cannot see myself being happy.

We met some South African families there, all very happy, at a braai. But they suffer I think. Just looking at what was on offer on the buffet I was a bit sad for them. Its good pay and in US dollars and they send it all home, but there seems a lot of sacrifice involved short term, I just can't know at this stage, is the truth.

So many people say how happy they are still in Aussie, so I am aiming high I know, but still to me there are more important things to consider, it's a personal choice.

Welcome to the forum!!

I honestly would rather live in Australia than Nigeria and as hubby is in the mining industry he would probably be able to find work in Australia easily, especially in WA.

Kloof..... those were the good old days, we used to go to the gorge when we bunked school :ilikeit:

Hope you get all the answers you're looking for :ilikeit:

Cheers

Gaille

Mieps spoken like a true woman, good on yer. Us men can be a bit too ready to rush into the bush at the first sign of excitement.

Obviously this doesn't apply to your situation, but there have also been a number of job hoaxes coming from Nigerian set ups. They ask you for all sorts of fees and then after you pay them you find the job doesn't exist.

I personally know at least one person living and working there, he is an architect, and doing very well and couldn't be happier, him and his dog. He is single, I think that makes quite a big difference with a post like that. I knew you were offered housing because bona fide companies out there do offer a lot of incentives. They have a chronic skills shortage at the moment, and offer extremely even extraordinary salaries, a lot of people from South Africa are working there now.

You are right thought, security is as big a problem as it is at home. Though if you're not flash and don't opt for the Mercedes you will probably be OK, LOL this is a fact. Its very much more African than South Africa in that sense.

I would work on the husband a bit more, Australia has a hell of a lot to offer long term, but short term, yes things are not as easy as home, and you wont find the same salary as Nigeria necessarily, but you get a country you will be happy living in.

Mieps , your not talking Irak, your talking Nigeria. And from the two short workshop trips I made there, I got the impression the expat community hang out together. And they party a lot . Now your are going to be more safe their than in SA, the security guard and stuff tells us that nor the mining company nor the government can afford something hapenning to a mining engineer or his family. Now what about a 2 year stint - after all you are not going to work, so you can take time out and visit back in SA when ever you want. And then the money option - If the money is anything like in Angola - its so damn good that after working a mere 2 years you would probably be able to buy a house cash anywhere in Australia. No restrictions on moving your Nigeria money to Aus and no bond enslavement to pay off over 20 years! Plus its gonna look good on your husbands cv - shows he is a real go getter and lots of mining companies is gonna look favourable on a guy who was willing to go to Nigeria. So maybe in stead of going directly to Aus, go via Nigeria :ilikeit: Anyhow enjoy the decisions - whichever way

Pixi thats what a lot of people are doing, though usually they buy a small wine farm in the good old Cape and kick back and relax. I think though its not for everybody, and not if you want to start a family maybe.

I agree it will get you to Australia in style, houses are expensive here and you will spend quite few years trying to move up the ladder. How do you know if Mieps works or not, maybe thats part of her decision?

No Koen, I ASSume (you know the story :holy: ) that she is not working , or if they move anywhere she will not be working. Anycase working outside the house for money ...

Hi Mieps.

We too live on the hill by you...

Interesting all this reading about Nigeria or Aussie. NO comparison. (Aussie that is...)

I relocated my wife to Namibia for 3 year and it was hell for her, so I can only presume that it will be the same for you in Nigeria. More so that you are somewhat confined to settlement areas and see the same people day in and day out. That's no life. Also considering that if the wife is not happy... damn hubby's then got a problem.

The Parsons are right in that WA offers positions for your husband in his field (Thats also where we are looking to go but more Perth end or slightly north).

Try and do a LSD trip to Aussie and you will be pleasantly surprised, beleive me !

Cheers

Pino

Hi Mieps

Still miss the Kloof mist!

Would it be possible to apply for 136(176?) Visa now, get PR (you have 4 years to take up the offer) and use the time to do the Nigrerian stint and set yourself up financially and then move to Aus?

I would not suggest this if you have pre-teenage children. Best to move kids to their permanent home before they start high school if possible.

Still miss the Kloof mist!

Would it be possible to apply for 136(176?) Visa now, get PR (you have 4 years to take up the offer) and use the time to do the Nigrerian stint and set yourself up financially and then move to Aus?

I would not suggest this if you have pre-teenage children. Best to move kids to their permanent home before they start high school if possible.

Hi Queensland girl, yes, I am up at the crack of dawn, got a big day, having the pool re-tiled at last and taking the dogs for their shots.

The mist is heaven in the early morning, lovely and cool, you should have seen my Azaleas this year? It was out of this world, like paradise, clouds and clouds of soft pink right up our drive-way, my husband was in Botswana for a week and missed the whole show, he was hot and sticky poor boy wanted to come home immediately. Queenslander did you sell before you left?

I haven't got much to offer this forum yet, but my advise is don't sell before you leave, if you can at all help it. You would fall over astounded at the prices being offered, and not by locals either, we thought a million was a lot a year or so ago, but times it by four and you are sitting on a gold mine. We had a Scottish couple so desperate to buy they put a permanent bank guarantee on it for us, 100%, should we change our minds. We decided we will never sell, a long time ago, I know, but we could just never sell, we will put tenants in, as my brother is doing property management.

I know what you mean Kloof is special special, like nothing else, I have live in other places, but nothing like it. We get the nice sunny Durban days and cool misty Hilton mornings and evenings, heaven on this earth.

Your idea is tempting Queensland Girl, it might make up a bit we won't have from keeping the house on. Ja they say two years is short, but it's two years not two months, it is a long time. From kloof to Nigeria, LOL I am nipping just at the thought. I will tell Doug this evening, he will think I have swallowed a dictionary, not actually sure what it means yet, yikes maybe it gives him too much excitement, dilemmas dilemmas, I don't want him jumping the gun. And still the hard part to come.

Hi Mieps

We sold EVERYTHING before we left.

We did not want to keep any back doors open, so that when the going gets tough ( which it did) it would be to easy to return.

We have two areas here in South East Queensland that are very similar to Kloof.

The one is Tamborine Mountain (750 ft above sea level just behind the Gold Coast) and Maleny (behind the Sunshine Coast)

I can see Tamborine from my Patio and when the rain comes the mountain is shrouded in mist.The Azaleas and Jacarandas were stunning this year. The temp there is consistently as least 5 degrees cooler than down on the Coast. We have a gorge (Guanaba Gorge)

www.lanerealty.com.au/TamborineMt.html

www.tourmaleny.com.au

What I am trying to say is that although you might leave Kloof behind- you can replicate it here....Maybe one can see the Nigerian stint as an adventure and also take the time there to do as much European travel as possilble because once you are here Europe is very,very far away.

Hi Mieps en familie.

Welkom op die forum.Wil ook net se sterkte met jul besluite.

Groete Albert.

I can see Tamborine from my Patio and when the rain comes the mountain is shrouded in mist.The Azaleas and Jacarandas were stunning this year. The temp there is consistently as least 5 degrees cooler than down on the Coast.

Tamborine Mtn is indeed lovely! Don't forget to bring a jersey or jacket though as the weather can be completely different to down the mountain. There are plenty of lovely little eateries with open fireplaces though for when it gets chilly.

What I am trying to say is that although you might leave Kloof behind- you can replicate it here....Maybe one can see the Nigerian stint as an adventure and also take the time there to do as much European travel as possilble because once you are here Europe is very,very far away.

How true is that. I mean not replicating Kloof LOL ; ) , but yes when you are here Europe is literally on the other side of the earth. Australians by the gazillions flock over to Europe when they are young, to live work see the world.

Mieps I tried that, keeping my small home, but it is a big big worry. Tenants can be very destructive, I am glad I did though because the prices keep going through the roof. What I mean is I wish I didn't have to I suppose.

What is the crime like in Kloof? Sounds like you have a big garden and pool and everything, will be hard leaving I am sure. But on the bright side, who knows what the world will look like when you want to retire as a couple, maybe just the ticket.

I am not the doom and gloom type, and believe things go in cycles, I mean look at Mozambique, its fabulous now, half of Mpumalanga has a beach holiday there every year, because its safer than home, and cheaper.

I see so many newbies here on this forum, now I wonder how many people are leaving home. Does anyone have any up to date statistics on this and where they all end up?

Koen (such a nice name, very old school), you know it's a difficult one when you ask about crime in our area, in Kloof. I will say it is worse in other areas certainly. It comes in waves. We have a very big garden slopping down and down the hill, all terraced, we have I think still the highest roof in South Africa, I think. Anyway we have all the security thingy, and boy when our alarm goes off in the roof, I think even Kort Broek in Pretoria jumps in his seat.

I don't think about it much anymore. My husband is always yelling his head off at me when I am way down the garden clipping away, picking flowers for the vase, and I have left my panic buttons on the kitchen counter. I know it's there and all around us, but you close off after awhile, you do. It's like it isn't happening, but you are right it is. You get the odd wake up call but then drift back a sense of false security, and it's very easy with this life style.

We keep corgis, its like a little dog with short legs, very English or rather Welsh, but it suits my husband Doug. Anyway we had a close friend in Mooi River who bred these dogs, where we got three of ours from. We have known her since we were married, and my husband before that, a very old lady. She was for years the bursa at the local school. Already almost eighty. Now she semi-fostered a child from her maid, a boy. She paid for his schooling bought uniforms and books and the whole thing. He grew up into a teenager and turned nasty on her. Always asking for money and becoming quite abrasive. Eventualy he got hold of her last year and locked her in the boot of her car and then stole the car with her in it. He went mad, on a joy riding spree, for about three days. Eventualy someone spotted the car with him driving around like lunatic (no license) in the village. They alerted the police who apprehended him and found her badly bruised and lifless body in the boot. Too tragic for words. I couldn't sleep for weeks. And I could go on all day about other happenings. But this is it, if it isn't next door to you you think its another places problems. It will never come to you.

I tell you this story because, they say almost 90%, at least is what we read, of victims already know their future attacker. We never let strangers into the house, we only use workers from years ago, people my parents used and so on. But still we want to make the move as this is not a place to bring up a family. Its just not. I will remember what a fool I am living like I do, when i am no onger here , that I am sure, but untill then I am too young to stop living and I will carry on being reckless. No choice.

Mieps that is a shocking story, I think I remember reading about it. And you are right, any other country and they would be camping at the border trying to get out.

You sound very settled, dare I say and no offence as to your age, but almost like my parents. Engineering must still pay well out there in Botswana. Is your husband away a lot?

You will, and I hate to say this, unless I am mistaken, but you personally sound like you will be quite traumatised by a move to Nigeria in my opinion. Maybe its better for you to go straight to Australia, up in the hills where Queenslander suggested, amongst the gentle mists and delicate spring blossoms and honey possums, though there isn't much mining in that part of Queensland I believe.

That's my worry you might have to compromise a lot, certainly if I look how you are living now. There isn't much water for gardens like you are used to, and it can be scortching hot, depending on where you live. How many Corgis do you have? Do you know they must go into quarantine here, even small dogs?

Koen, are you sure you are not suffering from an identity crisis? You sound so much like the Selepe bloke who used to pester people on RN and who create aliases on forums that talks nonsense to one another... :D You are so transparent mate. :D

Edited by ~Sunflower~

Koen, are you sure you are not suffering from an identity crisis? You sound so much like the Selepe bloke who used to pester people on RN and who create aliases on forums that talks nonsense to one another... You are so transparent mate.

Oh not again Hendie? I thought they had been banned for good. Seems our resident stalker is out to ruin threads again. And here on the welcome foyer of all places.

Koen sorry I am not with you, who is Sunflower, what gives? Koen are you going to watch the rugby tonight, will you get it in Australia, boy we are excited. Those Argies are in for a run hey.

Edited by Mieps