PERTH/SYDNEY COMPARISON

CALIN

We have been living in Sydney for the last six months and are relocating to Perth. Has anyone lived in both cities and provide an objective comparison between the two cities?

I lived cin Sydney (hills area) for 1 year and now live in Perth (Joondalup area) I much prefer Perth but saying that it is hard to give an objective view as a lot of it depends on personal tastes etc if you can give me more info on where you live in sydney where you plan to live in Perth and likes and dislikes about sydney I am sure i can give you an objective view.

Good luck

Des

In short

Perth is smaller, friendlier, easier to get parking in city, much less traffic and traffic jams, flatter, reffered to as dullsville - thats what I like about it its quieter its a big country town and has everthing you need, personally I think our biggest mistake in our move to Australia was to go to Sydney, in retrospect we should have come direct to Perth. Another big advantage of Perth over Sydney is if you have family in SA it is cheaper and quicker to fly between Perth and Johannesburg as Perth is approx 2/3rds of the way of Jhb to Sydney.

Best of luck

Des

In short

Perth is smaller, friendlier, easier to get parking in city, much less traffic and traffic jams, flatter, reffered to as dullsville - thats what I like about it its quieter its a big country town and has everthing you need, personally I think our biggest mistake in our move to Australia was to go to Sydney, in retrospect we should have come direct to Perth. Another big advantage of Perth over Sydney is if you have family in SA it is cheaper and quicker to fly between Perth and Johannesburg as Perth is approx 2/3rds of the way of Jhb to Sydney.

Best of luck

Des

Thanks for the reponse Des

We currently live in Naremburn which is on the North Shore adjacent to St Leonards and Crows Nest. We're orginally from Durban and find Sydney to be too big, with too many people and just too busy another reason is my wife has family who are in the process of relocating to Perth from SA.

Calin

Calin,

Australia is big enough to cater for all sorts of personal situations.

If your wife's family are locating in Perth, then don't feel that going to Western Australia is a backward step.

Perth is a lovely city with lots to offer most kind of migrants, with its sunny climate, clear skies, white sandy beaches and easy pace of life.

Go for it . . . . and remember. Life is what you make it.

Enjoy!

Hi I am so delighted to see that someone else is questioning a comparison re: Perth/Sydney. My husband and I moved to Sydney almost four months ago and are seriously considering moving to Perth. We are currently staying in the Hills District.

Can anyone please tell me where to start i.t.o. which areas we should start looking at if we wanted to buy a house?

Are we making the right decision?

I've love to hear from someone.

Tanya

Hi I am so delighted to see that someone else is questioning a comparison re: Perth/Sydney. My husband and I moved to Sydney almost four months ago and are seriously considering moving to Perth. We are currently staying in the Hills District.

Can anyone please tell me where to start i.t.o. which areas we should start looking at if we wanted to buy a house?

Tanya

It is a personal decision, We lived in Baulkham hills and now live in Perth, Perth really works for me I love the place, The highest concentration of South Africans seems to be North of the River - Joondalup area, its a great place, easy acsess to city with freeway and trains and close to beach

I will always maintain Sydney is a great place to go on holiday but a lousy place to live. anyone can beg to differ, that is my opinion.

Good Luck

Des.

I will always maintain Sydney is a great place to go on holiday but a lousy place to live. anyone can beg to differ, that is my opinion.

Des.

Hi DesV,

Maybe you should change your avatar to a Perth pic (not meant in a nasty way!).

SAS

In 1974, I dropped in on a mate for a week that I'd travelled across Europe and Asia with.

My mate, Bill, was a lad from Parramatta, grown up in Sydney all his life, had been in Britain and Europe living and working his way around for 3 years as a young twenty-something like a lot of Aussies and Kiwis, worked for the Prospect Council in Sydney, yet strangely told me to work in Sydney for only 6 months when I started to talk about the idea of working there instead of in Adelaide.

After 6 months, the stress of Sydney life starts to get to you, I was told.

That was in 1974.

. . . . . . seems some things haven't changed in the past 30 + years!

He had this idea of saving enough money to leave Sydney and heading west over the thousands of miles in his VW Beetle, like the old days you see on the "Westerns" with the waggon trains. . . . . . to Western Australia

I've always wondered if he ever made it out West?

Edited by Bob

Tanya

Hi Tanya

If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking at moving from Sydney?? Are you not happy there?? I am moving to the Hills, Sydney in 5 weeks time....was just wondering how you are finding it there??

Thanks

Robyn