Perth

Kirsten and Geoff

Hello anyone that can help???

My husabnd has just received a sponsership to be in Oz by January 2008... I have so many questions to ask please if you can help to answer please do.

The company is based in Welshpool.... what areas surrounding it are good to live in???

We have a child that is 2 she would have started nursery school next year.. what are the school fees like? any good schools to send her to???

Can anyone answer the question of what is tax like in oz for a non resident?

What is the average rent price for a 2/3 bedroom neat house or townhouse?

Thank you so much.. look forward to reading your answers.

Hi Kirsten

Congratulations on the job and sponsorship! Unfortunately the only thing I can help you with is the rental prices. It seems the average cost of a 3 bedroomed house in a nice suburb in Perth is between $300-500 per week. Have a look at www.realestate.com.au - loads of properties to look at.

Hope you come right with the rest of your questions! We are arriving in Perth end of November, and will be renting somewhere north of the river (Duncraig/Carine/Scarborough/Hillarys) - we must get together when you are there.....

Mary

A big question is does your husbands job include a car? second question is where in Whelshpool is the company if no car is included, the reason hy I ask is based on commuting (Car or Train) and how far your husband would be prepared to commute if at all.

Best of luck

Des

A big question is does your husbands job include a car? second question is where in Whelshpool is the company if no car is included, the reason hy I ask is based on commuting (Car or Train) and how far your husband would be prepared to commute if at all.

Best of luck

Des

The company is in Fargo Way.. Welshpool.. Geoff will know tomorrow if he gets a company vehicle, whats public transport like in that area? Do you know of any areas that will be good to settle in?

Welshpool is an industrial suburb about 20 to 30 mins drive to the south east of Perth.

The beaches are to the west of Perth.

The hills overlooking the city of Perth (the Stirling Ranges) are to the east.

Anyone working in Welshpool would be tempted to live either in one of the leafy, eastern suburbs in the foothills of the Stirling Ranges (Kelmscott, Armadale) or the beachside suburbs of the west.

The beachside suburbs will necessitate a helluva long drive across the whole of the southern suburbs of Perth . . . . . not my idea of fun!

Public transport in Perth, like public transport in Adelaide, is great. It's regular, often and affordable.

Several of the bus depots, as in Adelaide, have big car parks attached, so you can park your car there and bus into the city for shopping, work, etc. Your car parking fees alone in the city would cost more than the bus fare from the suburban bus depot.

Welshpool is an industrial suburb about 20 to 30 mins drive to the south east of Perth.

The beaches are to the west of Perth.

The hills overlooking the city of Perth (the Stirling Ranges) are to the east.

Anyone working in Welshpool would be tempted to live either in one of the leafy, eastern suburbs in the foothills of the Stirling Ranges (Kelmscott, Armadale) or the beachside suburbs of the west.

The beachside suburbs will necessitate a helluva long drive across the whole of the southern suburbs of Perth . . . . . not my idea of fun!

Public transport in Perth, like public transport in Adelaide, is great. It's regular, often and affordable.

Several of the bus depots, as in Adelaide, have big car parks attached, so you can park your car there and bus into the city for shopping, work, etc. Your car parking fees alone in the city would cost more than the bus fare from the suburban bus depot.

Thank you so much for your advice... if you say living at the coast will be a far drive.. how far do you think it would be... really want to live by the coast.. but dont want Geoff to have to travel to far from home????

Well, Kirsten, I'm not actually from Perth . . . . only visited the place for the first time since 1976! . . . . but we drove from Fremantle on the coast thro the southern suburbs of Perth to Armadale, taking at least 30 minutes.

That was in the late morning mid week . . . . after the early morning rush-hour.

You'll have to tap into somebody else's expertise on that one, but if I had to work in Welshpool, I'd be thinking seriously about living by the beach right across Perth.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it will take a while to negotiate traffic across the whole of the southern subs.

Check out Armadale before getting any ideas of beachside living. It reminded me much of some nice hillside suburbs in Adelaide where I dwell.

Ahhh thanks so much... will definately look into it! Thanks again.

Well, Kirsten, I'm not actually from Perth . . . . only visited the place for the first time since 1976! . . . . but we drove from Fremantle on the coast thro the southern suburbs of Perth to Armadale, taking at least 30 minutes.

That was in the late morning mid week . . . . after the early morning rush-hour.

You'll have to tap into somebody else's expertise on that one, but if I had to work in Welshpool, I'd be thinking seriously about living by the beach right across Perth.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it will take a while to negotiate traffic across the whole of the southern subs.

Check out Armadale before getting any ideas of beachside living. It reminded me much of some nice hillside suburbs in Adelaide where I dwell.

Joondalup to Kewdale / welshpool is approx 35 - 45 minutes, straight highway all the way I know a few people that live around Joondalup area and drive to Welshpool, if you dont have a company car then obviously the cost of travel adds up,

Welshpool basically borders on the Airport and Perth is the sort of city where you can prtty much live anywhere traffic is not a big problem and distances are not to far by city standards.

Cheers

Des

I have friends who live around the corner from us in Ellenbrook and she works in Welshpool. Don't think it's such a tough drive from us.

good luck

Lindy-Lee

:D

Since the War years (1940s), the income tax has been soley the province of the Australian Commonwealth (Federal) Gov't, when the States which make up Australia surrendered their income taxing powers to the Commonwealth as a "temporary war-time measure".

So . . . . even though I live in South Australia, I can tell you what income tax will be taken out of your old man's pocket before it sees the light of day in his hands.

An Australian resident (whether permanent or temporary) is entitled to the first $6 000 a year income tax free.

A non-resident pays 15% income tax on the first $6 000.

An Australian resident pays income tax at the following rates:

$0 to $6 000 0

$6 000 to $30 000 15%

$30 000 to $75 000 30%

$75 000 to $125 000 40%

over $125 000 45%

There is also a 1.5% Medicare levy payable on the first $ of income.

Also, there's a host of rebates and tax deductions that you can claim thro the financial year (1st July to 30th June) to lower your overall income tax liability.

Thanks so much for that info.. definately helps!

Since the War years (1940s), the income tax has been soley the province of the Australian Commonwealth (Federal) Gov't, when the States which make up Australia surrendered their income taxing powers to the Commonwealth as a "temporary war-time measure".

So . . . . even though I live in South Australia, I can tell you what income tax will be taken out of your old man's pocket before it sees the light of day in his hands.

An Australian resident (whether permanent or temporary) is entitled to the first $6 000 a year income tax free.

A non-resident pays 15% income tax on the first $6 000.

An Australian resident pays income tax at the following rates:

$0 to $6 000 0

$6 000 to $30 000 15%

$30 000 to $75 000 30%

$75 000 to $125 000 40%

over $125 000 45%

There is also a 1.5% Medicare levy payable on the first $ of income.

Also, there's a host of rebates and tax deductions that you can claim thro the financial year (1st July to 30th June) to lower your overall income tax liability.

• 3 weeks later...

My hubby works in Welshpool, and we live in Landsdale. We just love it here- close enough to everything, but a real community feel to the suburb. And the ducks in the park go walkabout every morning and evening, often visiting our front door! It takes my husband around 20 - 25 minutes to get to and from work each day.

My husband and I found a really nice rental for $350 per week. The unit was newly built, has 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, formal loungue and diningroom (which my husband uses as an office), aircon and covered double garage. The kitchen is big. It was built by ex Saffirs and they put in a few essentials that remind us of home like bigger sinks etc. Its really modern.

It is one of three units on the same plot of land which common in some areas and is fairly roomy considering we thought we'd be commong to a one bedroom flat situation. I have a little 2 year old and his room is far enough that he he cant hear the TV and has room to run. We have no grass to worry about as its been built for rental.

In my opinion it is great to have a covered garage for Winter when it rains all the time. You can get the little ones into the house and then carry shopping straight through. Also, if you going to ultimately buy a house it is wise to settle somewhere near where you will be living so you dont have to go throught the whole "meeting people" process all over again. I hear that Armadale still has good value for money on land and house builds so maybe that is a good way to go. Either way you will have time to look around before you buy and see what areas appeal to you before you buuy. Good Luck

Hi there!

I am very glad for you about the sponsorship! My hubby works in Welshpool too. We live in a southern seaside suburb, takes him about 50mins on the freeway to get to work. Wasn't that bad a few years back, but with the housing boom and the amount of development the roads are way busier.

I would recommend Cannington as an area to look for a house. Fremantle is beautiful, but can be a bit expensive.

Good luck!

tarentaal

www.enjoywesternaustralia.com

Hi when you say... southern seaside suburb... were about is??? thank you so much for the info...

Hi there!

I am very glad for you about the sponsorship! My hubby works in Welshpool too. We live in a southern seaside suburb, takes him about 50mins on the freeway to get to work. Wasn't that bad a few years back, but with the housing boom and the amount of development the roads are way busier.

I would recommend Cannington as an area to look for a house. Fremantle is beautiful, but can be a bit expensive.

Good luck!

tarentaal

www.enjoywesternaustralia.com

Port Kennedy .... If you've never heard about it, try locating it by finding the half way mark between Rockingham and Mandurah ... that would roughly be it.