"New" in Perth

Lavender Blue

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I landed in Perth in May and have been struggling to meet people. I only recently found this site and think that you are a really nice, helpful bunch who seem to understand the intricate and complicated situation of immigration. How do we go about meeting people and establishing friends and networks. Any ideas?

Hi Michelle,

Sports clubs of any and all descriptions are the best place to meet similar minded and friendly people.

If you were single I'd suggest hanging out at a Bunnings Store...... ;)

Tracy

Sorry, forgot to add that we have a son of 20 months. That makes Bunnings a target for my one man demolision crew...;)

Hi Michele, We joined a church quickly after arriving and have met a lot of ex-pats and Aussies there.

Y

Baie welkom op die forum.Ek sal aanraai sluit by n kerk aan of by een van die 'nice'mamma groepies met hul babies.Ek kan vir jou n nice groep se nr. gee as jy belangstel.Laat weet net dan pm ek dit sommer gou vir jou.Jy sal nog sien n mens ontmoet op die snaakste plekke mense wat jy sommer dadelik mee click :huh: n Mens moet maar net geduldig bly ;)

Sterkte Ursula.

Hi there Michelle

You are really lucky to have a little one and you will find that he is a friend magent once you figure out how to use him to your advantage. Firstly join a playgroup costs are minimal and you go once a week for an hour. Secondly go to the parks. You will start finding regulars at the parks and just start asking questions "how old are your children" "which schools do your kids go to etc". You will also find that some churchs and community centres will have craft groups once a week with free childminding facilities. I know the church near us (sorry I am in Sydney) does craft classes and it has nothing to do with the church itself the craft class just uses their facilities. Also if you like Tennis join a local ladies group alot have childminding and you will find that you meet people there also. Key to meeting friends is just getting out of the house and chatting to people.

In Sydney we started with 4 of us having tea and we each invited a friend and now we are over 20 of us who meet all the time. Hook up with some of the crowd on the forum, when you see someone in Perth posting pm them.

Good luck

Hi Michelle, Hubby and little demolition expert.

Welcome to Perth, what part of Perth are you living in?

Cheers

Des

Hi, Michele!

I don't think you'll have too many worries about meeting new folk . . . . not in Perth.

We were only there a few days, staying at the Karringup Waters caravan park.

On the Sunday, we went to the Baptist church to the west of the caravan park . . . I actually walked back from church, so it's not too far (3 kms)

The Baptist church was in a beachside suburb just north of Scarborough.

There was a total congregation of about 80 people in the evening service.

I was told that there were 8 South Africans attending also, all new to Perth within the past year . . . . . that made 10% of the congregation!

Being a newcomer to the church I chatted to a couple of them and they were pretty friendly to this old bloke and his wife.

I'm sure that if you rock up at one of the services at your local church, you'll find South Africans around. There's more than one or two of them in Perth nowadays!

Failing that, go along to one of the Western Force games when in season and listen out for funny accents. Be bold and introduce yourselves. South African newcomers are in the same boat as yourselves in not having loads of mates and rellies on hand any longer once they step off that plane, so be prepared for open contact with them on a friendship basis.

This is the hardest thing in settling into a new country . . . . making a network of supportive friends . . . . and it only takes time, unfortunately.

Hang in there, girl.

Hi Des

We are renting in Dianella at the moment while we look around and decide where we ultimately would like to settle. We were looking at Ellenbrook. It seems nice and quite new too.

Michele

Ons het baie vriende in Ellenbrook en daar is nogal baie SA mense.As daai plek eers ontpop gaan dit n baie populere plek wees om te bly.Hul se ook n mens moet nou probeer daar invest want oor n paar jaar gaan dit eers duur wees om daar te koop.Jul sal nie spyt wees om daai kant toe te beweeg nie.

Groete Ursula.

• 3 weeks later...
Michele

Ons het baie vriende in Ellenbrook en daar is nogal baie SA mense.As daai plek eers ontpop gaan dit n baie populere plek wees om te bly.Hul se ook n mens moet nou probeer daar invest want oor n paar jaar gaan dit eers duur wees om daar te koop.Jul sal nie spyt wees om daai kant toe te beweeg nie.

Groete Ursula.

Hi Michelle

Send me a PM with your details. - we live close to you and would love to catch up over a coffee. I can put you in touch with lots of other South Africans in the area.