2nd day in Brisbane

Duane W

Yep thats right the start of my 2nd day.

About the flight Qantas have built those seats around 1.5m 60kg people they didnt take 1.8m 120kg South Africans into account.

I am NEVER flying back to South Africa if only for that reason.

Ran around yesterday with the financial guy from Aussiemigrant opened a bank account and applied for a credit card with Commonwealth bank and registered on Medicare and arranged top up medical aid with Medibank. Still to do Super and life cover

Impressions

Still getting my head around the total lack of security and the youngsters walking from A to B late at night.

Everybody is very helpfull and efficient took about 20 minutes to register for medicare and that was because their system was locked up for 10 minutes.

Eating out seems a bit pricy went out to the CBD last night and a steak meal was $26 a schooner of VB and Jack Daniels and coke was $12.

Going out to Bribie island with a 4x4 on Sunday.

My advice make some friends over here even if its on a forum before you come over. I have 6 new buddies on my 1st day allready.

Now to get my internal clock to behave itself.

Cellphone pics of the area I am staying in its called Forest Lakes

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/

Edited by Duane W

Welcome to Brisbane!! It is truly the best place in the world!! Glad to hear you are settling in nicely. Yes, eating out is expensive in comparison to SA. The trick is not to convert--remember--you are earning dollars now...

Hi Duane

Welcome to Brissie.

Was on Bribie last Sunday!

If I'm not mistaken Liza lives in Forestlakes.

Settle well!

Nilo

All the best Duane!

Enjoy Aus

Good on yer, Mate!

Getting on with things and making new friends is the best way of making a go of it.

Have fun!

Tracy

Guest fishermanswife

Hi and welcome.

Bribie is lovely was there on Sunday. My daughter was bodyboarding in the surf and we saw a rather large shark breezing around. Needless to say she did not bodyboard again.

Enjoy...

Welcome to Brisbane!! It is truly the best place in the world!! Glad to hear you are settling in nicely. Yes, eating out is expensive in comparison to SA. The trick is not to convert--remember--you are earning dollars now...

I stopped converting after the shock of a $7.50 smoothy at Sydney airport :ilikeit:

I just discoverd the nectar of the gods at the bottle store.

Jack Daniels and Coke premixed, I was so excited I had to phone home and spread the news :)

Blown $94 of my $310 credit in 2 days methinks its time to slow down.

As a matter of interest I did a comparison between contract and prepaid call charges on the Optus network and the Pre paid is slightly cheaper except for international SMS's.

Completely the opposite situation to RSA

Yip! Have to say that internet and phone services are cheaper. So I guess it makes up for the rest that is a bit more expensive. We have been here for just over 2 months and my feeling of the prices is basically--in the end it all balances out.

Yes--I also saw the Jack Daniels & Coke "premix". They have quite a few things like that here. Hope you have discovered "Dan Murphy's"?

Is that the Dan Murphy's just left of "sip 'n save" or the Dan Murphy's two blocks away from "sip n' save"? I also heard there was a Dan Murphy's near "sip 'n save" near the river?

Duane

Put Tangalooma (Moreton Bay) on your list of to - do as well - can 4 x 4 there as well