Military service papers??

DesertDaisy

We were just reading over the required documents section of the 457 visa, and spotted this:

"If you have served in the armed service of any country, certified copies of military service record, or discharge papers must be included with this application."

My dh did conscripted national service in 1993 and can't recall ever having received any kind of discharge papers. How have others who did national service deal with this requirement?

He is currently employed by the UAE military but in a civilian capacity - he bears no rank, arms or anything remotely like that. Will he still need to get discharge papers when he eventually resigns?

Any help would be appreciated!

Guest Larry

I was very correct (and probably very stupid) and asked the Australian High Commission in Auckland what to do about military discharge papers.

"I am still liable for call-ups and can't get them.", I said.

"Don't worry!", I was told......

So the only advice I can give is to tell the Aussies the truth and say that you can't get them.

Hi,

You should be able to get the papers from SA. My husband did his national service many years ago and I managed to get cofirmation of start / end dates, rank etc etc.

I will dig out my application papers and post the details from the forms we got back.

Cheers,

Paula

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey there.

On the military services side you actually need two documents :

1. A document specifying the length/dates and nature of duties/activities in the Force

2. A document indicating that all obligations towards the Defence force have been full-filled and that he won't be required to do any follow-up activities

You can get these documents from the Personnel Department of the SANDF (or the archives department if you can get the direct number) in Pretoria and it doesn't cost anything. As we have a contact in the Force :( we had our letter immediately but mostly ppl receive it within 4 weeks. (Could have changed a little by now..)

I do know of ppl who were pressed for time and signed an affidavit stating the above required, which was accepted by the Australian Immigration authorities. If you apply at the SANDF for the paperwork be sure to have the correct dates of klaar-in and service, the correct force number and ID number.

Hope this helps !

Love

SS

:)

Edited by Seoul Sister

Thanks, thats very helpful. My mom is being my paperwork gatherer on my behalf, so I guess its something else to add to her "To Do" list - I am going to owe her big time when this is all over!

Hi again,

Just had a look through our papers as promised.

The paperwork required will be issued by:-

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE

DOCUMENTATION CENTRE

PRIVATE BAG X289

PRETORIA

TEL: 012 3226350 (ext 214?)

FAX: 012 3235613

What you should receive (if you only did compulsory military service) is :-

1. A Certificate of Service indicating personal details including dates, rank, awards etc;

2. A letter confirming that you have completed compulsory military service and that there are at present no military commitments in SA. Letter will also state that compulsory military service has been changed to voluntary service and citizens are therefore no longer liable to render military service.

3. A letter detailing the military training camps attended.

We only submitted nos 1 & 2 above to DIMA.

When we applied we were living in the UK and simply faxed through a request tot the department. We included full names, date of birth, identity & passport numbers as well as force number.

I don't recall exactly how long it took to receive the paperwork back but I know it wasn't very long.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Paula

Guest Seoul Sister
I am going to owe her big time when this is all over!

LOL, hehehehehe, I can relate to that. My dad calls himself the Paper Boy.. :):D

I'm hoping a trippie Down Under with loads of time with the grandkids, visits to the beach and Blue Mountains will smooth things over effectively !! :(

Love from here

SS

:)

Edited by Seoul Sister

alsgal, did you request them to post the documents to you in the UK, or did you make other arrangements?

Hi,

The papers were mailed to us in the UK but I think you would probably be better off supplying a mailing address in South Africa unless you are certain that they will reach you in Abu Dahbi. I know that if I had to request the papers now, I would get them sent to an address in South Africa as I don't particularly trust the postal service in Saudi Arabia. :(

Hi,

The papers were mailed to us in the UK but I think you would probably be better off supplying a mailing address in South Africa unless you are certain that they will reach you in Abu Dahbi. I know that if I had to request the papers now, I would get them sent to an address in South Africa as I don't particularly trust the postal service in Saudi Arabia. :(

Considering that it takes nearly 4 months for a parcel to get from SA to Abu Dhabi, I think I'll use my mom once again!

Yeah I know exactly what you mean :(

I'm not sure that the postal service in SA is any better than out here but at least the paperwork will have less of a distance to travel.

Just to help out anyone else who also has to do this - the numbers have changed. The address is the same. The new numbers are:

Tel: (012) 3394600

Fax: (012) 3394631

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone who helped out on this with providing the info. My mom phoned this morning to say that my dh's papers have arrived. We sent the fax on 22 May, and my mom says the post mark on the envelope was 20 June, and it arrived in her PO Box today (26 June).

Now we are only waiting for the police clearance certificates, and then we have all our documentation ready and waiting to go with the application forms!

• 2 months later...

Hi!!!

What happens when you haven't done any military service (left school after the "diensplig" time :ilikeit: )? Does anyone know how that works?

Thanks and regards

Jaco

Hi!!!

What happens when you haven't done any military service (left school after the "diensplig" time :ilikeit: )? Does anyone know how that works?

Thanks and regards

Jaco

Just answer "No" on the question whether you served in any armed forces.

• 2 months later...