Westpac migrant banking

Riaan

Hi there guys,

I apologize if this question has been answered before.

I applied for a WestPac bank account online through WestPac migrant banking. I'm still waiting for them to confirm my account number, before transferring money to the new account from my SA bank account. (I have obtained a tax clearance certificate from SARS) We are leaving for aussie on 16 Nov 2007.

1) I was wondering if someone here have also dealt with Westpac migrant banking and what their experience with them was?

2) Do they also give you a chequebook once you identify yourself at a branch?

I was wondering, coz how do you buy a car for example without a chequebook once you arrive and do not yet have a job or any credit reference?

(I presume you could also bring over R160 000 in travellers cheques, but the commission seems way steep to exchange it) :blush:

Thanks in advance.

Riaan

Hi Riaan

I am also going to open an account using the Westpac Migrant banking. As far as I could see the account that you would open comes with a cheque facility. Just read up on the account type on the website, but it is quite comprehensive as far as I remember.

Besides the car you would also have to pay rent and a rental deposit, which is also quite a bit of money and I thought they would also take a cheque for this.

I am also interested to see how others find their service.

Hi Riaan

I am also going to open an account using the Westpac Migrant banking. As far as I could see the account that you would open comes with a cheque facility. Just read up on the account type on the website, but it is quite comprehensive as far as I remember.

Besides the car you would also have to pay rent and a rental deposit, which is also quite a bit of money and I thought they would also take a cheque for this.

I am also interested to see how others find their service.

We brought a draft and cash worth $.10,000 when we moved 3 months ago.

Karen

We are still in SA - my husband applied online at Westpac last week. They say they will post confirmation within a couple of weeks, but he can't wait as he wants to use it next week when he goes over for a few days.

An email to them for advice last week has got no response. :blush:

He is going to walk into a branch in Perth next week and try and open an account - will let you know how it goes. I'll tell him to ask about cheque books, credit cards, etc.

Mary

It's easy to open an account in Oz when you are physically there.

And if you are not yet a permanent resident, you can bring with you passport and two other identification papers; for example SA Drivers Licence; SA Credit Card etc....

With Westpac you should apply for the Westpac Choice account which comes along with the cheque book.

You may as well apply with ANZ for their Access Select Account which includes also a cheque book. They are as good as Westpac and quite a few branches open on Saturdays which no doubt helps.

Karen

Hi Riaan

I also recently opened an account with Westpac's migrant banking. I faxed off the application form, and received an email within a few days confirming receipt of my application, that it had been approved, and that my account details were posted to me.

After 3 weeks I still had not received anything, and needed to do my forex for my LSD trip (we leave next Monday), so I emailed them and asked them to fax me my details which they duly did.

So thus far I would say that my experience with them has been quite good.

Regards,

Scott

Hi there guys,

I apologize if this question has been answered before.

I applied for a WestPac bank account online through WestPac migrant banking. I'm still waiting for them to confirm my account number, before transferring money to the new account from my SA bank account. (I have obtained a tax clearance certificate from SARS) We are leaving for aussie on 16 Nov 2007.

1) I was wondering if someone here have also dealt with Westpac migrant banking and what their experience with them was?

2) Do they also give you a chequebook once you identify yourself at a branch?

I was wondering, coz how do you buy a car for example without a chequebook once you arrive and do not yet have a job or any credit reference?

(I presume you could also bring over R160 000 in travellers cheques, but the commission seems way steep to exchange it) :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Riaan

• 2 weeks later...

I opened an account and applied for a credit card with Common Wealth bank all they wanted was my passport as ID, certain branches are now open on Sundays as well.

After working for 1 week I have car finance approved so its pretty easy to get finance here.