Sydney - 4 months in

davidsa

I have been a regular reader on the forum and have been pondering for some time about posting. My partner and I (yes we are a gay couple, probably the only ones on this site) arrived in Sydney 4 months ago on a 457. Our reasons for leaving SA were not so much politically motivated, we have been lucky enough to travel far and wide and have always wanted an opportunity to live in another country and experience that countries way of life and culture. Australia happened to be it and so we arrived in May. Luckily we had 2 weeks paid accommodation so this could give us time to look around before deciding where we would like to settle. Unlike the majority of South Africans in Sydney we decided not to settle north of Sydney but looked south in the Sutherland shire and ended up in Sutherland. Rental prices are reasonable and we rent a 4 bedroom house for $460 per week in a nice quiet suburb. Finding a rental house is not such a big issue as most make out, if your documentation is in order you should have no problems. Of the 2 houses we applied for we got both. Agents were always friendly and on time for a viewing. The websites help to give an idea as to what is out there. If you can arrange a private viewing even better.

Banking is efficient, opening accounts very easy. We chose Westpac and currently have 2 accounts with them. Debit cards are accepted widely so there is never really a need to carry cash. You just need to get used to swiping the card yourself.

Getting finance has not been a problem. We have bought 2 cars one new and one used, both financed. Be prepared to put down a cash deposit and be aware that if like us you are on a 457 your period of finance will not be longer than 4 years. Insurance was arranged at the same time as the finance was. You will need to go the your nearest RTA to get a customer number. If you buy a new car the registration is normally done by the dealer. If you buy a used car you might have to go to the RTA and pay the transfer of registration personally.When its time to pay annual registration (our second car is now due) you do need to get compulsory CTP insurance before paying the registration. The insuring company will inform the RTA that the car is covered for the next year. This is compulsory in NSW. Getting around is easy if you have a GPS navigation device. It really is worth the money.

Train and bus services are fine although the trains are slow and most covered in graffiti which makes looking out the window rather difficult.

Shopping malls are like any other mall. Products and prices differ from supermarket to supermarket. Personally we prefer shopping at Coles or Woolworths and as a last resort Franklins. If you are a smoker then be prepared to pay. We are both smokers and to have to pay more for cigarettes than weekly groceries is tough.

So now the big question, was it worth the move from South Africa? After 4 months that is not an easy question to answer, so far it has been an interesting experience and for us quality of life is better here than back in SA. Apart from not owning our own property our standard of living has not changed much to what it was back in SA. We only had a domestic helper once a week back home and yes I do miss her, but we are prepared to do the domestics ourselves. Guess it helps if your partner is a chef so at least the cooking part is taken care of. Having a dishwasher is also a big plus.

And now for the good and the bad.

Good –

1. Being able to live and experience a new country and culture

2. Being able to walk freely without having to look over my shoulder

3. Driving with an unlocked car (and sometimes forgetting to lock it at night)

4. Freedom of choice, as there is so much variety to choose from. Be prepared to try something new and not worry about getting everything we had back in SA.

5. No bars on the windows at our house

6. Seeing people out and about walking their dogs, children playing, old folks strolling about

7. Friendly helpful people

8. Not being discriminated against

Bad –

1. Traffic lights which take forever to change

2. Parking which is non-existent wherever you go

3. The rude youth, and they are everywhere

4. Graffiti – goes hand in hand with point 3

5. TV ads – too many repeats and too often

6. Reckless drivers - especially the P platers

So good outweighs bad. Australia is not the land of milk and honey that so many people think it is. Crime is an issue just as it is in any other country.Will we stay? Yes. :ilikeit:

HelloDavidsa

Thanks for your story I really enjoy hearing from people who are already there.

Just one question, what is a P Plater?

Thanks

Michael

HelloDavidsa

Thanks for your story I really enjoy hearing from people who are already there.

Just one question, what is a P Plater?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael

P Platers are youngsters who have just got their drivers permit. They have a P Plate to show that they are new drivers.

Guest Bronwyn

Welcome to the forum DavidSA & partner :ilikeit:

Thanks for your nice balanced post. We have been here a little longer than you (9 months) and are also still sifting through the good, the bad & the ugly. There is some of each!

Please keep us up to date with your progress, it's always nice to hear other's views.

Regards, Bronwyn

Welcome DavidSA, hope your stay goes from better to best!

Guest ClanRogers

Hi DavidSa

Thanks for the read, it's always helpful to receive a realistic & honest interpretation... B) I'd be very concerned if Australia was without problems or challenges!!! To me it's all good... :whome:

Cheers

Brad

Hi DavidSa

Thanks for the post, it made very interesting reading particularly as Sydney was our second choice city. Hope you continue to enjoy your new life here!

Clare

Welcome to the site, David. Mike, the P stands for probation and it is compulsary for new licence holders (usually teens - hoons!) to put a red "P" in your front and back window. I think the probation period is 1 yr after which they may remove the P's. You will often see p-platers misbehaving thus the reputation. :whome: