Arriving in Sydney in January 2008

Bezuidenhout's

Hi!

We'll be arriving in Sydney in January 2008 on a 457.

I'm also applying for PR through ENS - but go on 457, as the ENS-approval takes longer and we (me and my employer) prefer us getting to Sydney in January.

We were wondering about suitable suburbs and schools.

I'll be working in Redfern.

What's the difference between suburbs north, south, west of Sydney CBD?

I've seen that most of you talk about suburbs in the Hills and on the North Shore.

How far (time-wise by rail) is this from Sydney CBD and Redfern, which is south of Sydney CBD.

We have 2 boys, and need to look for primary and secondary schools.

- Our oldest is 12 years (turning 13 in April) - if I understand correctly, if they go by age, he will 'skip' a grade and go to grade 8 in High (Secondary) School (he is currently in grade 6). Either way, even if he goes to grade 7, it seems that in Aus, grade 7 is part of the High (Secondary) school....

- My youngest is turned 11 in September and should be in grade 6 next year.

Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Alet.

Hi there

I am sure you will be happy in Syndey it really is a lovely place. Regarding suburbs I personally wouldn't settle south or west of the city. You should look at a map of the public transport routes and then look at the suburbs surrounding those. The North Shore Train line is brilliant and it takes about 35 minutes from Gordon to the city. Have a look at the bus routes etc, public transport here is very good, also work out a budget as this will also help deterimine where you settle. Have a look at realestate.com and search for properties in your price range etc and then have a look where they are.

Its pretty normal to be 13 years old in year 6 you might have a few kids turning 13 half way through the year so I wouldn't be skipping grades with any of your children. For your older son it will be easier for him to start high school in year 7 when everyone is new and getting used to the environment. Also most of the children will have come from different schools so it will be easier for him to make friends. You also need to decide if you will be going private, independant or public regarding schools? On a 457 visa you will be required to pay $4500 per child at a public school so it might be an idea to put your youngest child into a independant school for his last year of junior school (which is cheaper) and then put your eldest son into a public school as you should have PR by the end of next year and then when they are both in high school you shouldn't be paying the $4500. Unles of course you are thinking of private schools.

The schools on the north shore are very good and I believe Cherrybrook Tech in the Hills area is also very good if your boys are that way inclined and the variety of subjects is incredible.

Please shout if you have any more questions, have fun and good luck.

S

Hi sa2uaz

Just curious, why would you not settle in the south or west of the city? I have been in the Sutherland Shire for the last 4 months and love it.[

Edited by davidsa

Hi Alet

Bly om te sien alles vorder met julle aansoek!! Ons gaan ook Sydney toe so ons moet n plan maak om mekaar dan te sien - ek het saam met Michelle gewerk..

Groete

Estelle

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Thanks for all the info and good wishes.

Sorry I did not respond earlier - it's been hectic getting everything done for the VISAs.

Going for medicals on Thursday.

Alet.

Just curious, why would you not settle in the south or west of the city? I have been in the Sutherland Shire for the last 4 months and love it.[

I have also heard good things about some of the southern suburbs, plus they are not as snobbish as the northern suburbs. Best would be to rent for a while, drive around the different areas and see which appeals to you most.

You'll find information about the trains in Sydney here and a downloadable map (PDF format) of the cityrail network here.

If you're going to live south, you'll be travelling on the Eastern suburbs & Illawarra line (blue) to Redfern. Just don't live in Redfern! Not recommended...

As for western suburbs, well, let's just say the most tapid areas around Joahnnesburg (and I'm not mentioning any names) are no match for the Aussie equivalents! :ilikeit: