Reception Belfield (3 days) $1,700

Infants - (Kindergarten - Year 1) $1,820

Primary - (Years 2 - 6) $2,300

Junior Secondary (Years 7 - 10) $3,175

Senior Secondary (Years 11 & 12) $3.275

Sibling Concessions

Second child 10% concession

Third child 25% concession

Further concessions for additional children enrolled.

Application Fee

$110.00 per family

Building fund donation (voluntary)

$250.00

Hi Jan

I am pretty sure that the private school funding from the government goes to the school, not to the parent.

Hi Andrea

It is payable upfront I believe, however, I have heard of people that have petitioned the education board in NSW, they were earning a lowish salary, only the husband was working, and they had three children, the education board allowed them to pay the normal fees like everyone else, due to perceivied hardship.

Not sure if Mara is talking about us, but we have 3 kids, 2 of which are school going and we got a full exemption of the school fees till 2010. We should have our PR by then. You apply to the NSW education dept and they assess your case. Ours was granted in 3 days. We would have been in big trouble if we had to pay the $9000 for the 2 girls per year at a public school. We had the money, but then would still have no furniture if we'd had to pay it. You can also apply to pay in installments through the same process.

Candice

Hi Candice

Thanks for explaining the procedure, yours was not the instance I was thinking about, the couple I was referring to are not on SaAustralia.

• 4 months later...
My son is in a Catholic School in Sydney we pay about $2700 per year for him. We are on a 457 visa and there is no difference with the fees at a Catholic School everyone pays the same. If we were at a public government school we would have to pay $4500 on enrolment per child.

Do you mind if I ask you which school? If you're uncomfortable feel free to PM me.

T

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We have 2 children both doing grade 11 now in 2009.

They attend Dickson College, Canberra.

The normal school fees is $13600-00 per child per year, we applied at the Education Department for exemption because my husbands occupation is on the skilled shortage list, so now we pay $300-00 for both of them for the year.

So contact the education department, get them to send you an e-mail with all the documentation they need and apply, you will not know if you dont try.

Rene

Hi Everyone

I need some help on this.

Is there ANYTHING one can do if you applied for the exemption and did not get it. On the application you are informed that the decisions of the panel is final and that you cant appeal but what if you just don’t have it to pay.

Hope there is someone that have been successfully through this and have a answer for me or a contact ref for me.

Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to reply in the open

Regards

Burger

I was looking at an independent school in Sydney for my girls and find their 'international student' fees pretty damn hefty. :thumbdown:

I've attached the fee structure as an example.

As a temporary resident you should not be classed as "overseas students". If you have PR it should still be cheaper than this....

My 7c (or 1c in Rands...) :thumbdown:

The fees at Townsville Grammar, where I teach and where my daughter goes, one of the top schools in the country, is around $8000 pa for yr11/12.

We are part of the Independant schools of Australia (not exactly sure of the political structure...)And I don't think we get subsidised...

We were told the fees of other Independant schools running the same courses recently, and I cannot believe that Sydney and Brisbane and South Australia are charging the astronomical fees that they do. But then I sent Meg to Wykeham Collegiate in Pietermaritzburg for one year and I found the same un-founded fee structure back there....

I say un-founded because when you compare two of the "same" schools, like I have here, why would there be such a variance in fees?

Yes, I know, the Business Manager will always have a reason....

But parents can "shop around" and try and get the "best price" with schools nowadays.

Other teachers on this forum will back me up when I say that even State schools tend to run like businesses lately; they have to. (or at least they SHOULD be run like that!)

The only reason I can afford to send my daughter to this school, is that I give them buckets of blood, sweat and tears as a staff member :lol:

and they give me a 40% discount in return.

No, seriously, we are both completely "at home" in this school. It is the closest we will get to the school we were at in South Africa (Howick High School; a fantastic school in the Natal Midlands...), and my daughter is thriving. I LOVE going to work in the morning, and we have really great kids in the classroom. But then, I have a very pro-active and highly professional management team and, this is strange for Aus, there is a very strong culture of "it's OK to excell in academics"

When I decided to come to Aus, it was primarily to give my daughter a good start int he world. This is part of that start, and I'm happy to do it.

Enough waffling...

Hi Burger,

The letter says the decision is final, but appeal anyway. We sent them a letter outlining all expenses:

- detailed all the setup costs like first 2 months rent and bond deposits

- private medical costs

- purchase of a vehicle

- purchase of furniture and appliances, etc

Basically a P&L for your family.

Didn't work for us, we were declined again, but it has worked for others!

Good luck!

Edited to add: We just heard the happy news that my son's fees will be $5500 instead of $4500 as he is now in Year 11 - OUCH! So that's $10 000pa for us now...

Edited by zorba

OUCH, that is a lot of money.

My daughter goes to a Catholic school, the first term is always a bit extra, building fund etc, about $800 plus but after that about $660 a term, so not too bad.

Jill

Hi Burger,

The letter says the decision is final, but appeal anyway. We sent them a letter outlining all expenses:

- detailed all the setup costs like first 2 months rent and bond deposits

- private medical costs

- purchase of a vehicle

- purchase of furniture and appliances, etc

Basically a P&L for your family.

Didn't work for us, we were declined again, but it has worked for others!

Good luck!

Edited to add: We just heard the happy news that my son's fees will be $5500 instead of $4500 as he is now in Year 11 - OUCH! So that's $10 000pa for us now...

Thanks zorba - I will give it a try.

Any advise/comments from others still welcome

Sorry Rene, I forgot to ask, are you on a 457 or Skilled Independent Regional visa?

Hi we are on a 457 visa

Hi Zorba

I assume that if you don’t get the exemption you still have to pay the normal school fees etc

Am I correct in my assumption?

Is the private school costs:

More or less the same for all schools?

Where do I find the costs?

Regards

Burger

Hi Zorba

I assume that if you don’t get the exemption you still have to pay the normal school fees etc

Am I correct in my assumption?

Hi,

The school said they do not expect us to pay the "voluntary" P&C (PTA) contributions because we have to pay the other fees to DET.

We paid both sets of fees last year (because we didn't know any better!), but this year we only paid the DET fees.

We do however pay the building & library contribution (minimal) and any individual subject contributions there may be.

Obviously there are always other extras like school camps and outings.

zorba

Further to Renes reply, I received the following mail from the NSW education dept:

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your email.

The visa sub class determines whether the temporary residents education fee is payable, not the skill set.

Holders of 457 visas are required to pay the education fee but are eligible to apply for an exemption due to financial incapacity to pay. I have attached an application form and information on the exemption process.

Kind regards

Whether Renes experience is an ACT thing or I've run into an obstinate bureaucrat I don't yet know.

I've drafted the following reply to the dept. Do you think it's a little to strong?

Thanks for the reply, the financial constraints isn't my primary concern but the moral of double taxation is (i.e. taxation by both the state and the federal governments for education), particularly when I am being moved to Sydney to fill a post that could not be filled from within Australia.
Edited by TooFastTim

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have any idea whether the same would apply to the varsity fees? I emailed Griffith in Brisbane while we were still back in SA and was told that we would have to pay international student fees for our daughter. We are on a 457 and haven't looked any further into the matter because our daughter is finishing her first year at UJ so will only be joining us in December and going to varsity next year.

Does anyone have any idea whether the same would apply to the varsity fees? I emailed Griffith in Brisbane while we were still back in SA and was told that we would have to pay international student fees for our daughter. We are on a 457 and haven't looked any further into the matter because our daughter is finishing her first year at UJ so will only be joining us in December and going to varsity next year.

Yes, you are liable for international fees. I'm fortunate in that I've been granted a waiver for the first year in this respect, thereafter employer will foot the bill :)

• 2 months later...

Mara's original post states that 457 visa holders are eligble for subsidised education when enrolling at government schools in South Australia. Does anyone know wether this is still so (since the post is dated 2007) and would it apply to 475 visa holders too?

Hi Numbawun, to my knowledge that has not changed.

Thanx Mara, quite a relief to know we won't have that additional expense! Four kids of school going age - :ilikeit: could be quite a hefty amount...