Renting in Australia

DesV

When you rent a house, flat etc usually the agent / owner tell you the rent they want you then fill in a form with an offer to rent.

Rents are always on a weekly basis now remember there are 52 weeks in a year we tend to say 4 weeks per month but 52 divided by 4 is 13

In your offer tell owner/ agent you get paid monthly and would rather pay monthly then offer an amount slightly higher then 4 weeks rent

Example

Weekly rent $300 ($15 600.00 PA)

Offer to pay $1250.00 monthly (15 000.00PA)

The result is that you can save 600.00 per year, monthly payments are much easier and often owners also fall into the trap of thinking 4 weeks per month so grab the offer as they think they are getting a better deal. At worst they will reject in which case if you really want that property and are prepared to pay their asking price you can adjust your offer.

Happy Renting

Des

Good one and clever thinking!

We have also done our budget based on 4.33 weeks per month which equals to 52 weeks.

You can get a much more accurate budget by doing things this way around!

Cheers

T

When you rent a house, flat etc usually the agent / owner tell you the rent they want you then fill in a form with an offer to rent.

Rents are always on a weekly basis now remember there are 52 weeks in a year we tend to say 4 weeks per month but 52 divided by 4 is 13

In your offer tell owner/ agent you get paid monthly and would rather pay monthly then offer an amount slightly higher then 4 weeks rent

Example

The result is that you can save 600.00 per year, monthly payments are much easier and often owners also fall into the trap of thinking 4 weeks per month so grab the offer as they think they are getting a better deal. At worst they will reject in which case if you really want that property and are prepared to pay their asking price you can adjust your offer.

Happy Renting

Des

Hi Des

Thanx for the information, it makes so much more sense. While on the topic of renting, besides the weekly rent what else does the rental tenants have to pay. eg gas, electricity, rates etc....

Thanx

Camilla

Hi Des

Thanx for the information, it makes so much more sense. While on the topic of renting, besides the weekly rent what else does the rental tenants have to pay. eg gas, electricity, rates etc....

Thanx

Camilla

Hi Camilla

When you rent you have to give a deposit, which is refundable you also have to pay for water, electricity and gas but not rates or water levy etc.

Something to bear in mind is that when you rent you are given a condition report of the place you have rented, make sure it is up to date, make a note of every single scratch, mark etc be very thourough and even take plenty of digital photos that way when you leave you can not be blamed for any problem that you did not cause and will get your deposit refunded in full.

Good luck.

Des

Hi Camilla

When you rent you have to give a deposit, which is refundable you also have to pay for water, electricity and gas but not rates or water levy etc.

Something to bear in mind is that when you rent you are given a condition report of the place you have rented, make sure it is up to date, make a note of every single scratch, mark etc be very thourough and even take plenty of digital photos that way when you leave you can not be blamed for any problem that you did not cause and will get your deposit refunded in full.

Good luck.

Des

Hi Des

Tell me about it "condition report" :blink: , when we lived in the UK we had the same report, and it amazes me what small detail is on those reports.

Thanx for letting me know about the elect and etc.. :blink:

Regards

Carmilla

Hi Des

Tell me about it "condition report" :blink: , when we lived in the UK we had the same report, and it amazes me what small detail is on those reports.

Thanx for letting me know about the elect and etc.. :blink:

Regards

Carmilla

The detail depends largly on the agent, The third property I rented I was given the condition report which even went as far as to list the jnk that had been left behing in the garage such as old ironing board, old broken clothes horse, rusty tin and glass jar, it also listed a pile of firewood behind the shed.

I rewrote the condition report and stated that the following items had been left in te garage and as I was renting and he was not paying me for storage if the stuff was notcollected within 2 weeks i was going to assume it was not wanted and would throw it away.

Another possible charge is if you have pets often they ask for a $100.00 pet bond this is usually not retuned and supposedly used to spray house / garden to get rid of possiblity of fleas etc.

Regards

Des

Edited by DesV

• 3 weeks later...

Example

Happy Renting

Des

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. Landlords in Australia are much more savy than that. 90% of propertys are let through agencies. Being a migrant you will struggle even to find someone to rent there place to you, as you make an application along with about 5 othere people and the landlord chooses who he wants based on income ect. I own a house in Brisbane and beleive me you wont even get a shout in at the moment unless you offer something like 12 weeks rent upfront or some other incentive to choose you instead of someone with a track record in Australia.

Good luck.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. Landlords in Australia are much more savy than that. 90% of propertys are let through agencies. Being a migrant you will struggle even to find someone to rent there place to you, as you make an application along with about 5 othere people and the landlord chooses who he wants based on income ect. I own a house in Brisbane and beleive me you wont even get a shout in at the moment unless you offer something like 12 weeks rent upfront or some other incentive to choose you instead of someone with a track record in Australia.

Good luck.

Hi Sebr

I am glad you find it ridiculous in renting 4 differnet properties over a time period of 3 years I saved myself a couple of thousand dollars by doing just that, By the way all the properties were through agencies and when you rent through an agency the agency usually gives the lanlord the offer to sign off on.

When I look at the little pile of money saved it makes a lot of sense to me.

Cheers

Des