about it areas

anike

hallo everyone!

This is my first post to an excellent site!! Everyone writing and replying many thanks.U r helping sooo much....

Now I need to ask something....I would like info. regarding senior it developing positions in oz. Our main problem is deciding between east and west australia. We already burned our fingers with pretoria...positions are mainly for junior programmers and we end up taking the highway between pta and jhb. everyday!!This is a daily nightmare!!!! :ilikeit: If it opportunities are for the medium to longterm going to be the same in perth as in pretoria...we will end up moving from west to east oz .To be spesific we r talking of 10 years + expierence in developing programming integration current language usage of c# that needs to find a suitable home.As moving from perth to the east will be a major one we dont want to subject ourselves to it if not needed.However if we know that perth in future will be able to provide enough positions -if one needs to change jobs ? it will be a bonus as we really like perth.Mainly we just need to check.Is the perth jobmarket in it ,the same as in pretoria, for a senior software programmer?

any ideas?

greetings anike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anike,

I'm not sure if I am really qualified to answer, but in my opinion the IT hub is in Sydney and Melbourne. I am also in the IT field (in QA/Testing) and just looking at the job offers on seek told me to focus on those two cities. Third on the list was either Brisbane or Canberra (believe it nor not! :ilikeit: Apparently nobody wants to live in Cenberra so there is a fair demand for IT skills), and fourth was Perth. The best though will be to spend some time on SEEK to see what is advertised, where and for how much.

Hope it helps!

-Reinhardt

Hi Anike,

I'm not sure if I am really qualified to answer, but in my opinion the IT hub is in Sydney and Melbourne. I am also in the IT field (in QA/Testing) and just looking at the job offers on seek told me to focus on those two cities. Third on the list was either Brisbane or Canberra (believe it nor not! :ilikeit: Apparently nobody wants to live in Cenberra so there is a fair demand for IT skills), and fourth was Perth. The best though will be to spend some time on SEEK to see what is advertised, where and for how much.

Hope it helps!

-Reinhardt

thanks reinhardt!!

will do

greetings anike

Hi there

Unfortunately they are right Sydney and Melbourne are the IT hotspots. Although Perth is stunning unfortunately its a long way for the rest of the Aus ciities and I think big companies are less likely to settle there. I am not saying you won't get a job but the jobs advertised are just fewer.

Having said that I also know that Queensland are on a major recruitment drive at the moment to fill certain skill shortages and they are currently running a huge show in Sydney to persuade certain skill sets to move.

Have a look at seek and careerone and look at the positions available. Also email the different agencies and ask them. I know not everyone has had responses from agents but we were really fortunate and we got a lot of replies and we still get mails 2 years down the line.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
hallo everyone!

This is my first post to an excellent site!! Everyone writing and replying many thanks.U r helping sooo much....

Now I need to ask something....I would like info. regarding senior it developing positions in oz. Our main problem is deciding between east and west australia. We already burned our fingers with pretoria...positions are mainly for junior programmers and we end up taking the highway between pta and jhb. everyday!!This is a daily nightmare!!!! :ilikeit: If it opportunities are for the medium to longterm going to be the same in perth as in pretoria...we will end up moving from west to east oz .To be spesific we r talking of 10 years + expierence in developing programming integration current language usage of c# that needs to find a suitable home.As moving from perth to the east will be a major one we dont want to subject ourselves to it if not needed.However if we know that perth in future will be able to provide enough positions -if one needs to change jobs ? it will be a bonus as we really like perth.Mainly we just need to check.Is the perth jobmarket in it ,the same as in pretoria, for a senior software programmer?

any ideas?

greetings anike

Hi Anike

I'm a senior developer in Brisbane, finding a job here wasn't difficult at all although I'm more junior now than I was in my last job (team lead to senior developer). Perth's economy is booming and there is a reasonably big IT market there, my company were offering to relocate one of us there a few months ago as they were so desperate for somebody. I'm not too familiar with the Perth market but I don't think you'd have a problem, have a look on seek it gives you a fair idea of jobs. :ph34r:

Martyn

Hi Anike,

I don't yet have a job, but am in IT and have been doing a lot of phone calls, sending of CVs and stuff, and I've been told that I am way more likely to find work in Melbourne and/or Sydney than Perth. The general feeling appears to be that it's because these cities are better established than Perth, which is still growing very rapidly.

If it's any help, I found that phoning companies directly (as opposed to recruitment agencies) gave me much better responses (and potential offers). The agencies were helpful, but aren't exactly going to bend over backwards unless you're actually in Oz. I got all the contact info I needed off seek.com.au. Sometimes there's over 50 jobs a day offered in Melbourne alone, just for .NET programmers. Perth is more like 5 to 10.

That being said, with my skill set (senior programmer, 15 years experience (10 of it commercial), last 4-odd years with C#), they all said that they would be able to interview me tomorrow and pretty much place me with 48 hours, and this was in Perth AND Melbourne. They placed emphasis on one actually being in the country.

Good luck with your efforts! ;)

John.