WA Drivers licence

Overtaker

Well, I got my learners yesterday so I can start the whole process of converting my RSA licence to a WA one...

And I went for a lesson today. and I was told I drive too fast, I'm too much in a hurry, I don't look in the mirrors enough, etc etc etc... With comments like that you'd think I was from South Africa...

Anyway, when I got here I heard that there is about a 3 month waiting list to go for a test, but wait - you need to convert your licence within 3 months of landing... pretty tight. Anyway, I also found that there are often cancellations, so the soonest I could go for the practical test would have been 2 days after getting my learners, but I decided to go for a lesson first and then practise a bit, so I'm going 4 days after getting my learners. Interestingly, the next gap after those two openings, appears to be in December...

The driving instructor reckons if you phone every day, there will eventually be a cancellation, but you may need to be prepared to travel to get to a less convenient testing centre.

Hi Overtaker

As you are here on a 457 you only need to convert within 12 months, the 3 month limit is for people with permanent residency.

My hubby is at the licensing office at the moment, can't wait to hear when his test dates are... I am so glad I do not have to go through the whole testing process :whome:

Good luck

Gaille

Edited by The Parsons Family

Hi Overtaker

As you are here on a 457 you only need to convert within 12 months, the 3 month limit is for people with permanent residency.

My hubby is at the licensing office at the moment, can't wait to hear when his test dates are... I am so glad I do not have to go through the whole testing process :ilikeit:

Good luck

Gaille

Hi Parson family what is the procedure to convert ones drivers licence? My wife and I (kids) will move to Perth soon on a 457.

kind regards

Alias :ilikeit:

I posted this on the forum a while ago but I can't find it :ilikeit:

This is straight from a mail I received from the licensing office.

"Thank you for your email regarding the transfer of your driver's licences.

If you are to become a permanent resident of Western Australia, you have three months in which to transfer your driver's licence.

To transfer your overseas drivers licence you will need to attend a Western Australian Licensing Centre or regional Licensing Agent. To find the address of your nearest centre/agent, please visit our website www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing <http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing>. Licensing Centre addresses are also listed in the White Pages under Planning and Infrastructure (Department for).

Licensing Centre opening hours are from 8.15am til 4.30pm Monday to Friday (Excluding public holidays). Regional agents opening and closing times may vary, so please check times before attending.

To transfer your licence, you will need to bring the following identification with you.

*Passport

*Overseas Drivers Licence

*Secondary Identification that displays your signature, such as an ATM card or Credit Card; and

*Proof of Residency, i.e. something that displays your Western Australian address, such as a bill, bank statement or lease agreement.

Some applicants will be required to undergo a multiple-choice question test on Western Australia's road rules. This test is based on information in the Drive Safe (http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/learner/dsbook.html) Book. Those who need to complete the test will be required to attend a Licence Centre/Agent before 3.45pm. In some cases a practical driving test may also be required.

You will be exempt from the theory test if you obtained your driver’s licence from:

Austria France Luxembourg Spain Belgium Germany Netherlands Sweden Canada Greece New Zealand Switzerland Croatia Ireland Norway United Kingdom Denmark Italy Portugal United States of America

Finland Japan Singapore

At the centre/agent you will also be required to complete an eyesight test.

To transfer a heavy vehicle licence class, you must pass an oral test on specific issues relating to size and dimensions of heavy vehicles. The test will comprise of 10 questions of which you must get 8 correct to pass.

Please note, if your overseas licence is not written in English you will need to produce an official translation from the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs <http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/mylicence/about/visit.html> at the time of transfer. The Department’s offices are located at,

45 Francis Street

Northbridge 6003

Telephone: (08) 9261 2266.

Alternatively, the licence may be translated by your Consul. In this case the translation needs to be on an official Consulate letterhead and be signed by the Consul General or other authorised officer.

You may also have your licence translated by an approved National Accreditation Authority Translators & Interpreter's (NAATI) translator. There is a fee for this service.

For your Driver’s Licence, an application fee of $43.30 will be charged together with the standard renewal fees. Renewal fees are:

For one year: $35.00

For five years: $111.00

The cost to transfer your husband's drivers licence differs.

He is required to sit the theory test therefore will need to pay a fee of $33.00, on passing the theory he will have to pay an application fee of $45.00.

He will then be required to sit the Practical Driving Assessment. When he passes this assessment he will the be required to pay the renewal fees:

For one year: $35.00

For five years: $111.00

Payments are by cash or cheque at any Licensing Centre or regional Licensing Agent. Licensing Centre's also accept EFTPOS payments. Please make all cheques and money orders payable to the Department for Planning and Infrastructure.

If you have any further enquiries please reply to this email or visit our website www.dpi.wa.gov.au. Alternatively you can contact our Customer Contact Centre on 13 11 56 or (08) 9427 6404 if interstate or overseas."

I have a British licence so I don't have to do any tests but my hubby has to do both tests :ilikeit:

Hope this answers your questions

Gaille

Hi Overtaker.

Ons is nou 10 maande hier.Ek en my vrou het laasweek die toets gaan skryf uit 30.Dit het ons 19 dollar gekos .Ons kon eers 6 Des in Joond. uitpasseer toe se ons nee gee in n ander plek.En die Maandag het ons gaan uitpaseer in Morley en ons altwee het dit gelukkig gekry.Almal het vir ons gese gaan daar dis makliker daar en stiller.Dit het dalk gemaak dat ons dit maar pertoeval gekry het.Die uitpassering was 65dollar elk gewees.Ons foto's is daar geneem en het gister ons drivers in die pos gekry.Dit was so lekker om met dit in ons hande te staan en te weet dankie tog dis agter die rug.Ek is seker jy sal dit ook dadelik kry.

Sterkte Albert.

Thanks Albert,

Yes its weird how it works... I passed the learners test yesterday and got an appointment in Joondalup for Monday 24th... But the next opening there is in December after that.

Cheers

R

Good luck mate :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:;):ilikeit::whome::ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

You will get it!

Albert.

Hi thanks Al,

managed to pass it ok, with one little error - managed to do a u-turn for the "left-something-behind" task on a blind corner.

:ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

oh - and the price seems to have gone up - I paid $116 for the 5 year option...

Edited by Overtaker

:ilikeit: I told ye so.

Congratulations :ilikeit:

Albert.