Spontaneous Weekend

Jongman

So it’s Wednesday morning, and I’m sitting at work reading my emails. I had just received an email from one of my best friends and after reading it I felt truly lonely once again. Sometimes being so far away from everything that you found so familiar becomes harder. So I decided to ring mum. (not that company policy allows it) I told her that I felt homesick and that not having many friends is getting me down. Then mum said something that shook me up.

She said :”Why don’t you go to Perth for the weekend?”. Rofl yea right. As if I can go to Perth for the weekend. There is no way, I thought to myself. But then the idea hit me. Why not? Perth is only a two hour flight from Adelaide, and if I leave on Friday, I could come back on Sunday night. So I jumped on Google and checked out the cheapest prices. AND JUST MY LUCK!! A flight to Perth 3pm on Friday and back again 6pm on Sunday. I booked the flights on Wednesday. Paid for them on Thursday, and when Friday hit I was over the moon. It was a very impulsive move on my part and I wasn’t sure if I should go through with it. But i did.

Perth is a wonderful city. Returning to Perth felt like I had returned home. It was amazing seeing the Swan River again. It was astounding driving past Kings Park again. Driving down the great eastern highway felt like a dream. Just seeing the Perth skyline made me smile. I was great spending time with all my friends again. (Not that there was enough time).

On Sunday I went to Freo with a very close friend of mine. Fremantle is one of the most astounding places in the world. Its is located about 19 kilometers southwest of Perth. Fremantle was the first settlement of the Swan River Colonists in 1829 and it was declared a city in 1929. Freo has a population of approximately 26,000.0

My friend and I had brekky at a café in the middle of the central strip. The best crapes in town. Ella then suggested that we walk past the prison. We went past the Freo prison as well as the maritime museum. We then stopped for Ice-cream at McDonalds. But this is no ordinary Maccers. The one in Fremantle is located on the beach. And I mean its literally on the beach.

After Ice-cream we went to the markets. The Fremantle Markets opened in 1897, forming a precinct providing handicrafts, specialty foods, dining halls and fish and vegetable markets. The area also hosts buskers and other street performers. I had my portrait done there ages ago. Over 150 stalls are housed in its old Victorian-era building, which was listed by the National Trust and Heritage Council in 1980. Hundreds of people venture into the markets to look for all sort of memorabilia. Walking through the Victorian buildings is an overwhelming experience. I spent many days in Fremantle when I was younger. So to live through that again was fantastic.

On Sunday night I was exhausted. I had arrived home and it was nearly 11:30pm. (Because of the hour and a half time difference) I knew that going to work the next day was going to kill me. But it was worth it.

It’s a very satisfying sensation knowing that I can go back to Perth whenever I feel like it. Because I had so much to do the time just flew by. It’s also fantastic to know that it won’t cost me an arm and a leg to go away for a weekend. I had a fantastic time in Perth and I’m glad to have gone.

Thanks mum .Without your spontaneous suggestion I would never have gone.

Hi Fred it was realy encouraging to read about your experience of Perth. We are moving to Perth soon.

Alias

So it’s Wednesday morning, and I’m sitting at work reading my emails. I had just received an email from one of my best friends and after reading it I felt truly lonely once again. Sometimes being so far away from everything that you found so familiar becomes harder. So I decided to ring mum. (not that company policy allows it) I told her that I felt homesick and that not having many friends is getting me down. Then mum said something that shook me up.

She said :”Why don’t you go to Perth for the weekend?”. Rofl yea right. As if I can go to Perth for the weekend. There is no way, I thought to myself. But then the idea hit me. Why not? Perth is only a two hour flight from Adelaide, and if I leave on Friday, I could come back on Sunday night. So I jumped on Google and checked out the cheapest prices. AND JUST MY LUCK!! A flight to Perth 3pm on Friday and back again 6pm on Sunday. I booked the flights on Wednesday. Paid for them on Thursday, and when Friday hit I was over the moon. It was a very impulsive move on my part and I wasn’t sure if I should go through with it. But i did.

Perth is a wonderful city. Returning to Perth felt like I had returned home. It was amazing seeing the Swan River again. It was astounding driving past Kings Park again. Driving down the great eastern highway felt like a dream. Just seeing the Perth skyline made me smile. I was great spending time with all my friends again. (Not that there was enough time).

On Sunday I went to Freo with a very close friend of mine. Fremantle is one of the most astounding places in the world. Its is located about 19 kilometers southwest of Perth. Fremantle was the first settlement of the Swan River Colonists in 1829 and it was declared a city in 1929. Freo has a population of approximately 26,000.0

My friend and I had brekky at a café in the middle of the central strip. The best crapes in town. Ella then suggested that we walk past the prison. We went past the Freo prison as well as the maritime museum. We then stopped for Ice-cream at McDonalds. But this is no ordinary Maccers. The one in Fremantle is located on the beach. And I mean its literally on the beach.

After Ice-cream we went to the markets. The Fremantle Markets opened in 1897, forming a precinct providing handicrafts, specialty foods, dining halls and fish and vegetable markets. The area also hosts buskers and other street performers. I had my portrait done there ages ago. Over 150 stalls are housed in its old Victorian-era building, which was listed by the National Trust and Heritage Council in 1980. Hundreds of people venture into the markets to look for all sort of memorabilia. Walking through the Victorian buildings is an overwhelming experience. I spent many days in Fremantle when I was younger. So to live through that again was fantastic.

On Sunday night I was exhausted. I had arrived home and it was nearly 11:30pm. (Because of the hour and a half time difference) I knew that going to work the next day was going to kill me. But it was worth it.

It’s a very satisfying sensation knowing that I can go back to Perth whenever I feel like it. Because I had so much to do the time just flew by. It’s also fantastic to know that it won’t cost me an arm and a leg to go away for a weekend. I had a fantastic time in Perth and I’m glad to have gone.

Edited by Alias

Hi Fred

Really enjoyed your post, also considering Perth & it's always reasuring to read a thread like yours... :rolleyes:

Thanks

Brad

Perth is a great place to live, I wouldnt swop it for any city in the world.

Cheers

Des

Guest ClanRogers
Perth is a great place to live, I wouldnt swop it for any city in the world.

Cheers

Des

Thanks Des!!! I see you've spend some time in a good few Aussie cities from your profile... I'm sold! :rolleyes:

Ek het in brackendowns gebly vir meer as 5 jaar. :whome: