Plasma / LCD television

Springbok

Are there perhaps any "experts" (real or otherwise) regarding high definition TV on the forum? I have a few dollars to burn, but want to face the salesmen armed with a reasonable amount of knowledge. Busy doing my own research, but would like to get a few personal opinions/recommendations too. So if you feel qualified, please PM me and I'll let you know my requirements. I'm considering 42 inch and have been told that Samsung and Sony are the better names to go for... I last bought a television set about 5 years ago so am not really in touch with the latest technology.

Are there perhaps any "experts" (real or otherwise) regarding high definition TV on the forum? I have a few dollars to burn, but want to face the salesmen armed with a reasonable amount of knowledge. Busy doing my own research, but would like to get a few personal opinions/recommendations too. So if you feel qualified, please PM me and I'll let you know my requirements. I'm considering 42 inch and have been told that Samsung and Sony are the better names to go for... I last bought a television set about 5 years ago so am not really in touch with the latest technology.

You want to look at resolution, which should be at least 720p (768 pixels high). 1080p will be better but the difference in price doesn't really make it worthwhile.

The other very important thing to look at is your contract ratio which should be at least 5000:1 although you should really try to get 10000:1. This will probably make the biggest difference on your picture.

Plasma vs. LCD is a personal choice. For mostly normal def, I would take plasma otherwise on High def I'll take LCD... it's your call :P

I'm no expert though, maybe someone else know a bit more than me.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just recentyl bought a Samsung LCD 40 inch. We were also told that Samsung or Sony are the better choices. Got a great deal at Bing Lee..and i just love the HD

• 2 weeks later...

Bear in mind that High defintion TV is on its way and some of the TV's advertise HD TV ready but do not have HDMI ports on. So check if the tv has HDMI input ports on and not jsut a HD tv ready sticker on as there is a diference.

yeah i got a great deal at Bing Lee too.... Panasonic Viera... very happy.

Can someone please confirm if it is cheaper to buy an LCD in Aus or here in SA - we are on our way and am putting a list together of what to take along and what to buy there. A response would be much appreciated. :ilikeit:

Can someone please confirm if it is cheaper to buy an LCD in Aus or here in SA - we are on our way and am putting a list together of what to take along and what to buy there. A response would be much appreciated. :D

I'm not sure what they cost in S.A., but the price difference wouldn't be too much. A 42" plasma will cost you roughly A$2000 (= R12,000) give or take a few... just do not blindly pay the recommended retail price (RRP)! As for plasma vs LCD, buy LCD for anything smaller than 42". See Whychooseplasma.com

My rule of thumb for most electronic equipment: if yours is relatively new and you really like it, then bring it across. But if it's more than 5 years old, rather leave it behind and buy new in Australia. 1) you'll get the Aussie warranty and 2) you'll eliminate the chance of it getting damaged while being sent to Australia.

Springbok, we have also recently bought a Panasonic Viera and are EXTREMELY happy with our purchase. Marius has been in rugby heaven with the World Cup in HD! :whome: I work in AV and did a lot of research into all the specs, reliability, price, even power consumption (as Plasmas are notoriously heavy on electricity) and the Panasonics came out way on top.

I agree with you about buying LCD for smaller than 40 inch - Panasonic also does the best LCD IMHO for the money. If you have a LOT of money to burn, go for a Pioneer