Police Clearance certificate

DesertDaisy

We are currently resident in the UAE, and have been for two years. We have managed to get a police clearance certificate from here, but apparently we'll also need one from South Africa (the booklet says we need one from every country we've been in the last ten years). Do you need to be there in person (i.e. be fingerprinted) to get a police clearance certificate or can you nominate someone to do it for you?

We are currently resident in the UAE, and have been for two years. We have managed to get a police clearance certificate from here, but apparently we'll also need one from South Africa (the booklet says we need one from every country we've been in the last ten years). Do you need to be there in person (i.e. be fingerprinted) to get a police clearance certificate or can you nominate someone to do it for you?

Hi Desert Daisy,

I have recently received my SA- clearance certificate in France. You will have to go to your nearest SA Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence for fingerprints and they will send it of to SA. It takes approximately six months, unless you have someone in SA, who can chase it up for you. My mum drove to Pretoria, got hold of someone in charge and managed to get it in half the time. I think we were a bit lucky though, as I had to wait nearly 18 months for a new passport after they first made a spelling mistake in my surname, lost my papers the second time and wham… third time lucky.

My advice to you will be to follow up as much as you can. Keep names of everyone you speak to and keep copies of all correspondence.

Apparently, there is a huge drive to better the service so I hope you can benefit from it!

Nane

We're off to see the Embassy now. I'm getting so stressed about this. Its so hard doing it all from another country.

Hi there

I am going to get bunnyhop to get my police clearance I am sure I will have to get the fingerprints but they really do speed things up and I know people who have had delays after police clearances were last more than once so I think it is worth the money you pay. They charge R380 for a unabridged marriage certificate not sure what a police clearance will cost. They also courier to anywhere in the world. bunnyhop.co.za

Good Luck

We went to our embassy this morning, and they were very helpful. They used to do the police clearance certs but don't any more. But they did still do our fingerprints and gave us a detailed instruction sheet on how to obtain them from here.

In the end we've decided to DHL the fingerprints etc to my mom, who will then be our document handler from that side.

We're also send all our applicatons for birth certs etc to my mom who will use a reliable local document handling company to get them all. We had originals of everything, but they were all abridged copies, and we apparently need unabridged.

All this effort, and we still don't even know if he has the job.....

*sigh*

hi desert daisy

don't strees, all will work out, the biggest issue is getting birth cert's and police clearances

i know what you going through as i was also in dubai when i decided on oz and started with the whole migration thing, and also didn't have a confirmed job. your chances of getting a job here increase easily 10 fold once you have the visa. i also got the dubai police clearance before i left dubai

it's amazing the difference between the process in uae and sa, in dubai they scanned my retina and fingerprints electronically and i waited for an hour after that and i had my signed certificate, in sa it was all a manual process, i went to the local police station where i had ink put on my hands and i then couriered the forms myself to pretoria with a box of chocolates and a sob story that my life depended on some civil servant there taking pity on me and trying to process my application asap...i waited about a month which was good compared to some. my advise is not to rely on the sa-police's internal mailing but you anyway not so that's cool.

so i went sa-dubai-oz and we are very happy

roads are a bit crappy here, although better than in sa i would of expected bteer for a 1st world country, the no-crime here is a big plus for us and it's also amazing how you actually get so much back for the tax you pay in many ways compared to sa

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you all know that this has not been at all easy to get. They no longer accept appointments to organise police clearances. And the names of two contact people that the embassy here gave me are so wrong its not even funny. The one guy retired TWO YEARS ago, and the other moved to Durban.

They now estimate it will take at least 4-6 weeks to get the clearance certificate.

I just feel like crying today. Its bloody hot (around 48 deg, 70% humidity) and all I want to do is get on with my life, and start over in Australia. It feels like its never going to happen at this rate.

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi DesertDaisy,

Quick question : Are you going to Australia on a 457 visa ? I'm sorry I can't remember now. We are going on one and don't need police clearance. We will only need police clearance certificates once we want to apply for PR... Is your situation maybe the same ?

Good luck with the heat you poor thing !

Love

SS

:rolleyes:

We need a police clearance for my dh's job - his employer requested one - Dh is in the medical field.

Thanks Seoul Sister. Its very frustrating indeed. It took 3 days to get the police clearance certificate here. He got his hand scanned, his photograph taken, and 3 days later a courier (sent by the police) delivered the document......