IT professionals

Springbok

Hi everyone

I'm trying to get my youngest brother over here as well, with the new rules it seems I can sponsor him here in Sydney and that the passmark for skilled migrants sponsored by a relative in Australia has dropped to 100 points. Now as far as I can see, his points would be made up of the following and please correct me where I'm wrong:

SKILL - 60 points for Computing Professional: Applications & Analyst Programmer. He has a diploma from the Computer Training Institute (CTI) and works as a web developer, programming in PHP, Oracle, Java and so on. Have I matched him to the correct occupation and does the ACS accept the CTI diploma?

AGE - 30 points for 18-29 years age bracket

ENGLISH ABILITY - either 15 or 25 points for IELTS test

SPECIFIC WORK EXPERIENCE - he hasn't worked for 3 years yet, so 0 points here

MODL - 15 points for Java or Oracle

OTHER LANGAUAGE - 5 points for Afrikaans

So seems to be that he would be guaranteed at least 110 points? Therefore qualifying for the Skilled-Sponsored visa (subclass 176). My only concern is whether the CTI diploma is accepted by ACS as equivalent to an Australian diploma. Do any of the IT guys already working here in Australia, know?

Thanks

Charl

Guest ClanRogers

Hi Charl

I suspect a CTI diploma will be accepted by the ACS as they are affiliated to the likes of the University of Cambridge, London Metropolitan University & many other renowned institutes... I'm definitely no expert but it just makes sense. :rolleyes:

Good luck to you both!!!

Brad

Hi

The problem is even if they accept the diploma, they will want 6 years experience in stead of 4 because it is not a degree.

Sorry about that.

Hi Charl,

I suggest you phone ACS and find out if your brother's diploma is accepted. PTLABS could possibly also give you this answer.

SAS

• 4 months later...

dotnerd, he probably got it on the DIAC web site, you should before anything take many hours reading/surfing that and the forum.

Hi Charl,

I have a diploma from Wits and my skills assessment came back favourable.

What I gathered is that they compare the diploma with the STD degree in IT.

This was quite easy as the diploma is very similar to a Bsc and also was 3 years full time.

I do think that it might be a good idea to find out from the ACS. as it all depends on the content odf the diploma (but then again I could be wrong).

Sorry but this is all I can add.

Regards,

Natasha

I have 4 diplomas from CTI, 2 Microsoft Certfications and 1 SAP Abap Certification.

If I go over on a 457 would I still need to get my diplomas and certifications certified?

Edited by Swayze1985

The problem is even if they accept the diploma, they will want 6 years experience in stead of 4 because it is not a degree.

Spot on, NikkiH. They need six years experience.

Swayze, as far as I know, on a 457 visa you don't need your skills assessed, but there are certainly other requirements that you need.

Read THIS for the official lowdown of the requirements for the 457 visa.

Hi

You wont need to have your skills certified for the 457 visa, but if you dont have an IT degree (a 3 year diploma may also be accepted but I stand to be corrected), then you will need 5yrs experience in the nominated position.

Cheers,

N

Hi Springbok

Your brother would need to do the RPL Route and he would need at least 6 years work experience. I don't think he would have a problem getting a job so why not try for a 457 and then when hes here you get bonus points for Aussie work experience and he might get his employer to sponsor his ENS.

Good Luck

S

PS. ACS don't answer any queries they direct you to their website.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys

Just a question, Nats123 mentioned that she received a positive evaluation from the ACS with a 3 year diploma, I also have a 3 year diploma in information technology, which was a full time course, and it was also a IT centred course, I'd say about 95% of the course content was IT related, I also have about 5 years and 4 months of experience as an analyst/programmer, would my application not be considered as I would have to meet the 6 years experience criteria or is there a chance that it would come back with a positive result?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rowen,

I don't want to be a prophet of doom, but I can tell you that a friend of mine did her skills assessment based on a degree, which had some IT content. She was declined by ACS, based on the fact that she didn't quite have the required six years relevant work experience.

My advice to you would be to get hold of an agent to do your assessment; it really is worth it. I highly recommend Rensche at Custom Migration Services - you can PM CustomEyes on this forum.

You have to wait untill you have the 6 years. In the meantime, get all the docs like unabridged birth and marriage certs in order, and passports, etc

Hi

ACS are very strict - even with all my diplomas, mcse, courses, plus 18yrs experience etc etc - I still had to write a fULL RPL proving I knew my stuff.

Then I had to have experience (current) - I cant remember the exact amt of years - think it was 7 yrs to qualify for 60points

Then I got 15 MODL points for my JAVA - but I had to PROVE i had been working (current) in this field for 12 mths out of the last 18mts (had to submit SARS docs as well) - and to prove i knew Java I had to get reference letters, certificates, examples of work etc.

It took me 12months to eventually get 60points for IT and 15 MODL points for Java.

so I think it may be worth your while to speak to an agent or email ACS

Good luck

p.s. my advise - i think he should try apply for positions and go in on a 457 visa - his skills seem very good and in demand !!!!!

but that is just my 2c worth.

again... good lucky

you're a gt brother

:lol:

Hi there,

I got my skills assessment with a NDIP IT at Wits Tech.

Certain diplomas are recognised by the ACS if the comply with the requirements i.e 3 years full study.

So I would stay it depends on what you have completed and a combination of your experience.

Nats