Venemous creatures

Die Krugers

Hi There!

I saw a program on TV about the most dangerous venoms in the world, and most of them are in Ausralia! It made us a bit weary! There was the funnel web spider, the redback spider, the brown snake (I think that was what it was called), and the box jellyfish and also a small jellyfish the size of half a tennis ball, and a white-ish sea snake that can attack you. That means that we will probably never swim in the sea, and the seasnails that you can tread on, means we will probably not walk barefoot on the beaches!! According to the program these are very venomous, and especially with the jellyfish, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when you will get stung... Have you heard of many peolpe in Adelaide who any of this has happened to?

Have a lovely day!

Cheers

Tania

In the line of snakes our only real venomous one is the Brown snake, it's venom is quite potent, but there are anti-venoms and most people get to a doc in time. You mostly encounter them in the bushlands here in Adelaide, and they are rarely encountered in the suburbs.

The Red Back spider is quite poisenous as well but i can't say that i've ever heard of someone dying from it's poison.

The White Tail spider's poison causes skin infections, and it take awhile to recover from an infection due to a bite.

Dax

Edited by Dax

Hi Tania

I also saw that program, it almost confinced me to stop the immigration process, I phoned my sister-in-law that has been in Oz for about 5 years, and she told me that she had seen more "creatures" in Hillcrest, KwaZulu Natal in one year than in the 5 years of them living in Brisbane.

Hopes this info helps a bit.

Monica

That's in Oz..... :rolleyes:

What about all the :lol: Black Mamba, Groen Boomslang, Knopie spinnekop etc in SA? (sorry - I don't know the Eng names) :holy:

From the creatures in the sea - I can't talk about. Maybe Mauritz can help???

Groetnis

JJ

Haven't seen one funny looking, dangerous creepy crawly here......not yet. Even the flies are still on winter holiday. What I'm most scared of is this fluffy, powdery moths that always come straight for me. Can't stand them! I get goose flesh just thinking of them. :blink:

Kannidood.

Hi :blink:

No need to be weary at all. The most dangerous Gogga common in Southern Africa has never been spotted in Aus. That is the Piece Gogga - you know, the one that runs around with a AK47 and makes the terrible sound Piece, Piece - I want the biggest Piece. This sound is sometimes confused with the sound Peace. Luckily you don't find the Gogga here in Oz, so there is nothing to worry about :)

My neighbour is a fruit & vegetable farmer - got bitten by a redback - was in hospital for a week. Stanthorpe is a very small town and this time of the year - snake bites are common. I'll try and get the statistics for you. I know this sounds bad, but I don't know of anyone that died because of snake bite.

A South African girl, friend of mine, got bitten by a brown snake in Toowoomba last summer. Her neighbour rushed her to hospital and she was OK of course. I was the lucky winner - crawled under the house with a flash light - looked in the shed - no snake of course. One of my ridgebacks got bitten in the middle of winter, in the middle of Toowoomba, years ago. Treatment was available immediately - $800 later.

I see many snakes in my area, but they're not a problem.

Believe me, creepy crawlies are not a problem in Aus. You can combine all their attacks (18 million people in Aus) and compare that with the attacks of the Piece Gogga in Southern Africa - a nasty suprise. In the end, that is what it is all about:)

Regards :)

Hi :unsure:

No need to be weary at all. The most dangerous Gogga common in Southern Africa has never been spotted in Aus. That is the Piece Gogga - you know, the one that runs around with a AK47 and makes the terrible sound Piece, Piece - I want the biggest Piece.

Ja Mariuz I agree I would rather be bitten by Gods creature than bitten by satans "piece gogga"

:holy: Col

Mauritz,

Geweet ons kan op jou staatmaak!! :unsure:

Vir jou was dit 'n peace of cake!! :holy:

Groete

JJ

Tania,

we were watching that same program a few days ago on Discovery, I think? We have lots of redback spinders in our outbuildings and garden here in Adelaide - just like black widows in South Africa. There, one of our lodgers got bitten on her hand by a black widow and was very ill in hospital for a while. You just have to check where you put your hands, and wear gardening gloves (a huge redback ran across the back of my hand while I was gardening :D ). We have heaps of whitetips in the house. They are horrible little scurrying ant-like spiders with a white spot on the tip of the abdomen. There is some disagreement as to whether their bite causes necrosis or not. They bite other spiders, including redbacks, and that apparently could affect the "potency" of their bite. There is also a relative of the funnel-web that is quite common here - the black house spider. It also makes a "funnel" with a trampoline-like net that spreads out from the entrance. My kids love putting little bugs on that trigger piece and watching the spider rush out and pierce the poor thing with its HUGE jaws. Quite fascinating. They can bite and it is apparently very painful, but not deadly. The Eastern brown snake is also common here. We have had one in the pool (dead). They are extremely poisonous, even the babies and even when they are dead, but are just as shy as the snakes you get in South Africa. One thing you do have to watch out for in the hills here is the hopper ant (also knows as inch ant or jack jumpers). We saw our first one a few weeks ago. They are huge, with big jaws, and orange legs and a sting in the tail. Their sting can cause anaphylaxis just like bee sting (and is much more painful, I'm told). The only other dangerous creature here is the Blue Ringed octopus, which is tiny and lives among rocks, so don't stick your hand in between the rocks in the reef! No one has died here from any bites, including snake bites, in many many years and overall the numbers are extremely small.

I had first aid training at school and we were told that for all stinging creatures we find in Adelaide, you immediately put ICE on the wound and get to the hospital, where they have all the anti-venoms. For snakebite, you calm the victim and make them lie down (when they're calm the venom doesn't travel around the body so quickly). Then, you tie a broad bandage, towel or t-shirt very tightly right on the site of the bite, and then bind the ENTIRE limb tightly with towels, bandages, or whatever. This restricts the movement of the poison. You have to call an ambulance in this case, because it's not good to move the victim too much. A good thing to remember is that when you're out bushwalking, always take your mobile phone, as even if there is no signal to your provider, you can still make emergency calls to 112.

The museum in Adelaide usually does a lecture during the holidays about venomous creatures in South Australia which is very interesting.

Edited by Annette

Hi All

We live in Brissie and I have to honestly say the worst that I have seen is the mozzies, but they are everywhere and don't bite me they fly over me and bite my hubby!!! Lucky me!!!

Lovies

Nilo

Those mozzies head straight for me don't even look at my husband, must be his medication (type2 diabetic). The huntsman spider only catches insects, but used to scares the s.... out of me, now we used to him. You just need to wear gloves to work in the garden and check for spiders. no big deal. As for not walking on the beach, are ya for real? I think you got bigger problems living with fear in SA :)