Skool gelde in Melbourne

Michelle M

Hi Almal,

Daar is 'n paar mense wat my gevra het om te laat weet wat kos skole in Melbourne ....so here goes :ilikeit: :

Public primary school: $61.50 per kwartaal

Private primary school: tussen $14 000 en $22 000 per jaar :whome:

Daycare: tussen $190 en $275 per week :o

Family care: tussen $4 en $9 per uur :holy:

Dit is ongelooflik duur. Ek hoop om my 2 dogtertjies in family care te kry. Die waglyste is erg by beide family en daycare. My seuntjie begin Maandag by Brandonpark Primary in year 1 wat darem nie te duur is nie.

Baie groete

Michelle

And dont forget the before school care cost $7 per day

afterschool care $12 per day

holiday club $35 per day

These are if your kids are at primary school so its additional to the school levy you pay.

Hi there,

I just wanna ask how an average family cope with costs like this?

How much joint income would one have to earn annually to manage with say 1 child in full day care and in a public school? It really scares me that we are gonna go over and financially just hope. We are basically just coping here - so I am very concerned.

Please help!!

It is expensive if your child is not at school yet, as you are looking at about $280 for kindy; thats why most australian moms stay at home. In South Africa we could not afford to be stay at home moms as the cost of living was so high. Here you can easily stay at home and live off on one salary provided you do live within your means.

To answer your question on how does one cope? I chose to work full time as I was bored being at home so I did not mind paying these costs as it was a trade off for my sanity. Although I budget about $1000 dollars a month for my two kids I am so used to paying it that it doesn't get to me anymore. Also the salaries are better here.

I suggest you take the average salary for your occupation and do your sums as if you were paying these childcare costs from your salary and after tax is deducted see what you are left with.

It is not that bad. If you and your husband end up earning the average salaries you can do it and chances are you will come in earning higher than that.

Thanks Michelle,

Dit help baie, wat is die verskil tussen day care en family care, is dit soos 'n creche en 'n dagmoeder.

Hoekom kies jy family care, is dit meer intiem of is dit meer soos hoe dit in sa is?

Ulrich en jou dogtertjie is omtrent dieselfde ouderdom (25 maande) so ek sal graag wil hoor wat jy dink.

Wanneer het die kinders gekom, of is hulle nog oppad?

Sterkte daar vir julle en dankie vir die info.

Cheers

T

Om die waarheid te se...ek weet nie hoe cope mens nie. Ek gebruik op die oomblik ons spaargeld van SA en hoop, bid en vertrou dat ons genoeg geld sal he as my man eers begin werk om al 3 ons kinders op skool te kan hou. Dit lyk darem of ons alles met my salaris sal kan betaal met my man se geld sal ons dan net die skool geld en spending money en die res weg sit vir die baie duur trip SA toe oor die kers seisoen.

Dinge is maar duur hier maar ek dink mens pas maar aan. Dis soos as jy nog 'n kind kry, jy weet nie hoe jy finansieel gaan cope nie maar op die ou einde doen jy.

Tanja - die kiddies is hier. Hulle het Saterdag gekom. Daycare is soos kleuterskool en family care soos 'n dagmoeder. Ek wil hulle graag in family care sit want dit is goedkoper (2 kinders in daycare of family care is no freaken joke :blink: ) en dit mag dalk moontlik nader aan ons huis wees wat help met die logistics.

Ek kyk ook na 'n au pair wat weer ander voordele en nadele het maar ek het nog nie 'n prys vir dit gekry nie.

Ek weet al die dinge klink baie scary - dit maak my ook bang met tye, maar dis oor en oor die moeite en geld werd. Kom net hier en julle sal sien :)

Edited by Michelle M

Michelle I agree it must be a bit hectic having two kids at daycare. My two is in primary and before I found work I also felt the same way ;about how we were going to cope with all these additional costs ,but once I started to work it all fell into place and it turned out to be manageable.

Hope all goes well and it sounds as if you are settling in nicely.

Hi Smartie

Michelle mentioned that $4000 net a month is alright if you dont have kids in daycare and I agree with her. Dasycare is expensive and you would need a bit more.

Michelle why is your petrol so much for teh month? Are you planning to drive into the city? We use our car for weekends only and to an from the station and we budget $100 a month.

Michelle why is your petrol so much for teh month? Are you planning to drive into the city? We use our car for weekends only and to an from the station and we budget $100 a month.

I just took a guess. I think that's what my friend mentioned but she does drive to work. So I think its either $200 for petrol or $150 for public transport

Hi Michelle,

Thanks amillion for this, its great to get it from someone that is actually there rather just from here say.

If my hubbie and I were to earn gross income of AUD 100 000 per annum. AUD 40 000 for me and AUD 60 000 for him - What sort of tax would we pay? What I mean is - what would the rough monthly take home be? Thanks a million as we are not on the high demand list there nor are we highly educated. We are infact living month to month in SA hence my concern.

Thanks alot love Smartie

Hi Smartie,

I think you can relax. $100 000 is allot of money. IMO you will be better off here than back in SA. One thing that I notice is that people don't really differentiate between "classes" here. For instance a train driver earns $85 000 - $110 000 per annun - more than an account or even a doctor. You don't have to have a degree to earn a decent salary you must just be willing to work.

I am not exactly sure what you will take home - but I think it will be in the region of $70 000 per annum or $5800 per month. May even be a bit more.

I promise you it is all worth it. It is beautiful here and safe and relaxed. You are making the right decision.

Are you thinking of coming to Melbourne? Have you decided where in Melbourne if so?

Hi Smartie

Based on the salaries that you stated, your take home pay would be as follows:

$40,000 $60,000 Income

-$7,350 -$13,350 Income Tax

-$600 -$900 Medicare Levy

$32,050 $45,750 Take home pay

$77,800 together divided by 12 equals $6483-33 per month.

Many thanks, this is a great help

Hi Michelle,

My hubbie gets back tonight from his LSD and he went to Perth and Brisbane. I now wish that I had gone with but financially it was just too much, coz as you know, the agents fee, visa fee, english test fee etc is alot (well for us) but an opportunity came 4 him 2 have free accommodation so he took it. What I must say is how wonderfully supportive all ex South Africans have been. There were people that Ryan had never even met b4 and they invited him into their homes and offered him alot of advise.

Its great to see !!!