Settling In

Sandi

We've been here for 2 1/2 weeks & last week the home sickness hit me BADLY!!! It took me by surprise because I really didn't expect it as I was so excited for this new adventure.

How did you cope?

And how long did it take you to feel 'normal' again?

In the beginning it’s easy to get caught up in the hype of moving. There are so many different things to see and do that you barely miss “home”. Its when you start to do all the regular things like going grocery shopping or go to the movies that you really start to miss everybody.

I coped by writing. In my opinion it’s very important to email and sms all your friends and family back home in the first couple of months. Let them know about everything that’s going on in your life at the moment. Write them a four page email and describe everything that you have seen and experienced. Make it a weekly thing where you describe everything with intense detail. By doing this you are letting them know how much you miss them and you’re also filling the gap that has been left.

2 ½ weeks is a very short time. I remember when the clock showed that I haven’t seen any of my friends or family for 2 years and it still didn’t feel normal. That was very difficult but its something you have you deal with.

Fred

Try and meet as many people as you can. Get out and keep as busy as possible.

We've been here for 2 1/2 weeks & last week the home sickness hit me BADLY!!! It took me by surprise because I really didn't expect it as I was so excited for this new adventure.

How did you cope?

How did you cope?

Homesick, me? ZERO after 3 months... :holy:

For me there's nothing to be homesick about, Australia IS home now.

Made lots of friends so far and doing all kinds of things I always wanted to do. If you're bored at home, learn a new language, take up surfing, join a local church, take dance classes... just don't sit at home and isolate yourself from your wonderful new surroundings.

I remember when we first arrived it was really a honeymoon period. It was great and I loved it. Then the kids started school and I would come home to an empty house and cry like a baby. I decided that this is home now and we made the decision to move and I MUST make friends so I called a few mom's on the school list and we had a coffee date. Since then I can call them my friends and I am no longer isolated.

Springbok suggested going out and meeting people or joining a club you're interested in and thats a good idea.

I am here 6 months now and things are just getting better. I wish the same for you.

Feel normal? Was I ever normal?

Well we met a few people from the forum some we liked and some we didn't... and then we started getting out there. I think it is easier to meet people when you have children of school going age or when you are still into the clubbing scene.

You just have to risk being rejected and get yourself out there. Volunteer at the local RSPCA, join a church, join a sports league (these are the things we did) and when your dogs get here go for walks on the dog beach (there are loads of folk who will just strike up a conversation with you).

Also with your little ones, take them to the park and get chatting to all the moms there, I'm sure they will be easy to chat to.

It is OKAY to feel homesick and it will pass. There are still days when I miss my family and friends in SA but I have new friends here and they are fantastic. Friday afternoons are my worst because that is when all my girlfriends would get together for Margaritas and a chinwag so I just keep extra busy then.

Don't stress about it, things will get more familiar and you will feel more at home

Gaille

Ag Sandi sterkte ou girl.Nou moet jy weet ons is nog ouerige mense ek en my vrou en dit was net so swaar.Troos jou daarin dit gaan beter raak met tyd.n Mens kry nog steeds nou en dan sulke dae.Hoop jy voel sommer gou beter .Vas byt.

Groete Danielle.

Hi

Today is my first day as a member of this forum. My husband Luan and I have been in Sydney for almost 3 months. We are settling in reasonably well, given his family are here and mine all in Heidelberg. I have met numerous other SA's on our journey and have come to realise that we all stick together here, which is great, I think we're missing family, friends and The Bulls the most! Luckily we can support the Bokke, how brilliant was Bryan Habana at the last game.

I've tried to find my way around on this website, but would need to spend more time on it.

Tanya

Sandi weet jy ons almal was daar deur so jy moenie alleen voel nie.Dit is maar n fase en sal stadig deur dit kom.Vat dag vir dag.Miskien moet jul by n nice kerk aansluit of n koffie oggend saam met die vrouens.Ek is seker daar is so iets.Jy sal sien dinge gaan beter raak.Wees sterk oor n paar maande gaan jy terug kyk en al vergeet het en dink dit was darm nie te erg nie.Ons het deur dit gekom net soos die res van die mense op die forum en dan kan jy weer ander moed inpraat.

Hoop dinge gaan gou beter.

Groete Ursula.

Hallo Sandi,

Just a short note to wish you all the best. Where are you..if you are in Adelaide you are invited for tea and cake. Hang in there, it WILL get better, I know.

Regards,

Kannidood,

I was talking about this yesterday. Surprisingly enough, I have had no problems settling in at all. But I guess that its simply because I have a cousin close by (family always helps), and have already been living out of South Africa for quite some time.

That said, I did find my first 6 months out of South Africa when we moved to ABu Dhabi in 2004 hard. I ended up getting really depressed and miserable. The key is actually building your own network. Join everything - you can always "unjoin" if you don't like it - that means go to school events, church, mothers groups, the library, craft clubs, social clubs with other South Africans - if its there, join it. You may not like everyone you meet, but you will meet some people you get along really well with, and will begin to make friends.

Don't be shy! Australians are really social and mostly quite friendly. I think it helps if you have kids that go to school or playgroup, and you will be able to connect with other moms there. And if you say, Hey, I need to get out and join things, you'll be surprised at how many options there are. There are craft classes at local libraries, story time at local libraries, options for volunteering, lots. But the key is to challenge that nervous little "oh god I'm new and don't know anyone" interior voice and take a chance. Its hard, especially if you are naturally shy, like I am (was).

It is important to keep the connection with home - e-mail is great, letters (Auspost is fantastic) good, phone calls, SMS, even fax if you have to! Whenever there is a family gettogether back in SA, I always phone in the middle of it. That way I get to speak to more family members in one conversation and I feel part of things. THe family gatherings are what I miss the most really.

AND SERIOUSLY - if you ever start feeling like it simply too hard, and you get really depressed, talk to someone. They have lots of counselling services here, and although you may think its a load of bollocks, I would really recommend it. If I hadn't gone for counselling, and asked for help after getting so depressed in Abu Dhabi, I doubt my family would have managed to stay together.

We've been in Wagga Wagga for 2 months ! It still seems unreal but what I do MISS MISS is that I cannot share what I see everyday and experience with the family at home. Don't want to go back home though. This is a good life and I wish they could all live here and we can all sit in the park feeding the ducks or watch the birds. ....

How did you cope?

Wow! Two and a half weeks are a bit quick! Ussually it works in 3 month cycles and the worst is around nine months away from "home". You never stop missing your family and friends, you just handle it better.

There are some good advice given here. Good luck and try and be as positive as you can!

• 2 weeks later...