Greetings From Melbourne

Guest Chris Rimmer

Guest Chris Rimmer

Hi Everyone,

I'm originally from Joburg and went to school in Grahamstown. I've been living in Melbourne since 1991. I still miss S.A. a lot and have been back many times just recently with my two year old daughter and pregnant wife. I have mixed feelings about the way S.A. is going. Whilst I can see that during my childhood things were not politically, socially or economically equitable, I do often find myself day dreaming about growing up in S.A and have a great deal of nostalga for the life we used to live over there.

Australia is a fantastic place and has been very good to me. I married an Australian girl and I can bring our two children up with a sense of peace and security. Out of all the bad things I left behind, I find the violence against children in S.A. the most inexplicable,horrific and disturbing.

I would like to say to my fellow countryman, I understand your motivations and your hope, your sadness and mixed feelings for emigrating to Australia. If I can be of any assistance or provide any advise, please don't hesitate to contact me through this forum.

In closing I just want to say this. If and when you do get here, please remember the pride and the love we have for South Africa. Keep this in mind when talking to your new hosts. South Africa needs all the tourist dollars and business exchange it can get. Australians have a very negative view of S.A. which has been as a result partially of an over zealous media but also partly also because of expats calling the old country for everything. I know things have gone downhill for many people in S.A. - remember though, that life has improved for a a great many people as well. And - at the end of the day, it's still the Beloved Country and always will be as far as I'm concerned.

You have to keep things in perspective. Personally, I have been a victim of crime more in Australia than I ever was back in S.A. The difference was that I didn't get shot over here in the process. Expats will find a great deal of similarity between S.A. and Australia - particularly in relation to lifestyle.

Anyhow I digress, please let me know if I can be of any assistance and the very best of luck to you all.

Brilliant post Chris!!! I share the same sentiments. Like i always say, i am a proud South African from Kimberley. The biggest reason being that, i have a wonderful woman ,whom i call my mother ,still living there. We are all not fortunate enough to make the move.I will be grateful for the Aussies giving me an opportunity in there country but i will always be a Griquas and Province supporter.

Guest Chris Rimmer
Brilliant post Chris!!! I share the same sentiments. Like i always say, i am a proud South African from Kimberley. The biggest reason being that, i have a wonderful woman ,whom i call my mother ,still living there. We are all not fortunate enough to make the move.I will be grateful for the Aussies giving me an opportunity in there country but i will always be a Griquas and Province supporter.

Thanks Rodz. Good luck with your adventures in Townsville. I've been there quite a few times and it's a very nice place with a lovely sub tropical climate.

Hi Chris

I'm from PMB and find JHB huge and scary. We are keen to go 1st to Brisbane - close to my brother - and 2nd (maybe) Melbourne. Are the cities scary big, for a small town person I mean??? I like my laid back life style here in PMB so if possible could you give me a bit of a comparison?????

Thanks

nc74

Edited by nc74

Viva Chris!!!!!

Guest Chris Rimmer
Hi Chris

I'm from PMB and find JHB huge and scary. We are keen to go 1st to Brisbane - close to my brother - and 2nd (maybe) Melbourne. Are the cities scary big, for a small town person I mean??? I like my laid back life style here in PMB so if possible could you give me a bit of a comparison?????

Thanks

nc74

Most people agree that Melbourne has the best of everything Australia has to offer rolled into one.

Thanks for that Chris. I'm quite keen to go to a regional place but my hubby is concerned about job opportunities and he has to work so I've reached a stage where I don't care city or town as long as we leave here asap. I do love our country but I worry about my children.

Keep well

Natalie

Guest Chris Rimmer
Thanks for that Chris. I'm quite keen to go to a regional place but my hubby is concerned about job opportunities and he has to work so I've reached a stage where I don't care city or town as long as we leave here asap. I do love our country but I worry about my children.

Keep well

Natalie

Hi Natalie

I live in Brissie and I would easily say that it reminds me of PMB where we lived years ago. More than Dbn. The Gold Coast is more like Dbn, well that's my observation. We also like small town living and there are many many to choose from in and around Brissie.

Lovies

Nilo

Thanks Nilo

The more I think about it the more keen I am for Brisbane. Hard to choose a place when you've never been there. I know my brother LOVES Brisbane!!! It will be good to be close to him to. I miss him and his family ALOT.

Love Natalie

I just had to say:

MELBOURNE ROCKS! even the weather, it never disappoints you, it is always there!

Must admit I would rather have Melbourne's weather than Sydney's house prices!

Chuckle chuckle LOL!

Guest Chris Rimmer
Hi Chris

Thanks

nc74

Natalie - I obviously I'm having little luck enticing you to Melbourne! Check out this site [url=http://www.news.com/couriermail which is the main newspaper in Brisbane. They publish job vacanies every Saturday and reading the news section will give you a better feel for the city.

Cheers,

Chris