Cost of Living: Canada vs Australia

Retha_hhr

Mara's post regarding cost of living in Melbourne had me thinking again. I am trying to get a comparison between what we currently pay in Edmonton or where we do not pay anything at this point (like child care) I gave the information I have found on the Internet.

I first got a big scare because it looked like Australia was a lot more expensive, but after a closer look, the difference doesn't look that much.

I created a spreadsheet and I hope I have copied Mara's information correctly into the spreadsheet. If not then sorry, Mara. I didn't add regional Victoria because I assume everything should be the same except for the renting.

Please find the spreadsheet attached. Will those of you in the particular cities, for which there are columns, please download the spreadsheet, populate the specific column and then re-attach it to your reply? I would really appreciate it very much. If you prefer to give it just in a reply, then that is fine as well. I will then just update the spreadsheet myself.

I know I can find many information on the Internet, but I do not know if that information is up to date. In my search for example on child care in Edmonton I came across a website, but its values were that of 2005, totally outdated. I would very much like to work with recent data from real families.

Where your family consists of more than 2 adults and where the cost is directly linked to the size of your family, I think it would be close enough if you take your budget amount, divide it by your family size to get to one and then multiply it with 2. This is because my costs as well as Mara's costs are for 2 adults.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

Hi Retha

It all looks OK except for the travel tickets. Perhaps you want to update your spreadsheet?

Zone 1 is only within Zone 1

Zone 2 is onoy within Zone 2

Zone 1 & 2 covers both. So I would put the prices for Zone 1 & 2 in.

Regards

Mara

Thanks Mara, I have fixed it in the spreadsheet.

I have added also salary ranges I could find on the web for Systems/network administrators. The speciifc website didn't have info on Perth. I also added the Across Australia low, median and high for this occupation. Then in my search for the salaries in Perth, I came across the following website and its figures for Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Canberra is again different from what I copied into the spreadsheet. So, it is quite difficult to get the correct data. I like the salaries that I copied into the spreadsheet :ilikeit: , but it might not be true :whome:

https://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs07/Infor...0Technology.pdf

Regards,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr