Melbourne : Cost of Living Updated 02 Feb 2015

Mara

I have kindly been reminded that it costs a lot of money to surf the web from South Africa and I was requested to place the price of things here, so that it is easy for people to see. I will attempt to do so, but I am sure this message will be an evolving one. Here go's

Rental Accommodation

A lot depends in which area you are looking but the cost of a three bedroomed house can range per week from:

North $300 - $500

South $300 - $600

East $450 - $????

West $250 - $500

Please remember, that usually you will be expected to put down a deposit of 4 weeks rent and be required to pay from 2 to 4 weeks rent in advance.

http://www.realestat...r...p;t=ren&cu=

Gas

The majority of homes use gas for central heating, and for cooking (stoves). Some also use gas for the heating of their hot water. This is a difficult one for me to answer, as our home is totally electric except for the central heating.

Summer months $70 per month.

Winter months $120 per month, depending on how long you leave your central heating on for, per day.

Electricity

The majority of homes use electricity for their lights and oven only. Again, this will be a huge variable, depending on the actual home.

All Year home with electric oven/lights $150 per month

All year home with electric oven/cooktop/lights/water heating $220 per month

Water

Approximately $100 per month.

Childcare

$50 per day per child....if anybody reads this and has better info, please pass it on and I will update this message.

Petrol

It fluctuates, every day, and from garage to garage, we do not have prices set by the government.

$1-50 per litre (lately it has been down to $1-30 and up to $1-60)

Transport Train/Tram/Bus

The following map will give you the TRAIN zone breakdown, yellow is zone one, blue is zone two. Also remember that your ticket covers train, tram and bus. If you have to take a bus to the train, and from the train a tram, it is all covered by the one ticket.

http://www.metlinkme.../fares-tickets/

The following is the TRAM zone breakdown

http://www.metlinkme...stations-stops/

Groceries

We spend approximately $150 per week on groceries, however, we are only two people. We do not buy much in the line of prepared or ready to cook goods.

Motor vehicle annual registration fee

$650 per motor vehicle approximately

Motor vehicle comprehensive insurance

$600 to $3000 per year

Huge fluctuation, depending on the value of the vehicle, age of the driver, the high side is for an 18 year old learner driver, the low side is for a 58 year old driver.

I hope this has helped - if there is anything you want added, let me know and I will do so.

Edited by Mara
Prices updated to 02 Feb 2015
  • Like 1

I agree with Bronwyn, very helpfull and interesting to compare the prices with Brisbane ;) .

I can only comment on our experiences in Brisbane so far:

Rental Accommodation:

Anything between $380 - $600 per week when you want to live in a radius of approximately 5-7 kms from the city. I've only been looking at 2 bedroom units and were able to find suitable accommodation 180m from a train station and 7kms from the city.

Gas: No experiences so far

Electricity: No experience so far

Water: No experience so far

Childcare: No experience so far

Petrol:

Have not really noticed :blink: , but all I know is that it is cheaper on Tuesdays and gets more expensive towards the weekend.

Transport:

See Translink for tarrifs. Seems somewhat cheaper than Melbourne's, but I am only looking at the price for 2 zones that we will be using.

Groceries:

Although we are only 2 people, we spend an average of $100 per week on groceries.

Motor vehicle registration per annum:

$948.06 for our vehicle - seems a bit expensive when comparing it to Melbourne's :D ???

Motor vehicle comprehensive insurance:

We paid $700 per annum, but may go down when we move to the suburbs :blush: . Don't know whether Indooroopilly will qualify for a lower rate :unsure: .

Lovies, Pippa!

Infant costs,

Hi,

I went onto Coles website and "purchased" the following goods:

15 x "purity" bottles

4 x 900g Formula (lactogen)

3 x Packs nappies crawling babbies 48 p pack

1 x Top to toe baby wash

9 x Packs wipes

4 x Boxes baby cereal

1 x Baby body cream

Total $214.00

This is my stock for the kids per month

Hope this helps

Excellent, thanks to everybody that has replied!

Just one question, why is car registration so extremely expensive in Australia? In Canada I pay $68 per year for my car registration which is a sedan.

In Canada the insurance is a bit cheaper when one register all the cars and the house with the same company. Is this also the case in Australia?

Looking at this, the cost of living is more expensive than in Canada, I just hope the salaries are higher than in Canada to afford all this. Seeing this is really scary.

Regards,

Retha

The annual car registration includes compulsory third party insurance, that is why it is so expensive.

This third party has nothing to do with the car but with people! A Transport Accident charge is included in your annual registration renewal fee on each vehicle you own. These charges are used to pay for treatment and support services for people injured in transport accidents.

The TAC is strictly 'people' insurance, it does not cover any property damage.

Here is the breakdown of the annual charge on my car.

Registration Fee $172-80

TAC charge including 10% GST $327-00

Insurance Duty $32.70

The Insurance Duty, is the stamp duty on the TAC charge. :)

• Like 1

What is vehicle comprehensive insurance then?

It looks like you then pay some things under car registration that we will pay under car insurance. Here is our car insurance break down:

Our car insurance covers:

CAD$1 000 000 third party liability

Collision coverage with us paying the first CAD$500

Comprehensive with us paying the first CAD$250

For the 2002 Ford Focus 4-door sedan:

Our payment for the 3rd party liability is CAD$540 with a CAD$14 family protection endorsement (no clue what this is)

Payment for death or bodily injury is CAD$49

Payment for collision is CAD$291

Payment for comprehensive is CAD$65

For the 2006 Chevrolet HHR 4-door sedan:

Our payment for the 3rd party liability is CAD$540 with a CAD$14 family protection endorsement

Payment for death or bodily injury is CAD$49

Payment for collision is CAD$355

Payment for comprehensive is CAD$179

Service charge for both vehicles (I asume this is the same as your insurance duty) = CAD$62.88

Do you get special deals when you register all cars and the house with the same company?

Our house insurance is CAD$296.64 per year because we have everything ensured with the same company.

Regards,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

I have a 1997 Ford Taurus this is what our Comprehensive Insurance Policy states

Third party property damage..limit of liability..AU$20,000,000

Basic excess AU$400

Our premium is a total of AU$475-80 per year.

Yes, you do get a discount with some insurance companies if you give them all your business.

Our house (building and contents) insurance is a total of $642-48 per year which covers AU$438,700 for the building and AU$110,250 for the contents.

Hope that explains it all to you!

• 4 months later...

Costs

Weekly Monthly Yearly

Rental 500.00 2166.67 26000.00

Car 1 0.00 0.00 0.00

Car 2 0.00 0.00 0.00

Broadband 19.62 85.00 1020.00

Rego 13.46 58.33 700.00

Fuel 30.00 130.00 1560.00

Electricity 23.08 100.00 1200.00

Water 16.35 70.83 850.00

Groceries 250.00 1083.33 13000.00

Car Isurance 10.38 45.00 540.00

HH insurance 5.77 25.00 300.00

Gas 27.69 120.00 1440.00

medical Aid 34.62 150.00 1800.00

Public transport 36.92 160.00 1920.00

School 96.15 416.67 5000.00

1064.04 4610.83 55330.00

Edited by WouterG

I agree with Bronwyn, very helpfull and interesting to compare the prices with Brisbane ;) .

I can only comment on our experiences in Brisbane so far:

Rental Accommodation:

Anything between $380 - $600 per week when you want to live in a radius of approximately 5-7 kms from the city. I've only been looking at 2 bedroom units and were able to find suitable accommodation 180m from a train station and 7kms from the city.

Gas: No experiences so far

Electricity: No experience so far

Water: No experience so far

Childcare: No experience so far

Petrol:

Have not really noticed :ilikeit: , but all I know is that it is cheaper on Tuesdays and gets more expensive towards the weekend.

Transport:

See Translink for tarrifs. Seems somewhat cheaper than Melbourne's, but I am only looking at the price for 2 zones that we will be using.

Groceries:

Although we are only 2 people, we spend an average of $100 per week on groceries.

Motor vehicle registration per annum:

$948.06 for our vehicle - seems a bit expensive when comparing it to Melbourne's :blink: ???

Motor vehicle comprehensive insurance:

We paid $700 per annum, but may go down when we move to the suburbs :ilikeit: . Don't know whether Indooroopilly will qualify for a lower rate :ilikeit: .

Lovies, Pippa!

Pippa hey hows is life suiting you in Brissie,

One suggestion wouldnt it be better if your post were given prominence in a thread titled : Brisbane Cost of living ` just that some people who may be going only to Brisbane may not look at this thread and then miss out on all your wonderful research that you have done , just an idea

Take Care

Shar

Costs

Weekly Monthly Yearly

Rental 500.00 2166.67 26000.00

Car 1 0.00 0.00 0.00

Car 2 0.00 0.00 0.00

Broadband 19.62 85.00 1020.00

Rego 13.46 58.33 700.00

Fuel 30.00 130.00 1560.00

Electricity 23.08 100.00 1200.00

Water 16.35 70.83 850.00

Groceries 250.00 1083.33 13000.00

Car Isurance 10.38 45.00 540.00

HH insurance 5.77 25.00 300.00

Gas 27.69 120.00 1440.00

medical Aid 34.62 150.00 1800.00

Public transport 36.92 160.00 1920.00

School 96.15 416.67 5000.00

1064.04 4610.83 55330.00

Hi Wouter as some one who lived in Melbourne for a long time I was wondering what you based your fuel consumption on, as the current petrol price based at a shell petrol in Diamond Creek (which would be the route out from Hurstbridge to Melbourne) is currently $138.9 see this link http://www.shell.com/home/page/au-en/shell...earch_0221.html

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my gosh, very overwhelming for me, what's the zones? It's definatley going to be a BIG adjustment, looking forward to it, but also very nervous. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

HI Mara

thank you thank you thank you! you really are spot on with all your info... and it does alleviate a lot of my fears.

now, coming from a country where the month on month inflation feels like 20% how much would inflation affect one's budget?

the prices in your first quote was in September 2007 - would you be able to tell us about the increases esp petrol and housing?

tx a mil

Antoinette

Hi Antoinette

Inflation in Aus at present runs at about 3%p.a. I have updated the prices quoted in Sep 07, but only petrol, electricity, gas and train tickets have changed. Hope that answers your question.

Hi guys,

My husband has been to a 'BuyToRent Property in Australia' talk last night here in Cape Town and came back with the following information:

If you do NOT have a credit rating in Australia, you have to cough up 6 months deposit when renting!!! Please tell me this is not true! Or else a very fast way to get a credit rating!

Hi Antoinette

Inflation in Aus at present runs at about 3%p.a. I have updated the prices quoted in Sep 07, but only petrol, electricity, gas and train tickets have changed. Hope that answers your question.

Hi just a quick note to say our friends moved to Melbournbe on 457 visa last eyar and they did not have to do this - so I guess it just depends... what are the others experiences?? Would be good to know what we are all in for!

Hi,

A quick comment. I think it will differ. We got to rent a house through people from our church and did not have to wait at all. We signed the agreement, paid the deposit and the first month's installment. That was it!

So good luck! I'm sure it can and will work out for you as well.

Olie :blush:

It is not the the norm to have to pay six months rent up front, however, if you are applying to rent a house in a specific area and there are not many to go around, the owner may be impressed if you offer to pay six months rent up front and that way you get the house of your choice. Please remember that the rental housing market has become extremely competitive in some areas.

Guest natalie3

Thanks for the great topic..lots of interesting info...keep it coming :blush:

Unfortunately all i can offer is www.ourbrisbane.com..it has a rental section and cool features like maps and most listings tell u how far the area is from the cbd..also the percentages for how much of the area is couples with kids,single persons etc.. and whether there are schools and shops etc in the area..great property site!!

Hi Natalie3

Perhaps you want to repeat your post under 'discussions' then 'communities' and then 'Brisbane'?

It will certainly then help the folks that are heading that way.

If you do NOT have a credit rating in Australia, you have to cough up 6 months deposit when renting!!! Please tell me this is not true! Or else a very fast way to get a credit rating!

Legacy

We did not have credit rating in Aus and my husband's confirmation of employment was enough to ensure us a rental property.

We've paid one month's deposit and one month's rent upfront.

Hi Mara

Thank you very much .

BTW is that a new kitty?

A

Hi Firstworld girl

Happy to have been able to answer your questions - yup, new kitty, but still old person! LOL

• Mara unpinned this topic