What do you get up to online?

Guest Jules

Guest Jules

Hi forumites :)

As we all know, the one thing we have in common, besides the South African connection is that we all visit and participate in this forum. :hug: What I am interested in is what do you do online when you are not here? I thought it would be fun to start a thread where people can share links to interesting websites and discuss them.

I'll start with one I discovered yesterday:

BBC Science and Nature. Human Body and Mind

It has all sorts of interesting facts about psychology, memory, intelligence, instincts etc. There are also quite a few interactive tests that you can do to determine things like how good your memory is, what your personality is (according to my results I am a peacemaker :o ), how good you are at spotting fake smiles ( I got 15/20 for that B) << can you tell if that's fake or not? hehehe), what sex your brain is (mine is slap bang in the middle between male and female :lol:) and lots more. Very interesting, I can recommend it :)

One of my favourites that I always visit is:

Post Secret

It's basically a blog where you can write, on a postcard or anything about the size of a post card, a secret that you have never told anyone before and send it in. You remain anonymous and the secrets get published on the website. You can make your postcard as basic or as artistic as you like and new secrets are put up each Sunday (American time, so we get to see them on Mondays). Some are funny, some are sad, some are tragic, some are shocking, some I can identify with. I think it's a really great initiative and for me it's fascinating to spend a bit of time looking at each one and trying to imagine the person and circumstances behind the postcard. This site gets 2 thumbs up from me :lol::lol:

I will post any more interesting things I come across and I would love it if you could all do the same.

Love

Julie B)

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey Jules,

Interesting question !

I don't really spend a lot of time on one particular site. I use the internet as I need it, for general info and work. Beside this forum there are a few others that I visit regularly, most of them aren't open to the general public. Some of the sites I have visited in the past 48 hours include :

http://www.startpagina.nl/dochters/

I find this a really nice site if I need information or opinions on a specific topic - warning - it's in Dutch

http://www.wahm.com/

I have learnt a lot on this site, as it is a gathering place for moms who work from home. It is very US oriented, but the ladies are generally very helpful and friendly and some of the jobs in IT are specifically non-US jobs.

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/index.html

Nice if you are considering studying something or just interested to see what is out there in terms of studying and keeping your brain active.

http://english.tour2korea.com/

To check out upcoming events in and around the neighbourhood

http://activejeju.com/

The Korean Island known as "The Hawaii of Asia". I am considering a quick holiday, maybe in June...

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbp...l/en/index.html

Another option for a little holiday...

Now I am going to go and check out the ones you have listed. Peacemaker - I can see you being that, mmmm, wonder what I'm gonna be ?

Talk soon

Love from here

TH TH

:hug:

Edited by Seoul Sister

From my side and being a Recruitment Consultant in a new and very competitive market the internet is a huge source of info on companies, business news and trends, salary info and searching for good candidates and networking opportunities, so I merely use it for work, work and more work - except for this forum - and funny enough the each to network for business opportunities led me to the forum!!!!

Definitely visit this site and seek.com.au as well as jobserve and other jobboards every single day!!!

Cheers

Rialet

I use the internet to keep in touch with the news, friends & family and also as a way to settle arguments with my husband :boxing::holy:

When will he learn that I am always right and stop forcing me to log on to all manner of websites to prove it to him :D:D

I checked out the BBC site - it's a goodie Jules, thanks for that. Right up my street! On the Personality Test, I came out as a Go-Getter. I scored 100% on the memory test (at 16 items - haven't tried to go further on that one yet) and have a very girlie brain :blush: I managed to score 14/20 on the fake smiles - hmmmm, thought I'd be better than that :o

WOuld be interested to hear more on this subject.

Love

Ajay

I usually use the internet for keeping up to date on the forum, friends, news and for looking up info for kids projects. I love the fact that you have information that is just ready to be accessed.

Really enjoyed the BBC site, found out I have a masculine brain - hubby vehemently opposed the finding tho. :boxing:

Really enjoyed the BBC site, found out I have a masculine brain - hubby vehemently opposed the finding tho. :blush:

Hie-Hie :boxing:

My favourites are:

www.answers.com and www.mywiseowl.com You can either type in a word, a phrase or a question and you'll get all the facts about that specific topic with heaps of links & related stuff. For instance type in: what is a cranium .... you'll be amazed with all the info you get! My daughter uses both sites for her school assignments & homework and it's absolutely great!

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey everyone,

Wow Jules, your BBC is a really great site !! I'm loving it. Pisces, I have a VERY masculine brain too, and am a provider :holy: I was convinced the program has a bug (provider sounds so unlike me) but my hubs (who is a Pisces too by the way) says it is spot on. He is convinced it explains my cooking... :blush: and is now pushing me to take all of the surveys, hoping to also find an explanation for my spending habits. :boxing:

Love from here

SS

:o

Hi All,

I use it for everything and my favourites list is probably this most organised thing in my whole life. I'm a bit of a Google Earth freak though....I think its a guy thing, maps, aerial photos etc etc. I can actually sit on there for our exploring the details etc of my home town, see our old houses, schools, uni's etc or go and explore new cities, like Rome, New York etc etc.

You gotta check it out. Need broadband though, just type in "Google earth" into Google and download - then the fun starts.

Global BUG!

PS the forum BUG has also infected me so I spend some time on forums chatting away or just reading, about boats, 4X4's, Fishing, Cars......all the guy stuff!

Edited by chatterbug

Hi All,

Here is an example: Greater Brisbane area:

Enjoy

C'BUG

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey,

I also LOVE Google earth. For our move to Texas I used it all the time, to measure distances, etc. I could even go and look at any listed rental property to see how close it is to the schools, shops, churches, etc that I had in mind. It's a fantastic tool, also one of my favourites !! :boxing:

Love the pics of Brisbane, thanks for that, Google Bug !

Love

SS

:blush:

My humblest apologies Larry - How could I do that!..........Caloundra is one of our favourite places! :boxing:

Is this better??

From the promenade towards the tip of Bribie!

My new remote control toy-bird-thingie! PELICANOMOBILE!

Cheers

Beach BUG :blush:

Okay, I have two subjects I am passionate about, making soaps/cosmetics and learning to live as self sufficiently as possible so I visit the following often:

www.the-whisk.us/forums/index.php

www.homestead.org

www.homesteading-today.com

www.motherearthnews.com

and for totally different ideas regarding crafts - sewing, art, clay etc (lots of young people post)

www.craftster.org

Carm

Oh man Chatterbug- I am going green with envy, that is beautiful!

OK so I had to try Jules's personality test and it turns out that I am a 'counsellor' and apparently introvert :boxing: I follow my heart and I am very creative and do best when left to work alone and create my own ideas. I was surprised about the introvert thing but hubby pointed out that although I like people I have a tendency to go off on my own mission. So I guess it's quite spot on (?).

I use the internet mainly for research relating to work. I sit with several windows open and jump from work to whatever else it is that I am doing. I participate in very few forums: hubby's one and this one. The other day I posted a question on 'Voetsekkers', but I don't go there regularly. I keep an eye on political/business issues online as it is easier than reading newspapers.

Google earth is one of my favourites. Especially now that we are moving.

Chat later

Caroline

Just took the personality test and I am a nurturer (hmm, weird)

I use the internet for work and hobbies, although I have found that here in SA we’re just not as “up to speed” as in Aus. I use the BBC foodies site a lot and also shop around for antique, auctions etc. as well as using the net to stay in touch with the ex Saffies.

Guest Larry

Thanks Chatterbug! :)

I wasn't too impressed with Caloundra until I found a job here. - My line of work forces me to see all of Caloundra and the surrounding area. It is really quite pretty.

I have too much office work to do during the working week and so I use the weekends for exploring. Today I did a fair bit of the hinterland.... up to Conondale.

Larry,

Yip I do a fair bit of exploring on weekends too. Love All the dorpies on the Blackall range and the Valley behind it....Conondale, Kenilworth and the rest of the Mary River valley. With my next trip I'm going to explore the rest of the Mary river valley (before they build the new dam) from Kenilworth, Brooloo, Imbil, Kandanga, Amamoor to Gympie and back with the highway! My dream is to have a hobby farm someday so that's why I'm off exploring the platteland so much..... We went to Stanthorpe and Ballandean - Qld's only wine region (in the granite belt) some weeks ago for a long weekend and it was quite good! One of the most renown wine makers over there is a SAFFIE! Have you been?

Enjoy!

Platteland BUG

PS: Larry what do you do for a crust?

Edited by chatterbug

Guest Larry

I work as a traffic engineer for the Caloundra City Council. I have only been here for about 3 months. - I used to work for VicRoads, the Victorian state roads body.

Basically I look after traffic and road safety issues on the Council's roads.

You enjoy the Blackall Ranges? - On Saturday, I went for a drive along them. This is a pic taken from the Flaxton Winery looking towards Caloundra:

P5131920.JPG

No I haven't explored the Granite Belt yet, although I have travelled through it. That might have to wait for some future weekend tour. :)

Edited by Larry

Also did that incredible personality test and I am 50-50 Realist & Strategist. So true! Truly a great site Jules.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the pic - its excellent!

Basically I look after traffic and road safety issues on the Council's roads.

I suppose you have some work on your hands. hehe! That road from Witta, Conondale to Kenilworth was a bit of a shocker the last time I took a round trip!

Any views/ opinions / inside info on the proposed dam in the Mary river valley. I read there were a couple of spots that were selected as possible dam sites (one close to Conondale another at Kidaman creek etc) but the one close to Gympie won??

Nosey BUG

Guest Larry
That road from Witta, Conondale to Kenilworth was a bit of a shocker the last time I took a round trip!

Hehehe! I get to ignore that road. - It is not a Council road, but a DMR road. (DMR = Department of Main Roads).

As for the Mary River dam, there is a lot of unhappiness about the dam's proposed sighting. Common sense dictates that in Australia, being such a large flat country, suitable dam sites are going to be hard to find. Wherever the authorities choose to place the dam is going to seriously disadvantage some people.

The Australians don't have the luxury of suitable dam sites in deep valleys high in the Drakensberg that we had.