QLD - 457 - finishing age - ?

Debra

We are waiting for our final approval on 457 visa to Gladstone QLD. our son has just turnrd 17 and is in Grade 9 in SA. We kept him back a year.

We have had so many contradicting stories about the finishing age in Oz and this is now a major concern. My hubby was advised that Lennard will have to stop school next year as he will turn 18 in August and then he will have to apply for a student visa on his own name as we will not have been given PR by then. If we want to put him into college of sort , this will not be covered by the visa as not PR yet and we will have to fund this ourselves. Is this info correct or has someone the bull by the horns. How dothe fees work on a 457?

This is a concern as we kept him back for his own good and now it seems as ifwe have done him a great injustice.

Please help!!!!!!!

Debra

Hi Debra

I can only tell you/ advise on what we did so hope it will help.

Our Son is now 20, but was 19 when we applied for our 136 PR and the 457.

He was in Technical College in South Africa while we lived in the Seychelles but we sent him money every 2 weeks (not monthly as he would spend it all too fast). We included him on both these visa's as a dependant and had to proove it, i.e. bank statements with transfers etc etc, and a explanatory letter. No worries he got in with us on the 457 and got his PR with us on the 136.

I would suggest you do the PR application as soon as possible after your arrival as you then get a lot more advantages like Medicare for one. I do not know about school fees, maybe Ptlabs or Fiona could clear that one up.

I just spoke to my friends daughter that did her year 12 last year, she says that some of the students turned 19 during their year 12 (June) so it seems as if it would be ok. If not, apparantly there are colleges where he would be able to finish his year 12 if he can not do it in school, so that seems to solve your problem.

Hopefully by that time you guys will have your PR so the cost factor would be less. Just remember that most teenagers/young people have part time jobs here so your expenses would be less as he will be able to pay his own way with many things.

The Aussies are BIG on education so don't worry too much, I am sure there would be a solution.

Good luck

Nilo

Thanks for the advise. Might sleep better tonight. This whole thing has happened so quickly, and i hate not having answers.My daughter has also been put onto our 457 but i now have to prove that i support her to an extent. This is proving rather difficult. but we will persist.

Regards

Debbie

Hi Debbie

Do what ever you can to get your daughter onto your 457!!!! How old is she? What does she do?

Our daughter is married otherwise we would have tried our damdest to get her on our visa.

Remember girls are more dependant/ or rather seen as more dependant on their parents support so play that one up!!!

Good luck

Sleep tight

Nilo

Hi there

Kim is 25, she has a mornings position as a receptionist and her salary is pathetic. without our assistance she can not make it. There are many jobs but unfortunately they want more experience or colour. so she loses out. i have letters from some of the companies that turnrd her down and proof that i pay her rent cash each month (receipts). it is just closer for her totravel than staying with us. beggars can not be chosers. For got toask if you knew anything about the 457 and Len having to apply for a students visa. hope this is a lot of hog..... as he will still be dependant on us. will apply for PR as soon as we possibly can ( for him to)

Debbie

Hi Deb,

Len will deffinitely NOT need his own student visa, he will be as a dependant on your 457 and then PR. I would try and get your daughter in on you 457 as well. I see she is a bit older than the norm but like you say you have receipts etc. Honey I honestly think you'll get her in as well!! Might just have to get the sponsor's approval as they have to sponsor her in too. BUT, as I said the Aussies are very family orientated and I am sure they will understand your position.

Go for it!!

Nilo

our sponsor as asked us to put everyone on to the visa . so i hope he will help. His is an ex - SA to,so i think he understands.

Thanx for all your assistance i really feel better. will let Schalk know about this as he is also in a state.

Have a great day.

Deb's

Hi Debra, we live in Gladstone and although we dont have school age childre, I checked and the 457 visa gives you full work and study rights for spouse and children. The school leaving age is 16 in Queensland but there is a new thing now where if the student wishes to leave school they must be in work - or go to school for a further 2 years. Suggest you log on to www.education.qld.gov.au and contact them by email regarding your queries - but I dont think they push them out. I looked there and they have a mature age student application for a state school but I rather think it said also that you didnt have to apply for that if you were in school when you turned 18. Where are you going to work and have you made contact with other SAs here in Gladstone. There are a lot of them. We have a secondhand business in town and if you stay in contact we will gladly advise you if we can. Good luck and take care as you get to the last lap. You will be amazed at how much you enjoy living without fear ....

Pat

Hi Deb,

Firstly, all your kids are dependants. The boy are still in school, nothing to prove. With the girl, having receipts and maybe bank statements showing transferring money to her, will probable be enough prove.

I suggest make contact with Gladstone State high School, and speak to them. They can give you first hand knowledge of the system here!

Another thing to consider is perhaps TAFE, Technical and Further education. We have one in Gladstone, have a look on this website Central Queensland Institute of TAFE.

A gather hubby will be working for Brian...

HTH

D :whome: