Dodgy areas on the Gold Coast

Guest fishermanswife

Guest fishermanswife

Please could someone advise on not so great area's of the gold coast and possibly why they are not so good.

We have looked at Labrador,Southport,Ashmore,Burleigh heads thus far.

Thanks

FMW :blink:

Please could someone advise on not so great area's of the gold coast and possibly why they are not so good.

We have looked at Labrador,Southport,Ashmore,Burleigh heads thus far.

Thanks

FMW :D

Labrador and Southport are older homes, some areas are a bit dodgy as they are still the cheaper areas and mostly rentals, I would probably compare more like Pinetown near the place of safety if you know where that is although some areas in Southport are really nice and are changing especially those that fall in the area in and around The Southport School - thats a really nice central area with really nice homes. Ashmore is an area with older homes kind of more like New Germany, Burleigh Heads is good, near the beach and some newer homes, not too many school choices too close to Burleigh though, but everything is within 20 mins, If you are wanting something affordable, I would look at Varsity Lakes or Robina as they are pretty central, close to schools, newer homes, near shopping centres and on bus route.

I hope this helps

Heather

(ps if you are wanting to be nearer to Brisbane then I would look at Coomera waters, Hope Island is great but more expensive homes, Monterey keys and Oyster cove are great as well.)

Labrador and Southport as Heather says are a lot of rentals so a couple of unkept properties etc. A graffiti problem there as well. Ashmore is where we are living now but moving next week. Really nice area but very expensive. Where we live in Ashmore the properties are huge and close to the water, mostly new modern designed homes, we can't afford to buy in this area. It is very central and if we could afford it we would buy here.

Burleigh is also nice but traffic is a nightmare and if you work in Brisbane, the traffic down that way in the morning and evening is a nightmare as the roads are not build to cope with the amount of traffic they receive. We all surf so we wanted to live in Burleigh but it wasn't worth the traffic hassles.

You need to take a drive and check out the areas, look at how the gardens are kept, the people in the area, the kids coming out of school, that is what we did and think we have found a place suitable for us. Going in the late afternoons are usually the best as then you get a more realistic idea, weekends too.

Guest fishermanswife

Thanks Heather and Colton.

FM works in Brisbane and really enjoys fishing after work. We were going to look this weekend. I want to work part time as well so need to be Central to work opportunities. FM works south of Bris so it makes sense to stay south of the river. We love GC it is all we imagined and more. I think we'll look at Robina. Are there good schools in the area for girls and any good daycares?

We want to rent a while longer till we have a feel for the area.

Regards

FMW

I like:

Santa Barbara

Helensvale

Hope Island

Coomera Waters

Paradise Point

Jacobswell Estates

Monterey Keys

Oxenford

Regatta Waters

Arundel Hills

Mudgereeba

Robina

Ashmore

Calypso Bay

Hi FMW,

In relation to "daycares" in Robina, my son goes to a really lovely one. Its just off Markeri Str, called Fuji International Kindergarten, and he just loves it. I have been so happy sending him there and have had no problems at all. They take kids from 15months to Pre-prep and I cannot recommend it enough. In fact, it's the one of the main reasons that has had us grappling with whether to stay on the GC! We will be very sad when we have to leave Fuji in 2 months time. :ilikeit::whome:

Also, they recently had a visit done in order to rank their facilities....(sorry, hopeless with the names of official things but can find out if you want) and their results were excellent. Go have a look see, the directors name is Ditas and you will need to find out about waiting lists etc. We were lucky and got straight in at the time but have heard that we were lucky.

Hope this helps!

Cands x

Hi FMW,

In relation to "daycares" in Robina, my son goes to a really lovely one. Its just off Markeri Str, called Fuji International Kindergarten, and he just loves it. I have been so happy sending him there and have had no problems at all. They take kids from 15months to Pre-prep and I cannot recommend it enough. In fact, it's the one of the main reasons that has had us grappling with whether to stay on the GC! We will be very sad when we have to leave Fuji in 2 months time. ;):rolleyes:

Also, they recently had a visit done in order to rank their facilities....(sorry, hopeless with the names of official things but can find out if you want) and their results were excellent. Go have a look see, the directors name is Ditas and you will need to find out about waiting lists etc. We were lucky and got straight in at the time but have heard that we were lucky.

Hope this helps!

Cands x

FMW

I know the school as well, its around the corner from me and is a nice looking school, used to have a south african teacher working there and she really enjoyed the kids in the school.

In relation to good schools :

private

All Saints

St Stephens

Emmanuel

Merrimount

Somerset - only if your child is an academic and copes well under pressure

All co-ed

St Hilda's if you want a girls only school

State schools in the area - Varsity college, Robina State, Benowa and I am not sure of the other areas

Hope this helps - feel free to add to this Queensland girl :ilikeit: (especially up your way)

Guest fishermanswife

Hello Heather,

Thanks so much. We decided on Upper Coomera and FM works in Brisbane so the travelling is not too bad. We can only afford a state school until I am working and thus far have been rather impressed with the state school my daughter is presently in. Her teacher is alot better then her SA teacher back in Westville.

Perhaps someone could assist me with Upper Coomera area. Hope Island is way out of league with properties seeming to start at $1.2m. We can all dream i suppose. We are just happy to be here regardless.

thanks

FMW

Hi FMW

You can buy between $450 000 -$550 000 in Helensvale and Santa Barbara and Oxenford.

Unfortunately I dont know anyone here with their kids in the primary schools but have seen Helensvale Primary School and it looks really nice.

Hello Heather,

Thanks so much. We decided on Upper Coomera and FM works in Brisbane so the travelling is not too bad. We can only afford a state school until I am working and thus far have been rather impressed with the state school my daughter is presently in. Her teacher is alot better then her SA teacher back in Westville.

Perhaps someone could assist me with Upper Coomera area. Hope Island is way out of league with properties seeming to start at $1.2m. We can all dream i suppose. We are just happy to be here regardless.

thanks

FMW

Hi FMW,

Where does your hubby work exactly, We are looking at upper coomera as well and my office is in Coopers Plain, They say it will take approximately 40 mins to get to work providing there is no snags-what is your comments. Which primary school does your daughter attend as we can also only afford this at this point?

Regards Wilfred

Guest fishermanswife
Hi FMW,

Where does your hubby work exactly, We are looking at upper coomera as well and my office is in Coopers Plain, They say it will take approximately 40 mins to get to work providing there is no snags-what is your comments. Which primary school does your daughter attend as we can also only afford this at this point?

Regards Wilfred

Hello Wilfred.

He works in the suburb of Rocklea it is the suburb next door to Coopers plains. Lots of his colleages work and travel to Coomera. It takes about 45 mins or so we have measured it last weekend. There is a state school called Upper Coomera state college. It goes from Prep to year 12. We are having a look at it next week and will let you know. PM if you need any info.

Regards

FMW

Hi Fisherman's wife and Heather

I'm reading this thread with great interest as we are also going to be looking in the Coomera area when we arrive - my sister lives in Coomera Waters. I await with anticipation your findings regarding the school. Please let us know as soon as you have checked it out.

We will only hear about our app next year around May/June, hopefully!

cheers

Lyse

P.S. Fisherman's wife - are you are the lady who ran a cooking business in Westville and you were at the Amarula coffee club and expecting several months ago? Am i thinking of the right person here?

Guest fishermanswife

P.S. Fisherman's wife - are you are the lady who ran a cooking business in Westville and you were at the Amarula coffee club and expecting several months ago? Am i thinking of the right person here?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

My youngest went to Mudgeeraba state school - he loved it there... my twins and youngest went to Robina State High school - at that stage the school was still pretty good but seems to have got a little bit slack with uniforms etc... The Varsity lakes headmistress was the one who started Robina and she had it built up as a really good state school - but I think it is not as good as it was...

I was very happy with the standard of education from these schools and the kids were really happy there....however... I would move them to a private school as soon as I had the money too... I moved my youngest three years ago to All Saints ( the twins never got in to that school so chose to stay at the State school not wanting to make another move) and he is as happy as larry...

I think your Coomera school is still a relatively new school and junior schools seem to be pretty good - I would try and move them for high school tho if I was u...

Guest fishermanswife

Hi Heather,

We have spoken to a few people and decided on Coomera East side of the highway. My daughters will go to CSS until I have completed my degree then I should be able to afford a private high school if it is necessary. :unsure:

There are some lovely state schools and some lovely kids at these state schools too. I think it is the grounding you as a parent put in that makes them make the correct choices in life. Some kids flourish regardless of where they are, state or private.

Regards

FMW

Hey there FMW

We never got the chance to meet in Durban at a coffee club because you'd left already. The people Celeste ise talking about (cooking school) are Mel and her husband (scattering / apache) on the forum. We bumped into them in Hillcrest this past weekend and Mel mentioned you're on the Gold Coast and that we should make contact. We're leaving for our LSD this weekend, but I know we're going to be very busy running around meeting with brokers etc, however it would have been great to meet up for a quick drink.

We used to live in Westville about 18 months ago, and then moved up the hill to Kloof.

Anyway it would be great to keep in contact in future months.

bye for now

Lisa

Edited by Lisa T

Good Choice FMW.

It is perhaps an older school than Upper Coomera State College, but it also has the traditions, big trees, and all that goes with that.

Do you have to live in their "catchment" area?

Hi Heather,

We have spoken to a few people and decided on Coomera East side of the highway. My daughters will go to CSS until I have completed my degree then I should be able to afford a private high school if it is necessary. :unsure:

There are some lovely state schools and some lovely kids at these state schools too. I think it is the grounding you as a parent put in that makes them make the correct choices in life. Some kids flourish regardless of where they are, state or private.

Regards

FMW

I am sure you will be happy with the CSS - I agree it is the grounding you give them and like attracts like - so they will gravitate towards kids that are the same as them...

When you have arrived and settled you will have to come and join all us ladies for the ladies lunch as it helps you to meet lots of people in your area and will help you to settle more..

regards

Heather