Jump to content

Tjaart: Hi, Queensland or bust


Octavius
 Share

Recommended Posts

Howzit, I'm in the process of applying for permanent residence. Just waiting for Unabridged Birth certs. Everything else incl. skills assessment done. I'm now a Pr. Eng. in Australia and my wife can teach sec. school.

Problem I have though, is do I start applying for job now or wait for residence visa. Obviously if I resign out of my current job I have no chance of getting it back, if residence is turned down.

Although I have enough points for the Visa, I'm worried about the medical. My wife has degenerative eye disease (Stargardts disease) and my one daughter (7 yrs old) has 40% hearing loss. Wonder if anybody has experience with something like this. Some advice would be great.

A little bit about myself, I'm 38 turning 39 in August, my wife is 36 and we have two daughters 7 and 9. We're planning on going to Brisbane, if everything works out. I have scanned the net for jobs and it seems ok. I'm an Electrical engineer with 12 yrs. System Operator experience.

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tjaard

I personally would not resign until you have the PR stamp in your passport don’t burn you bridges. I have PMed you some info as well.

You could also speak to Ettiene Hugo he is an immigrations Lawyer. Pippa has been recommending him highly he possibly could give you some insight into the whole situation. I suggest you Pm her for his details.

Edited by sonnetjie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree 100% with Sonnetjie!!!

I have also sent a PM. Our son has Stargardst and it would be good to keep contact. We in Australia on a 457 Visa and their might be a couple of options I have elloborated on in the PM.

Cheers

Rialet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

We have recently moved to Brisbane on PR.

Our timeline was 10 months to the day from date of submission to date of approval. (this was after skill assessments etc).

I did not tell my employer until after medicals were completed (and fortunately there were no medical complications) and once I had submitted my police clearance, I gave 3 months notice. Even waiting until then it took 2 months longer then expected, and I was forced to take a temp assignment for those 2 months.

So I would suggest not being in a rush to tell your employer, rather hang in there a bit and see how things progress, its tough to be left without a job at a time when you are counting every cent.

Good Luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jules

Hi Tjaart,

Welcome to the forum. I would agree with what everyone has said regarding your job. Once you have the visa stamped in your passport you have a year before having to be in Australia so that should give you plenty of time to look for a job and tie up everything there.

Good luck with everything that lies ahead. We are also in Brisbane, as are a few others on the forum, so if you need any info specific to Bris/ Queensland just let us know :ilikeit:

Julie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Tjaart,

We have been here in Brisbane for over two years and also came in on PR. My advice is to hold on to your job over there until you have that visa in your passport AND you have a reasonable expectation to leave within the next couple of months.

I think its OK to scan the jobsites on the net but I wouldn't make any drastic moves till you know your move is imminent. It is quite a difficult thing because most people want to be honest with their employers, but if you can hold off telling them rather do it. We were in the same situation and it was not very nice but sometimes you need to look after yourself. It is a bit of that "life on pause" stage where you are excited about the prospects of potentially immigrating but realising that everybody might not be a enthusiastic about the move as you are, especially your current employer.

With the current skills shortages in Australia and the candidate short market over here I don't think you'd have much problems in securing a job after arrival (provided you are reliable, competent etc. etc. also make sure you have references) You could start the search some time before you actually leave and "hit the ground running" over here as it were.

Mate, we know about the worries re the medicals etc. - it is very normal but not really something that you can do anything about, just wait and see, I think they are looking for the "big ticket" medical issues like TB, Aids etc. I know many others who have passed their medicals with worse medical conditions.

Brisbane is a great place, please feel free to shoot through any other questions you might have.

Regards

C' bug

Edited by chatterbug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies and support. It has really helped me in my decision of my next step. I will wait for the PR before jumping. It is just my (and my wife's) impatience to go err come to Aus. Once the decision is made the waiting and life on hold (no home improvements etc.) becomes frustrating. Also, what did all of you do with your pensions, cash it out, leave it, I'm just wondering. All these small things what to do what to do. The documentation and applying is not the hassle its the logistics of the move I think that's going to be the hassle. What to bring with what to leave (no I don't mean my wife hehe). We are going to a moving companies seminar on the 24th. I know it is still early days for us but I want to know okay.

Regards

Tjaart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The waiting period can be very nerve wrecking but there are so many things to do to keep you busy. We did not have the luxury of time and had to wrap our lives in SA up in about 3 months (and 2 businesses) - that is where the ulcers are probably from... :hug:

Make a to do list and work systemtically from that and ask a lot of questions to those that have been through this exercise - valuable advise will be received. We all do things differently and what we believe should be the best for us and our families but advise is always welcome.

We have only been here 4 months and if I had to do this all over again I can think of a hell of a lot improvements to our plan of action we had.

We did not have the luxury of pensions but I am sure someone could give some advise on options available. Try and bring in what you can (pension cash out, savings and profits from house and car sales etc), decide what you need to get going here and invest the rest even if it is on a short term basis as you then do not have direct access to your funds (can be very tempting to use some of it).

Good to attend a seminar on relocating companies (sjoe ek het nie geweet dit word aangebied nie!!!) and take time to make decisions.

We are a number of forumites from Brisbane that can help with info on school, suburbs etc etc

Good luck

Rialet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Tjaart

Hang in there, most of us knows what it feels like. Try as much to enjoy the time left over there and spend as much time with your family during this stage, believe me you'll miss them a lot later. Try to visit places you've always wanted, do trips down memory lane, visit old friends and buddies/colleages, go to that national park or game park now squeeze in as much as you now possibly can (without spending all the very necessary cash that is)

Without knowing your exact situation I'd take all my cash and pension money out and use it on this end, you'll need it. You can always put money away over here for pension purposes, but it could be handy for liquidity purposes over here or to obtain credit for e.g. Also I'll not leave my pension money in a country where I have no intention of going back to. ("Ver van jou geld naby aan jou skade!") It might be different for you though!

Good luck and vasbyt boet!

C'bug

Edited by chatterbug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Hi Tjaart

Jy is nie dalk 'n oud Florrie nie? Ek is seker ek was saam met 'n Tjaart vdW op Florida Hoerskool. Ons is in New Zealand maar trek Januarie Ozz toe, ek lees maar wat almal gesels.

Minette (Beyers) Brits

Howzit, I'm in the process of applying for permanent residence. Just waiting for Unabridged Birth certs. Everything else incl. skills assessment done. I'm now a Pr. Eng. in Australia and my wife can teach sec. school.

Problem I have though, is do I start applying for job now or wait for residence visa. Obviously if I resign out of my current job I have no chance of getting it back, if residence is turned down.

Although I have enough points for the Visa, I'm worried about the medical. My wife has degenerative eye disease (Stargardts disease) and my one daughter (7 yrs old) has 40% hearing loss. Wonder if anybody has experience with something like this. Some advice would be great.

A little bit about myself, I'm 38 turning 39 in August, my wife is 36 and we have two daughters 7 and 9. We're planning on going to Brisbane, if everything works out. I have scanned the net for jobs and it seems ok. I'm an Electrical engineer with 12 yrs. System Operator experience.

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...