new Australian taxes.

Bob

The Australian financial year is exactly diametrically opposed to the calendar year.

It begins on 1st July, ending on 30th June each year.

To implement any changes to taxation, welfare, etc. the Australian Treasurer (or Chancellor of the Exchequer, in the U.K.) announces the government's budget for the coming year in May.

Traditionally, this has been delivered on the second Tuesday in May and is known by Aussies as the "May Budget"

The Australian Treasurer releases the coming year's budget after the 7 o'clock news.

Australia is expected to have a A$14,000,000,000 surplus, so look out for the chocolate sweets being thrown all over the place to everybody.

Christmas come early??

Well, I see that Bob posted than on budget day, but before the magic time that the details were revealed.

It looks like his prediction about Christmas was spot on, particularly when it comes to the unexpected changes to superannuation.

I find myself thinking “too good to be true”. Unfortunately, there's many a slip twixt what gets announced on budget night and what ends up in the actual legislation.