Average age to finish High School in Australia

Anja

Hi Everybody,

I would just like to know what the average age is to finish High School in New South Wales.

We'll be leaving on the 26 of this month :ilikeit: for Muswellbrook - 3 and a half hours from Sydney.

One hour from Newcastle.

My daugther is 14 now Grade 8 but will only join us the beginning of next year.

Keep well.

Anja. :ilikeit:

About 18.. same as in SA.

Don't know if it's different in Queensland but my daughter just turned 18, in matric, and she is one of the oldest in her class, most of the kids in year 12 are only turning 17 this year.

Colton is correct. The average age of a matriculant in Queensland is 17.

They also start driving a car at 17.

Haai jy

Ons bly so in nsw maar so 1000km van Sydney, my meisiekind is presis so oud soos jou ne- van die kinders in haar klas is 'n jaar jonger as sy, maar ek sal se dit is so 50% 13 en 50 % 14 jaar

suzette

hi all

We are coming over on a 457 and our son is 17 (just turned 17). We kept him back a year at schoolso he is no where near nearly finished with school.

Now the problem. My hubby was advised by someone who is also on there way that as Lennard will be 18 next year he will have to finish up even if he is not in his final yaer and will have to go to college or the equvalent. This will apparently be for our account as we will not have residency at that stage. he will also have to reaply for a student visa as he will no longer fall under ours.

Please could someone help, as i am about to change my mind about thewhole thing due to this. it is bad enough having to leave one child in SA.

Going to have sleepless nights.

Debra

Hi Deb

Hope you see my reply on your other post! He will at least be able to finish year 11 as far as my calculations goes. That will be in 2 years time and by then you'll have your PR so no worries.

Go doedoe nicely and don't worry! It will all be good! You guys will have soooo much money by then that it wouldn't even dent the budget!!!!

Lovies

Nilo

Hi again

Got your reply..

You really know how to make someone feel better.

Just so much to do in so little time.

Debbie,

Remember what they say about eating and Elephant!!!!

ONE BITE AT A TIME!!!!

Don't look at the BIG job, do one little job and finish it then the Big one seems just soo much smaller!!

Lovies

Nilo

Debra,

If your son is only in year 9 and 17yrs old then you MAY have a problem. My daughter turned 18 in August this year and she is in year 12. When we came over on the 457 I requested that perhaps it would be better if she redid year 11 so she wouldn't have as much pressure going into her final year in a new country with a totally new syllabus. None of the schools we approached were happy to let her redo year 11 as she was already a year ahead of most of the kids. The majority here in Queensland finish year 12 when they are 17 years old.

Maybe you meant year 11, the old std 9? Then it shouldn't be a problem and they should allow him to complete matric next year. Whether you have Permanent Residency or are only on a 457 you will still be liable for school fees in TAFE and University. Only when you have Citizenship do you qualify for fee assistance, it can be a strain but much more worthwhile than studying in RSA. I have one at TAFE, technicon, one at University and one going to University next year. Just remember that to survive and live in this country is much more doable than back in good old South Africa, if you are only putting one through college or whatever you WILL manage.

Seeing as your son is still at school the easiest way to get him in here is on your 457 visa, once he is no longer dependent on you his chances will decrease dramatically, for his sake, whether he goes to college or school, bring him over NOW!!! Our oldest had to come on his own student visa and that can be VERY expensive and exceptionally frustrating. Staying in South Africa for "his sake" would be to his disadvantage, in my humble opinion.

Hopefully this has helped a little,

Colton

Hi Colton

Thanx for all the assistance. Will be contacting the necessary ASAP.

Have a good one

Regards

Debra

Well Nilo

You got a point and this elly aint going to get me down..

Hugs and thanx

Debra

• 1 month later...

I agree with Colton - we moved my son in Year 11 to come over here as we were "Advised" by everyone it was the right thing to do - well, it was - no looking back - he also felt it was a good thing as he managed to make friends before going off to Uni...

(I have an exchange student living with me - he is 18 in year 11 and at a State school - he is way way older than anyone in his class as they are all 15 (QLD) - he does find this a little bit of a problem in that they are all so much younger - but they adapt )

Hope this helps

Heather

My daughter is turning 17 in November. When we came over in July 2007 she was in the middle of her year 11 in RSA. On seeing the principal (my daughter was happy to do this even before we left RSA) his advice was for her to join the year 10's for the rest of the year she will sit in for tests, exams etc to get her into the system and subjects as they choose their subjects the end of year 10. She is loving it and I think it was the best for her.