Container Sharing

DesertDaisy

We have an unusual situation in that our "stuff" is all over the place. We have some goods here with us in Abu Dhabi, and a whole lot more back home in Johannesburg. The stuff we have here is probably going to be able to be sent as excess baggage as there are only a few boxes (mostly kids toys) some small kitchen appliances and two kids bicycles.

The stuff back home in Joburg will probably be too much for excess baggage but too little for a whole container (we sold off most of our stuff before we came to the Middle East). Where would I advertise to find someone willing to share a container with me?

Any other recommendations?

Guest Jules

Hi Desert Daisy :ilikeit:

I'm not an expert as we bought our own container but I would ask the removal companies to give you quotes based on a shared container. If you tell them what you are wanting to ship they should be able to give you an indication of how much space it will take up and therefore what it will cost to ship in a shared container.

Julie

Most of the relocation companies can offer you shared container space, but... you have less control of the container if shared, meaning the company will fill the container when a suitable load is available and that might take time!

Thus using the 'cheaper' option of shared container might delay your container with a couple of days/weeks because sending it right a way is not priority!

The best is to phone around for a couple of quotes! Most of the saffies here has found the bigger companies tend to give "better" service!

Danie