Hello folks

Dan Tanne

I have been lurking on the site for a couple of weeks now, but only recently registered.

I would just like to say hello to everyone, and thank those that set up this site for an amazing bit of work.

My family and I are on the way to Melbourne, but are still waiting for the PR visa.

Going for the English exam on 8 September in Cape Town (even though we JHB based) and then we just need to wait for the visa to be processed. They have all the other docs already.

We applied in my wifes name, and only she is required to write the English exam. :blush:

I don't have all the exact dates with me at the moment, so i will put an accurate timeline on the correct thread when I can, but for those that read this, our papers were received by the ASPC on 24th November 2006. A case officer was assigned at the beginning of August 2007, when the medicals, police clearance etc was requested.

I have submitted everything, and now all they await are the English test results.

Hopefully once they receive that in a couple weeks time, processing will get well underway, because I am hoping to get there in mid January so my kids can start school on 1 Feb.

Hi Dan Tanne

Welcome to the Forum, good to hear that you are so far along. Good luck with the English, your wife will be ok, it isn't that difficult.

Robert & Telanie

Hi Dan Tanne!

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find it most useful.

Just as a matter of interest: Why do you not have to write the IELTS test? How are you proving your english ability?

In our case, my spouse is not writing the IELTS test, because she studied a diploma in english and worked in England for 2 years. How does it work in your case?

Just hoping to find somebody with the same situation as ours for verification....

Good luck with the process!

Regards

Werner

Hi Dan Tanne!

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find it most useful.

Just as a matter of interest: Why do you not have to write the IELTS test? How are you proving your english ability?

In our case, my spouse is not writing the IELTS test, because she studied a diploma in english and worked in England for 2 years. How does it work in your case?

Just hoping to find somebody with the same situation as ours for verification....

Good luck with the process!

Regards

Werner

HI Werner

My husband is also not writing the test. We are going on a 137 visa to NSW and I am the main applicant so he does not have to prove his English ability. Even though I did English at varsity as a subject and got a distinction for English in matric - they are still making me write the exam!

Perhaps Dan and his wife are on a similar visa?

Cheers

Belinda

HI Werner

My husband is also not writing the test. We are going on a 137 visa to NSW and I am the main applicant so he does not have to prove his English ability. Even though I did English at varsity as a subject and got a distinction for English in matric - they are still making me write the exam!

Perhaps Dan and his wife are on a similar visa?

Cheers

Belinda

We going on a 136 MODL visa.

My wife and I both submitted affadavits that we English speakers and that our schooling and university degrees were done at English universities.

Because my wife is in the health profession, and she is the main applicant, she has to do the IELTS test, but they said I do not have to. They say that the criteria are much stricter for the primary applicant.

Hi Dan Tanne

If there is anything I can help you with, just PM or email me!

Thanks for the info re. the IELTS, feel a bit more at ease now.

Yes primary applicant allways has to write IELTS if only in possession of SA passport/Citizenship.

BUT spouse/dependant can prove (lower) english ability in other ways.

Hi Dan Tanne

If there is anything I can help you with, just PM or email me!

Thanks Mara,

I may take you up on that offer. So far everything is going according to plan for us.

Oh, and by the way, just call me Dan. No need to be formal. :ilikeit: