Just about off to North Queensland

Guest euroble

Guest euroble

Hi There,

I wish I knew about this forum 2 years ago when I started with my migration process.

It would have made life a whole lot easier.

Any how, I went through agents and obtained a sub class 495 visa for Queensland.

Being over 30 (32) and going as a single person could not quite get me the 120 points needed.

I ended up with 115 points and had to apply for state sponsorship, thus the sub class 495 visa for Queensland.

That said, I got my visa on 2 July 2007, I must admit that I was over the moon to get it.

I am heading to Aus at the end of this month.

And will have to start the daunting process of looking for accommodation and employment when I arrive.

This has got to be the scariest thing I have done in my life.

A real leap of faith....

At least I will spend the first week or two with a friend of mine in Perth WA, before heading across to Cairns.

So hopefully will be feeling a bit more sure footed when I get to Cairns.

I am truly hoping to settle in Cairns but am not too sure as it is not the largest "city" in Queensland.

Thus finding employment there may be a bit of a struggle.

But I have been in contact with some local employment agents and have meetings setup on arrival.

<<So let’s all please hold thumbs>>

My next option will be to head down the coast to Townsville.

Not as beautiful as Cairns but more abundant with work.

That’s me in a very small nut-shell and thanks Riekie for the prompt.

Also thanks to Dedrei for the information sent on Cairns.

Just an off-the-cuff question, is there any one who knows of reasonable and reasonably priced accommodation in Cairns?

Cheers for now...

Hi euroble

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you didn't found the site before. But congrats on geting your visa. Enjoy Aus, and let us know how everything is for you.

Telanie

Howzit Euroble, I'm in Cairns and its chalk and cheese compared to Townsville. There is work in Cairns, it's growing phenomenally. I'm leaving soon for a holiday, fortunately I suffer from the affliction of itchy feet hehehehe. Cheap accommodation in Cairns is available - you can find a house share to start off with. It's a really lovely town (they call it a city but its only got 120 K people here and spread out so feels like less).

Anyways, I gotta get going for a beach walk. Later, Michael